Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Diaries, Journals, Logs - do you keep them, and why and how?
Old 06-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I mentioned something about this in the Hobbies thread, then did a quick search of ER and couldn't find much at all. That surprised me. Maybe photography has taken over that function.

I occasionally kept them over the years, but didn't hit my stride until retirement. The ones from my youth and young adulthood were sparse and filled with misery, self-doubt, and self-admonitions and self-improvement efforts. As I was reorganizing after retirement, I came across a couple and ended up throwing them out. I'm not that person anymore and don't need to read any of that again. When I started birding, I kept a few records describing sightings and locations in handwritten booklets that I can't seem to find now. Then I migrated online to the old Sidekick (remember that??) and kept some records which were lost to either computer crashes or obsolescence of software. (sad, as I would like to have read them).

Once I retired, I got better and better at keeping a diary, and have now managed daily entries for more than 2 years. Mine is a diary, not a journal, more a record of daily activities than deep thoughts or summaries of current events. I find if I don't do it the days escape me and run together, and I wonder "where did the time go." With a diary, I can pretty easily recall things.

With the decline of steady correspondence, I wonder how historians of the future will piece together the daily experiences of individuals. One reason I dislike texting for more than immediate needs is that it provides no record and no context. I wonder whether historians would be more interested in musings about current events or crises, or whether they'd really love to know about how we spent our time!

What about you? Do you keep any kind of daily record? If so, what kind? Is it paper or online? Why do you keep it? I use MS OneNote because of the superior formatting and indexing capabilities. Each year is a new file with 12 tabs by month and notes arranged in daily order with subject headings composed of a few keywords about what was most memorable for that day. I made a template that makes it easy to record a brief mention of weather and whether I did my exercise or a bird trip that day. Sounds more complicated than it is! I'd actually like to put more effort (e.g. upload a photo or two) than I do, but haven't found the time yet. Have any of you found superior journaling applications?

I thought about making this a poll, but believe there are probably too few doing this to make it worthwhile.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post

I thought about making this a poll, but believe there are probably too few doing this to make it worthwhile.
No, I don't keep a diary or journal, offline or online.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had one as a kid ( I think many girls did). Burned it when I got older, dint want to re read that teenage angst!

DH and I wrote many letters and cards to each other early in our relationship when we went to different colleges. Found them many years later and shredded them. Some things you don't want your kids to read about you!

As far as today, no, I don't journal. I know many who do.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No, I don't keep a diary or journal, offline or online.

Same here.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
Administrator

I think many of the posts in this forum are similar to journal entries.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My Garmin watch, synced with Strava, gives me a log of my running. I don't make a whole lot of use of it other than tracking mileage on each shoe, but occasionally I do go back and look at training cycles, places I've run, mile split times on past races, things like that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:30 AM   #7

A long time ago I took it out to the alley and burned it after the Ex got into it.
Have not kept one since, except for vacation sometimes.
To some extent photos have taken over.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #8
Administrator

I keep a daily journal whenever we travel. Reading them, even years later, immediately brings a clear picture to mind of all the lovely experiences we have had.

I also keep a journal regarding my garden, so that I can, for example, find out how long after I planted them the watermelons germinated last year. Or figure out what worked best to kill the bean beetles. I only make an entry when I go to the garden or do something else garden related, like start seeds in my kitchen. But that is usually daily from the beginning of March through the end of October.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:24 PM   #9

I have kept written journals for years. I discovered that I like to write! They are in small journal books here and there in our house. Not sure if anyone other than me would ever be interested. I don't write every day and sometimes I write to myself.

I also make garden notes for next year and refer to my pictures for things that need moved or changed in the spring.

I have a yoga teacher who has always encouraged journaling and included it in her workshops, so that is how I got started.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I was never a journaler (tried unsuccessfully a few times). On a related note, I bemoan the loss of regular written records since the advent of the digital age. Recently my sister sent me several years of correspondence that my father had written to my mother when he was stationed overseas in the 40's and 50's. They are detailed and give a great insight into his life and thoughts at the time. Unfortunately tweets just don't do the same
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

No journaling. That would be telling
Old 06-14-2022, 03:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The best journal I’ve read is Jonathan Harker’s journal in the classic novel Dracula by Bram Stoker.

Now that guy REALLY had something to write about! [emoji3]

[ADDED] In case you haven’t read it, the novel consists mostly of journal entries and letters by the principal characters (except the Count himself). Very readable despite the fact that it was published in 1897 and plenty of free e-versions out there.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:48 PM   #13

I have in a notebook for the last couple years. Mostly what happened between the last entry and occasionally my mood and deeper thoughts. I'm sporadic but rare that I miss more than a week. I don't write as much as I thought I would and not sure the value other than interesting to look back on at some point. I've kept a journal a few other times in life but always fizzled out.. those I usually started when "stuff" was happening so I sound like I was mostly unhappy reading those since when things got good I was enjoying the good and not brooding in the journal. This one is much more balanced and overwhelmingly positive.

I also started a "ships log" for my paddling at the start of the year. 22 ventures so far.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:09 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

My father has kept a diary of the contents of his days (as opposed to the contents of his soul) for probably 30 years. I know he refers back to them from time to time when trying to remember something.

I started it last year, though I did it for a number of years in an app I built to track my weight (yeah yeah). I'm doing it in a day book now, and I find it oddly relaxing to take maybe five minutes late in the day to document the day. Feels like something I will keep doing.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:15 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I keep daily notes. Not notes of things that I've done, but notes of ideas, sketches, items to buy, etc.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

During the Great Recession I kept a journal about what I did with my investments and why. Now I just log the portfolio value and AA monthly. When DW and I travel, we keep a journal of our daily activities to include in the photo book that we make about the trip afterward.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have Excel files for a few things:

1) Tasks, exercise, past reads and future reads, gardening, car upkeep - generally updated daily. For exercise it is one tab per year to record running miles, shoe wear miles, walking miles

2) Investments file: diary tab is for investment thoughts. I try to keep this very concise so not too many sentences per year. The other tabs are one sheet showing portfolio for each year. Have this back to at least 2005.

I don't keep any chronicle of an emotional nature. Maybe I should?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

I could have written your post. I too have angst-ridden teenaged journals, and have journaled off-and-on throughout my lifetime. Over the last decade, I’ve toggled between OneNote and a handwritten journal. Currently I use a handwritten journal -Lechturm - with a lot of colored pens. I enjoy the tactical experience and I, like you, find that the days blend together unless I keep a journal.

These days I keep a journal for my own use rather than thinking about history, simply as a daily reference. At some point, I’ll have to start thinking whether I should destroy them or leave them to posterity. Not sure that I would like my kids reading through the more - uh - “interesting” entries.
Banks2Skook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #19

Interesting - I knew that likely few people were keeping a journal, but it seems as though it's *really* few. And I was surprised that those of us who had the "angst-ridden" stuff from earlier years have mostly jettisoned them! There's so much advice out there to keep a journal with thoughts and feelings, etc. But I didn't want to look at them again, and I'm glad I tossed it. Somewhere I came across a mention of a journal's taking the motto of a sundial as its own: "I only mark the hours that shine." That's my current mode.

I would like to include more observations of historical interest, but haven't really done so yet. It may be that I get that out of my system here and in other places.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I don’t keep one. But I’ve inherited one that my mother kept as a young woman. Unfortunately, it is in a language I do not read well, so it’s contents are not known to me. I might have someone translate it someday. Or not.
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote