Did you all plan how to use your time?

+1. I did the Get A Life Tree exercise to see all the activities I could do in retirement, that was essential to my final decision to pull the plug on work - seeing 50 activities I’d enjoy. Happily, 7+ years in and I haven’t had to refer to the Tree. But if I ever get bored, I will, so it’s a good idea for anyone IMO.

+2

I also did the “Get a Life Tree” exercise; I highly recommend it. I also made a rudimentary schedule in my (then) Day Timer because, I wanted to have some structure & a notional idea of how I’d spend my time. I’ve followed it to some degree but, the biggest benefit was to put my mind at ease regarding the avoidance of boredom. DW & I also attended the OLLI retirement workshop in Asheville, NC (we lived close at the time & could drive there). It’s much more detailed but, absolutely worth the time and $$$ if you’re having lots of anxiety about FIRE and, need a bit of guidance finding a new balance in your life.

Last edited:
I retired in Virginia and a week later I was in Colorado starting building my house. Over 5 years later I am still building my house. That is what I do most days. When something else comes up the house can wait. Skiing does have priority along with requests from my adult kids. Lots of other things take my time along the way. No completion in schedule on the house so that keeps it fun.

No, but if I ever get bored, I might try to generate a structured plan. I'm in my 12th year of retirement..

I am coming up on my 10th year of retirement. I remarried shortly before that, and had a new person to share my travels with. We traveled with a vengeance, but slowly slowed down.
In the meantime, a number of volunteer opportunities became available. I did data analysis for a food bank to generate reports on the makeup of their clients.
I also discovered Angel Flight and Pilots n Paws to make my flying worthwhile.
I recently saw a notice in our park newsletter looking for someone to help repair walkers and wheelchairs, and I volunteered to do that.
I also volunteer with the AARP/IRS tax preparation program for seniors and low income clients.

My biggest volunteer effort, however, is to restore a 23 ton switch engine for our local railroad historical society.
Other than that, I am an avid reader, and spend many happy hours on our porch with my Kindle.

Congratulations on your planned ER! DH and I retired 2 years ago in our mid to late 50’s. DH is very laid back, had no plan, and loves just doing what he feels like every day. He’s ecstatic to be retired and the lack of structure has never concerned him.

I’m more “Type A” and needed to feel I was retiring “to” something, not just escaping work. Over the course of the year before I retired, I made a long list of possible things I wanted to try or spend more time on. However, I haven’t even looked at it post-ER. I took the first 6 months to just decompress, exercise more, and for family visits. Then we traveled for most of the next 6 months and lo and behold, a year was gone! My second year, I got a lot more involved in volunteering and learned more about what I like (mentoring and interacting with university students) and don’t like (menial tasks, Board work, fund raising). We also traveled a lot. So now going into Year 3, I’m letting go of 2-3 volunteer things I was doing, and thinking I’ll spend the extra time on exercising more and just doing what I want. I am becoming more comfortable with less structure and am letting go of my need to accomplish things. It has been an enjoyable process so far and I have never once wished I still worked.

To me, retirement is a great opportunity to reinvent yourself, try new things, and learn more about what you enjoy doing. I anticipate evolving each year and varying my activities as I wish to and am able to.

Enjoy your journey!

Skiing imposes some structure as I like to get out for first tracks every weekday morning unless it's raining. I also have a running plan most of the time (taking a break right now) but I keep it really flexible based mostly on weather.

Runningbum, I see you are also in Virginia, curious where you ski?

In the 12th or year of retirement.
I don't recall planning anything. Generally, I was always interested in maintaining my body and brain in some reaonable shape. Most of all to maintain and improve flexibility agility. No interest in muscle building. Still work out three times a week. Not counting Figure skating, dancing and kayaking.

Thus there was always some form of martial arts, but not on any competitive level, done simply beacause I like it. Went through several phases of tinkering with electronics, mechanics. Finding some interesting subject to research for more understanding. Then switch subjects and do it again, rinse repeat.

Taught myself figure skating. Got pretty good, often get comments from instructors watching me about being graceful and smooth. Turns out later this set of skating skill came handy in dancing.

At some point bought a 14 acre camp with a mancave, spent good bit of time cleaning up the overgroth, some improvements, discovered a long buried and abandoned spring, set up piping for water and indoor plumbing. Installing solar and wind power for electrics.
Designed and built several versions of efficient barrel stoves. And of course much time just contemplating belly button, gazing at the scenery and wildlife.
After DW passed away, decided to learn dancing. On to dance classes, after some experiments with a variety, settled on Argentine Tango. Switched schools several times, as most were clueless about the Milonguero style which what interests me. Nowdays it is called Estilo MIlonguero, I belive the term was coined by Ricardo Vidort. What the public sees on TV is not social Tango, but highly styelized and coreographed show tango with the performing wonen busy showing of their underwear...

Figure another ten years of learning and I'll be a good beginner Milonguero:D

The summary of the vague original plan would be: prevent brain and body rot.

Best of all this past ten years sure beat w*rking.

Seven years into retirement. Much of the time spent in surgery/recovery/PT. It started that way so my motorcycle trip west never happened, and most other travel plans were put on hold. Was this part of the retirement plan? No. But I was still able to squeeze in Scotland and Iceland. I did spend a few years volunteering at animal rescues and at the zoo preparing food for all the animals. I have been able to continue ceramics (throwing on a wheel) and working in metal sculpture. One of my rescue cats is now 19 and blind with diabetes so travel is on hold for a little longer. The other 2 cats are younger and healthy. Once my old friend passes away we will start traveling before it is too late and we are not as mobile. But it's all good how ever it works out. I have had more opportunities and experiences than most people so I can't complain. I can always find something to keep me amused.

