Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Did you have to ease into it? Or dive right in?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnass
Actually, I don't want to work again. My wife suggested that working at the library part time might be a good way to get out of the house more and meet more people. At this point, I'm thinking that performing volunteer work for 5 to 10 hrs/week might be a lot more satisfying than a low paying 20 hr/week job.
I unless they are offering you insurance, I think a library would be a terrible place to work. Major PC and Big Brother.

I borrow a lot of books, but I can't wait to get out of the place. Maybe the local gym needs help? Better atmosphere IMO.

Mikey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
I unless they are offering you insurance, I think a library would be a terrible place to work. Major PC and Big Brother.

I borrow a lot of books, but I can't wait to get out of the place. Maybe the local gym needs help? Better atmosphere IMO.

Mikey
You all know how much I love Texas. Back when guests could still post
here, I was in Texas and suffering FIRE forum withdrawal. I walked into
the local library (tiny little Texas town), explained that I didn't have a
library card but was staying in my condo for a couple days and would it be okay if I used their computers? Their answer? "Sure, no problem,
come in any time". Can you imagine the BS I might have gotten
in a large bureaucracy type library? I remember once in Detroit
they wouldn't even let me use the bathroom. I'm rambling now,
but my point is that having lived and worked all over the country,
I never met any friendlier people than in Texas. Never!
(But it's still a terrible place with snakes and fire ants and lots of guns, etc etc etc )

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U

(But it's still a terrible place with snakes and fire ants and lots of guns, etc etc etc )
You had me worried there for a minute, but you managed to redeem yourself...

REW
Old 05-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Can you imagine the BS I might have gotten in a large bureaucracy type library?* I remember once in Detroit they wouldn't even let me use the bathroom.*
In Contra Costa County, the restrooms are in the public areas and internet use is restricted to 30 minutes at a time. No need to ask .... nope not in TX with the fire ants, in CA with the great weather / wide open fields full of flowers & trees / and great latte!
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm rambling now
Now?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Californians take note. Most Texans think a Latte is a state sponcored form of gambling in either France or Mexico.

The fire ants are not as troublesome as finding scorpions in your sink or bathtub.

The libraries here in south Texas have all the Zane Grey books and you can even find a VCR tape of Lonesome Dove, if'n you get your name on the waitin' list.

It don't get no better than that for public services. I don't know how they do so well without a state income tax.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Now?
Okay..........still

JG
Old 05-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Thank you.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

TH, JG, NOW I know the two of you are collaborating to keep your top spots on the number of posts! Conspiracy!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Well look at the disadvantage I'm at! John almost always posts twice in a row. Someone needs to show him how to 'edit' his ponderous musings...
Old 05-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Well look at the disadvantage I'm at!* John almost always posts twice in a row.* Someone needs to show him how to 'edit' his ponderous musings...
Hey man................those "ponderous musings" come to you pre-edited.
I always strive for brevity. OTOH, I have a lot to say. Anyway, you are
at a "disadvantage". Anyone would be.

JG
Old 05-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Yes.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:54 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I can see that.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #34

Leslie,
I'm really late responding to your post. Shhhh don't tell anyone but I went to work yesterday. I know, I know I've been ER'ed for months now but they keep calling....the bells...the bells.

What was your question?

BUM
Old 05-12-2005, 06:41 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

In some ways it took me years to get used to the idea of being "retired". Of course I was out at a young age (38) due to a work related disability. (I wanted to go back, the neurosurgeon who did my surgeries would not give me the ok, my employer wouldn't take me due to "liability" concerns)

I missed my co-workers terribly but got to spend vast amounts of time with my husband and sons which was great.

Hubby, otoh, retired 8 days ago and is loving every minute of it!! He may look for something in a few years and then again maybe not. It will all depend on how much he spends in retirement. (I'm the saver, he's the spender) He says he'd rather spend less and be retired but those new tools keep calling him. hehe We'll just have to wait and see.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz
In some ways it took me years to get used to the idea of being "retired". Of course I was out at a young age (38) due to a work related disability. (I wanted to go back, the neurosurgeon who did my surgeries would not give me the ok, my employer wouldn't take me due to "liability" concerns)

I missed my co-workers terribly but got to spend vast amounts of time with my husband and sons which was great.

Hubby, otoh, retired 8 days ago and is loving every minute of it!! He may look for something in a few years and then again maybe not. It will all depend on how much he spends in retirement. (I'm the saver, he's the spender) He says he'd rather spend less and be retired but those new tools keep calling him. hehe We'll just have to wait and see.
Well, best of luck to both of you. "Those new tools" is a problem I don't have. I try not to use the tools I have, much less lust after
new ones

JG
Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, JG. Hubby needs something to do all the time. And he loves, loves, loves being in his workshop. Or "at the land" with one of his best buddies cutting wood (he got a new chainsaw, too) or tinkering with something else.
Plus it keeps him out of my hair and telling me how to run the household. Silly man.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie
When you quit working, did you know you were done forever?

Leslie, maybe the 'problem' is that you like your job? In my case, work had become a living hell and I was on the way to a heart attack. I would open the door to Board meetings and say, "Lord put me out of my misery". That was one prayer that got answered pretty quickly! ;-)

One way to look at it is that you might need both carrots and sticks as you make up your mind to ER. Carrots -- the nice stuff you hope to do in ER is great. But the sticks -- the awful stuff you'd like to get away from -- may be a more meaningful spur to action.

If your job isn't bad, but you think ER is something you want, then focus on building up new interests that can draw you slowly forward toward something better than work.

You might also try taking a month off. You must have accumulated enough vacation time to do that now.

This might or might not apply to you, but just in case: what about your job do you like? Is it the thought of being the big cheese in your department? If so, then you can slowly dismantle that need or find wholesome substitutes for it. Most people, after a year at most, realize that the need to be the big cheese was something of an adolescent addiction. If you can walk away from that need, the whole world will open up to with new possible ways to spend the rest of your life.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

John...I'm sure your tool gets plenty of use...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I need to learn how to quote.

BUM: Hmm, my question...I almost forgot! It was whether you cut yourself off from work completely and forever and you knew you were going to do that, or if you gradually came around to the idea that you never wanted to work again. So I am curious, why after all of those months did the bells go off in your head? And are you working full time?

ESRBob--There are aspects of my job that I liked, but when I started having more bad days than good, I decided I can't do this anymore. You know those days you drive into work, and feel like dry heaving in the parking lot. Seriously. I seem to be surrounded with self-serving/ladder-climbing people who didn't care about their underlings, only themselves--I like to call those people "8x10 glossies"--all surface and no substance.

I need to decompress for many, many weeks.

Leslie