Did you move after FIRE and find the grass greener?

karen1972, 2k a month? Wow! Where is the savings? Where about in NC? ..may have to check into it. TX!

Options - I too like Souschef live in Ventura County and it's a well-kept secret. Everything that Souschef talked about and listed I wholeheartedly concur. DH and I have lived here for almost 30 years raising our two boys. DH was transferred from San Diego 30 years ago and having lived in the Valley before moving to San Diego, we knew we didn't want to move back there. We checked out Ventura County and we both knew it was where we wanted to live. We use to head down to San Diego for getaways but now we head to Santa Barbara and north. And lastly we've got farmers markets in many communities Wednesday's through Sunday's because of the agricultural lands in the county. We will probably downsize our home next year. Though we've considered moving, we've been very happy living here.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I just checked Ventura & Ventura Co. on Zillow.Did those in Ventura downsize? It seems awful expensive there for such small homes ~1,600 - 1,800sqft. and they seem so far from the beach too. We used to live in SoCAL in the OC so we know about RE Prices, but would prefer about 2,500sqft if we had to downsize a bit.

There seem to be an awful lot of foreclosures there also.

The biggest issue with DW & I is we dread downsizing. We currently have 3,200sqft and other than the guest room use all of it daily.

Last edited:
Then why downsize? There's no law that says you have to. 3200 sqft is not all that much space, IMHO.

The biggest issue with DW & I is we dread downsizing. We currently have 3,200sqft and other than the guest room use all of it daily.

We had planned 25 years before retirement to move from the midwest to Hawaii. A couple of years after retirement, we did just that. While no place is perfect and you always miss something, our move has worked well for us. We love it in Paradise but still visit the midwest every year - best of both worlds. The key for us was to visit our final destination often enough to learn how to live "local" to see if it was really for us.

One caution is that some folks think "greener pastures" will somehow change their lives - not realizing that their lives go with them to the new pastures. If you are happy where you are (inside yourself) and find someplace that accentuates your happiness, you will be blessed indeed. If you are just miserable (inside), changing your pastures won't help much IMHO. YMMV

One caution is that some folks think "greener pastures" will somehow change their lives - not realizing that their lives go with them to the new pastures. If you are happy where you are (inside yourself) and find someplace that accentuates your happiness, you will be blessed indeed. If you are just miserable (inside), changing your pastures won't help much IMHO. YMMV

You hit the nail on the head!!!

I would move to improve my quality of life. My area of the world is rather expensive and as such my children and grandchildren can't really afford to live near me where they grew up. Not so good.

Back
Top Bottom