Cheers!

I didn't really "plan" on anything after retirement. A few months into it, I got a "hankering" to go to law school (it had been one of those "maybe?" goals of many years) and ultimately did that. Those 3 years went by very, VERY quickly and for the most part, enjoyable. At the end of that adventure, my Dad's health deteriorated and he passed a month after I graduated LS. Thankfully, it was a short illness and didn't "hamper" my retirement really. We just recently relocated 1000 miles from my home state and just bought a new home. We are having some work done on it (paint/carpet/other little stuff) but hope to be in it by the first of the year.

So, while I didn't exactly "plan" anything for retirement, I have been busy as hell. I hope one of these days, I will have a day of two of this "boredom" thing people were warning me about. :)

I didn't really "plan" on anything after retirement. A few months into it, I got a "hankering" to go to law school (it had been one of those "maybe?" goals of many years) and ultimately did that. Those 3 years went by very, VERY quickly and for the most part, enjoyable. At the end of that adventure, my Dad's health deteriorated and he passed a month after I graduated LS. Thankfully, it was a short illness and didn't "hamper" my retirement really. We just recently relocated 1000 miles from my home state and just bought a new home. We are having some work done on it (paint/carpet/other little stuff) but hope to be in it by the first of the year.

So, while I didn't exactly "plan" anything for retirement, I have been busy as hell. I hope one of these days, I will have a day of two of this "boredom" thing people were warning me about. :)

Bolded - so how did you get to be the Head Lounger at the Life of Leisure Institute?:rolleyes::greetings10:

Retired to hobbies, the ranch and the outdoors. I haven't got bored yet and if I do, it's my fault because I can stay busy full time with those 3 things. Somedays I do absolutely nothing which I don't like but my wife says it is okay to do that. LOL

Let it flow like a river. It will come to you. I have had a desire to give back. Mine is a 4 month commitment and then leaves me able to travel and then do home projects. Otherwise I just enjoy the freedom to do what I want or is needed

Plans?

Never. Go with the flow.

We plan out in advance our club activities, day trips, concerts, getting together with friends, etc. We try to plan an activity to get us out and about like a hike or live event every other day or so. We fill in with errands and house and yard work as we have the time. I like having lots of fun events to look forward to.

Last edited:
Plan? No. I had NO doubts that I would have plenty to do. I am very good at entertaining myself. I have 3 vintage cars, and started a hobby business in 2003 related to that. I make some parts for vintage VWs and restore others. On top of that, travel, home improvement projects, landscaping and managing 3.4 acres of woods and trails. Racquetball twice a week, and I hike with our 2 dogs nearly every day.

I will say, and recently cautioned my brother who just FIRE'd that don't expect that you will maintain "Saturday level" productivity 8-10 hours a day M-F after you retire. I'll be 2 years FIRE'd next month and have found that I put a high priority on some relatively non-productive things during the day. I usually sleep until 8-9 am, get up, have coffee, read e-mail and social media/news, etc until 10-11. Midday I usually will make my self a good lunch, or a large portion of something that I can eat the rest of the week, clean up the kitchen then hike with the dogs. We are to 420 miles for 2018.

I find that even the stuff/projects that I like to do the most, I don't want to do 8 hours a day. I find the best days are a mix of relaxation, hiking, and maybe an hour or two each on a few projects.

As many people told me before I retired, it takes a while to find the right "pace"...

Life takes on its own schedule, and I am only somewhat in control. But there again we're raising a 7 year old granddaughter permanently.

It's nice to have times of planned activities, but it's also nice to take time to just wing it.

As someone that's nocturnal, I often stay up very late but have to get up by 6:45 a.m. to drive Brynley to her private school. Then, I come home to eat breakfast and often look at the most positive thing in my day--Let's Make A Deal."

When working hard on the honey-do list or cutting grass, I often take a nap either late morning or late afternoon. I just do what I want to do when I want to do it. Nothing better.

When working hard on the honey-do list or cutting grass, I often take a nap either late morning or late afternoon. I just do what I want to do when I want to do it. Nothing better.

The FIRE acronym only implies a great benefit/goal: Reduced Stress.

Everyone is different of course. Asking the question at your stage is great because it means you are worried about it and trying to play ahead. I'd suggest this means you probably want to find at least a barebones structure for your first year. That could be going to the gym, weekly coffee / lunches with ex-coworkers, etc. but also leave free times so you are forced to find out if you need more structure or not.

I have winged it for however long it has been (4 years? Maybe I've been winging too long, lol) and I have had very little structure.

My wife has struggled without structure but has been blessed/cursed to have been begged to go back and help out consulting. This has caused her to not have had to figure out retirement yet, as she also took a "fun" part-time job that has kept her busy.

She is finally cured of her old career (she doesn't want to go back anymore) and here fun part-timer isn't as fun anymore, so we will be embarking on the journey of finding some structure to our days to help ease her transition. There is going to be a lot of gym time in my future. :O

One thing that has surprised both of us is we don't have much of a desire to travel anymore. Mountains everywhere look the same, people are people, etc. combined with travel is no longer an escape from work but being away from the comforts of home means we don't do it much. Just thought I'd mention it to indicate whatever list you make now to do in retirement may end up looking quite a bit different from what you end up doing 5 years later.

I didn't really have a plan but I find that I'm busier now than when I worked. Don't know how I got anything done then. Of course, I don't get a lot done. As BTO sang "Working overtime doing nothing all day"

Back
Top Bottom