Join Early Retirement Today

11 weeks, 11,000 miles
Old 01-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

11 weeks, 11,000 miles

I guess the money wasn't that important as I can't remember...about $100/day inclusive for 2.5 of us.
IMG_4070.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190619_080407916.jpg (327.4 KB, 24 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
I've been thinking about buying a teardrop trailer, with a plan of spending half of our nights in parks, and half in hotels.

Anyone have experience in this?
I've seen people pull in late and out early. But what I really don't like is that I can see in my rear view mirror with a modest popup and the teardrops are quite a bit taller.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We spent the first 6 months of retirement living in our motorhome. We built a new house and it was not completed until the 6 months was done. We stayed mostly in the area to keep eye on the build and be available for questions or inspections. But we did head south for about 1 month in Jan when it was too cold to stay in the area.

We also have done many 1500+ mile trips in the RV. Recently downsized from the previous 45 ft to the new 37 ft length motorhome. The 45 ft was nice for the space, but it limited our ability to go to state parks and national campgrounds, many of which were designed back when RVs were smaller. So the new 37 ft is still good size for long stays and long trips; and be able to fit better in some of the parks. We prefer the parks vs private campgrounds when we can. We also boondock a lot depending on the location and what we want to see. I always tow a vehicle behind to drive around the area once arrived at the camping location.

I don't give a crap about the mileage or that the RV is a depreciating asset. It enables us to do things we could not do with car and hotels. one of those big items is taking our dogs with us. They love going camping. RV's a choice and there is no right answer for everybody. For us the motorhome is great and we enjoy our time out on the road and seeing the country at road level instead of 35,000 ft flying over it.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #64

Our domestic travel has been via car. We've traveled mostly the western US for a bit more than six months over 2018-19. Mostly 1 month trips, but the last one was 7 weeks and 8400 miles.

We often set off before sunrise for a good hike or national park, but not knowing where we will stay the next night. Many times, my wife will pull up the best looking restaurant within an hour or two when it hits 1500-1600 hours, then we will arrange lodgings nearby. Usually quality Inn or Best Westerns. If we plan in advance for a multiday location, airBnB. Driving a Honda Fit with lunch in the cooler makes it very affordable.

The National Parks annual pass quickly pays for itself...
Old 01-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
The closest thing I have come to RV travel is during the 70s as I traveled around in my converted VW bus and tent camping for a month at a time.
My wife and I discussed traveling in the US again but now it is in a comfortable car and stopping at hotels/motels for the night. The cost of an RV or a rental would be more than what we would spend in lodging as well as having to shlep around in a big RV, the added gas expense, maneuvering parking sites, and parking for the night. Preparing meals and clean up would not be an issue either.Cheers!
Ms G missed my life in the 70's traveling around the country in my 62 VW Bus. I show her $25K micro buses from South America, and tell her that that is the way to see the USA. She reminds me that they didn't have A/C, only went 60 mph, and cruise control was a stick holding down the gas pedal. Groove off.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe some teardrops are bigger but the ones we looked at you could only sit or lay down. No standing at all. The kitchen was outside.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

We retired quite early - in 1986 when we were in our 40s, and have been traveling most of the past 34 years. First on our sailboat, which we sold in Singapore in 2004. Then on a power catamaran until about a couple years ago.

We didn't last very long as "settled" dirt-dwellers, so we took a cross-country (and back) tour of the USA with an Amtrak rail pass. This was a wonderful, leisurely way to see a whole lot of the USA without doing much driving.

We got a 45-day rail pass (for coach. We would pay extra for a sleeper car for the occasional long stretch), we started in New York City, and traveled (with many stops) to San Francisco and back again. We'd set a destination (Atlanta, Georgia was our first stop), reserve a rental car and a motel room, and visit as many tourist attractions as caught our attention, some in Atlanta, some further afield. When we had "touristed out" the area, we got back on the train someplace further from Atlanta and traveled to our next destination "hub" (which was New Orleans). We crossed the southern US to California making stops along the way - get off the train, sightsee for one or two states, turn in the car and get back on the train for the next long trek. In San Francisco we started our return train ride visiting the northern and central states back to New York. All told, we spent a bit more than 2 months doing this (we had to pay for the last leg of the return to NY because our 45-day pass expired - worth it to not rush).

For us, we got to visit the highlights of the U.S. without exhausting ourselves driving between them. Train travel meant we could sightsee while on the train - so much safer and more comfortable with the train doing the "driving" while we sat back and enjoyed the view.

When one is retired, time is one thing we have plenty of, and it was a very leisurely way to see it all.

One can always do it in segments rather than our "see it all" approach. I do encourage you to see as much of the US as you can. It is a beautiful country, and so varied. Lots of OMG sights, so many wonderful people to meet along the way.
GypsyGrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am He View Post
.............. But what I really don't like is that I can see in my rear view mirror with a modest popup and the teardrops are quite a bit taller.
My solution to that is a camera in the back window of my travel trailer that is hard wired to a little monitor that clips to my rear view mirror. When I glance up to the mirror, it feels entirely natural seeing what is behind. Way better even than towing mirrors.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote