Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Even the cows grow a bit faster with the extra hour as they can eat longer. Imagine an extra hour a day just to eat and grow. It really makes a difference when you multiply the effect over millions of cattle.
Do cows have wristwatches?[/QUOTE]

I believe the poster was showing his contempt explaining the overreach of government
but yes Cows can tell time-if you ever saw the cows coming home on a dairy farm you would agree.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Anyone here from Indiana, the state which until a few years ago had the most screwed-up rules about time zones and its partial observance of DST. I don't live there but I am glad it straightened them out by the time I went there back in 2014.
I lived in Indiana for 30 years. The biggest problem was people that didn't understand we didn't change our time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post

Very good!

My Father was a farm boy, Mom was a city girl. Mom thought DST was for the farmers, Dad thought is was for the city folks.

Nobody wants it - why is it still a thing?

I've heard about the increased accidents in the week after the time change. That actually makes sense, between sleep disruption, and people rushing either because they are late, or think they are late - it adds up. So it's not just inconvenient, it's dangerous.

Why is it still a thing?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #44
gone traveling

Why not just split the differnce by a half hour and call it good?
hurricane harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I lived in Indiana for 30 years. The biggest problem was people that didn't understand we didn't change our time.
That's an understatement. Indiana used to have three times zones - it was very confusing to conduct business/arrange flights!
  • 11 counties - 6 in NW Indiana near Chicagoand and 5 in SW Indiana near Evansville, Indiana observed the Central Daylight -Saving Time Zone.
  • 5 counties in SE Indiana near Cincinnatti observed Eastern Daylight-Saving Time Zone.
  • The rest of the state did not observe daylight savings until 2006.
Indiana "only" has two time zones now...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #46

As a retired person - who cares... You wake up when you wake up... you go to sleep when you want.

That said - I have school age kids - so I do have to follow the DST ritual still....
Old 03-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
As a retired person - who cares... You wake up when you wake up... you go to sleep when you want.

That said - I have school age kids - so I do have to follow the DST ritual still....

That's my philosophy now that I'm retired (minus the school-aged kids).

Once per month I volunteer at the firehouse fundraiser breakfast. I'm chief egg cracker, so I start at 6 a.m. to be ready for an 8:00 start. Breakfast is always the second Sunday...so the switch to DST will force me to get up extra early this month. But it's no big deal, since I can nap in the afternoon if necessary and/or sleep in on Monday.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's an understatement. Indiana used to have three times zones - it was very confusing to conduct business/arrange flights!
  • 11 counties - 6 in NW Indiana near Chicagoand and 5 in SW Indiana near Evansville, Indiana observed the Central Daylight -Saving Time Zone.
  • 5 counties in SE Indiana near Cincinnatti observed Eastern Daylight-Saving Time Zone.
  • The rest of the state did not observe daylight savings until 2006.
Indiana "only" has two time zones now...
Three of the 5 SE counties are near Louisville, KY, which, like Cincy, is in the Eastern Time Zone and observes DST.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

My first odd encounter with Indiana's odd time zones was back in the summer of 2001 when I was on a plane going from NY to Cincy. The passenger sitting next to me was connecting to a short flight to Indianapolis. Back then, Indy was an hour behind Cincy because Indy did not observe DST and Cincy did. But printed on his ticket, his 45-minute flight would arrive in Indy 15 minutes before it left Cincy (all local times).

My ladyfriend lived and worked in Louisville, KY, before she moved to NY 11 years ago. Sometimes, her work (for a doctor) had her traveling to his several satellite clinics in the Louisville area including several in Indiana north of those which unofficially observed DST. This caused some scheduling snags because those clinics were an hour behind her main office in Louisville and sometimes the patients actually lived in those nearby IN counties. Some patients mistakenly ended up waiting an hour for her group to arrive there.

In 2014 when she and I took Amtrak to Louisville (via Indy), we arrived at 5:30 AM on a Saturday morning in late June to wait 3 hours until the nearby car rental office opened so we could rent a car and drive just under 2 hours south to Louisville. It was only 3 hours because both cities had the same time in the summer. Had this been before 2006 when Indy was an hour earlier than Louisville (in the summer), we would have arrived at 4:30 AM and had to wait an extra hour for the rental car office to open only to instantly give that hour back when we crossed time zones again on the way to Louisville.

Years ago, I had an online chat friend who lived in New Zealand. They observe DST but being in the southern hemisphere, they move their clocks in the opposite direction from us in the spring and fall. And they don't move their clocks on the same weekends as we do. So, sometimes we would be 14 hours apart and sometimes we would be 12 hours apart. And for a few weeks in spring and fall, we'd be 13 hours apart. Made it tough to find each other on line sometimes. And another online friend, from China, never heard of DST because they don't change their clocks.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #49

I think we are, as a society, just getting used to having midday at 1pm instead of 12 for most of the year. Stores and other places of business that used to open at 8 or 9 when I was a kid, now open at 9 or 10, similarly stop work times have shifted later. We can fool ourselves, not so easily mother nature.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I wish they would just abandon the whole concept of DST.

Me too. It's not natural. I can't stand getting ready for w*rk in the dark. Oh wait... 3 and a half months from now, that won't be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum