Join Early Retirement Today

Day 1 of the rest of my life....
Old 01-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Day 1 of the rest of my life....

Hard to believe but finally here! so much planning to get here, will need a few years to figure out what comes next. find myself between anticlimactic and anxious.

So today I took the polar bear plunge in lake George. So far I find ER cold.
Hnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnicols View Post
So today I took the polar bear plunge in lake George. So far I find ER cold.
Don't worry, you'll warm to it in no time.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Don't worry, you'll warm to it in no time.
Hope I have 3 or 4 decades to try! Feels odd though after 30 years of running flat out and traveling non-stop to have no tomorrow "I've go to...."
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Whoohoo! Congratulations.
So glad for you. What do you look forward to now that you are finally RE? Any short term goals or long term?
What was your "trigger" to declare FIRE?
I'm still not FIRE, so I really appreciate the encouragement of seeing others meet their goals and take the plunge. (Not necessarily into Lake George).
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
gone traveling

Congrats. Now you'll have more time to spend in or on Lake George. I went to school a little south of there, beautiful country, enjoy!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Come on, reward yourself. Congrats!

Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! I am truly happy for you as that is quite an accomplishment. Enjoy!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! You are an inspiration to me. If in doubt, then just follow this advice....

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee
Whoohoo! Congratulations.
So glad for you. What do you look forward to now that you are finally RE? Any short term goals or long term?
What was your "trigger" to declare FIRE?
I'm still not FIRE, so I really appreciate the encouragement of seeing others meet their goals and take the plunge. (Not necessarily into Lake George).

I think you eventually have to decide to just do it and not get to caught up in forever planning. I really liked my job, was the boss, and got paid lots. But as the years slipped by I realized that this could be it and i could do it forever. Not that that would be terrible, but I believe we only get one ride in life and I want "something" more. So I started to plan an exit only to find it almost impossible to settle on "what next," with the result that I rode this career a few years longer. I finally decided that I needed to stop plotting all of the future and instead just set a date to start living in the future.

Not a lot of logic to that but I was taught that when Cortez came to conquer the new world he had no plan. Instead, he borrowed from the lore of the Greeks, and when his boats landed on the strange shore his first order to his troops was "burn the boats." Knowing that there was no way back, the landing party had to find a way forward. A historic application of making necessity in order to mother invention.

My translation of that lesson ( which is likely historically inaccurate) was that if I waited for a plan to form I would never act. So I spent the last few months burning the boats. Now we will plan because necessity leaves me no choice. But at least initially i plan to plan only 5 or 6 months at a time. So on to new adventures!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! I found when I retired a new life took awhile to form with only a little planning . I live in Florida so my idea of a Polar bear plunge would be the Atlantic in august !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats. Hope you have a wild ride!
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #12

Congrtas - I am jealous. I just got back from a Caribbean cruise and kept thinking how I wish I didn't have to go back to work. Enjoy your new life stage!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnicols View Post
Hope I have 3 or 4 decades to try! Feels odd though after 30 years of running flat out and traveling non-stop to have no tomorrow "I've go to...."
It does feel kind of funny, but pretty soon you find out "I've got to ..." gets replaced by "I don't have to..." and then "I want to...", and "let me think about this some more". "What's the rush?" as well.
My favorite response, though, is when someone asks "do you know what time it is?" "uhhh, no."
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #14

Congrats! Hope that you enjoy your new life.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened! Breathe life as if it were your last breath.

Four and a half years in and I am having a great ride! Nothing like I would have planned. Way Better.

YES!!

Edit: Activity, exercise and interacting with people are your friends. TV and stagnation are not. Moderation in all things. YMMV
Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It does feel kind of funny, but pretty soon you find out "I've got to ..." gets replaced by "I don't have to..." and then "I want to...", and "let me think about this some more". "What's the rush?" as well.
My favorite response, though, is when someone asks "do you know what time it is?" "uhhh, no."
Funny. So far I am not having trouble answering what day it is, but I hear I may lose track of time and day eventually...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! I am nowhere near FIRE, but I love reading this board for the inspirational stories.
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Funny. So far I am not having trouble answering what day it is, but I hear I may lose track of time and day eventually...
I have less problem with what time it is - I still wear a watch out of habit and because we do orient our daily lives to a certain extent (lots of Dr. visits unfortunately). But, oddly, I do occasionally forget the date (not the day). YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #19

congrats
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #20

Congrats! What a good start to a new year!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote