Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

We moved to Northwest Arkansas in November 2019. Because we were focused on cleaning out/selling our previous home, we did not seek out meeting folks. Our house sold in March 2020; so, about the time we were ready to meet & mingle, COVID hit.

We are now enrolled in Osher Lifelong Learning Institute and looking forward to our classes. Our church holds services, but Sunday School and groups have yet to begin. We intend to join a couple things there when that happens.
There is a Master Naturalist program we are waiting to join once it's back to normal.

In short, we have not made any new friends/acquaintances since moving here...but hope is on the horizon.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Many people in Florida are from somewhere else. Without trying too hard, you may run into people from your area... We met a woman from the same town as our 2nd home, and have been friends now for 20+ years. We are not all that gregarious, but it is clear that people who want to socialize find many ways to do so, and to make friends with.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved from San Francisco to Upstate South Carolina. Didn't really know anyone. Got lucky and have wonderful neighbors on one side. I am happy because I got a couple of things I really wanted after living in San Francisco: an affordable house with fenced in yard, three French Bulldogs, and space to garden. I am slowly making new friends - very slowly, but I am a west coast liberal living in the south. 🤣
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathgar View Post
We are considering a move to Florida. We do not have friends or family there. Anyone moved somewhere and had to start a new life in their 50s/ 60s? How difficult was it to make friends/ acquaintances?
Any and all advice appreciated.
Yes, we threw a dart in the map and moved to FL without knowing anyone here. Actually, we found it rather easy to make friends because there are so many transplants that nearly everyone is from somewhere else and in a similar situation. I would suggest taking up a hobby (i.e. pickle ball) and you will likely meet some friends there. After COVID, go to the local cafe with outdoor seating and a Saturday afternoon band....the tables will be full and you will end up sharing with someone else and can meet people that way too.
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
I think it is easier in a 55+ community where everyone is from somewhere else.
For under 55 year olds, Washington DC Metro Area is full of "transplants" traveling for government, embassy, World Bank jobs, and more.

PS it is expensive
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved 6300 miles and to a country where I barely spoke the language. Fortunately my fiancť had a summer house here so while no social circle at least knew support people... plumbers etc, and spoke the language fluently. Now 7 years in is fully ďhomeĒ and I love it...language is still a barrier, what with local dialects and slang and the speed people talk, but I can fully get by.

Making close friends is still tough however and those close friends remain ones we knew before we came here. But being both introverts we really donít find it an issue.

ďI love Mankind .... Itís people I canít standĒ..... Linus by Charles M Shultz
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #47

Yes. We went from living on 10 1/2 wooded acres - secluded - small rural town - and having just a couple of friends in the area- to a new state where we knew no one except our son when we retired last year.

Part of the plan was to live completely differently. We made sure we were in a community that was or was similar to a 55+ with people our age (66 and 64) as neighbors and in an area with amenities and activities and conveniences, etc. - pretty much a vacation area. Where we live has no age restrictions but most people are our age, but not all. Many folks are transplants like us., but not all. About half are full timers; others weekenders or snowbirds. A lot have family like kids and grandchildren in the next state over so they see them regularly. But we don’t. We are 8 hours away from our relatives but we rarely saw them anyway when we lived there because we were still about 2 hours away.

We moved last February and a month later COVID hit. But all was well because the development has a Facebook page and I saw that a small group of people started a daily morning walk. I told hubby we had to join so that we could meet people. So we did and it was the best thing we did. I am the social one and I needed to push my husband to tag along and get involved.

They had some get togethers we were invited to. One couple has a boat and invited us many times to go out on the lake. We had a couple of dinners out at restaurants and even one couple’s home.

Then- we began to meet people who were moving into the new homes being built on our end of the development. (ours was also new construction). We have a front porch we hang out on and people walk by and stop to chat which is nice. So we met more people. We have a small community pool so we meet people when hanging there.

Moving forward - from there we learned of a couple of groups we have political ideals in common with (from being on Facebook). We attended a few events with those and met more people! Pancake breakfasts, luncheons, barbecues, etc. Actually one group we joined 14 years BEFORE we moved when we learned about it hoping someday the move would become a reality.

And recently I learned of activities provided by the local Parks and Recreation Dept. and joined a snowshoe hike and met a nice couple I expect to see again at some other outings.

My husband joined a local sportsmen’s club as well.

We are only retired a year and have had more of a social life than we ever had in our past. And this in the age of COVID- go figure.

Once this COVID nightmare subsides, this development we live in usually has gatherings and activities in the clubhouse and so forth that the residents arrange. So looking forward to that. That’s something we have not experienced like the other residents have because of this darn virus.

Anyway- so you get the picture. Put yourself in a place or in situations where you are forced to be with people. It helps A LOT if you are in a CONVENIENT situation where it is not too much hard work to make friends. If not- at least volunteer for something. Anything to be around others.

PS Before we moved we researched doctors especially because we knew my husband would need his blood pressure meds. So we made appts. Once here, we got a recommendation for a dentist from a neighbor and our doc here recommended a GYN for me. I then researched a Gastro doc for me also. I made sure to physically pick up all my medical records, CD images ( mammos), etc. from my old docs to bring to my new ones when we moved. I joined a local on line community forum to keep in touch with local happenings and also get recommendations for handymen, a CPA, etc. in this day and age if internet, things are much easier.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes; we moved to Reno from Houston about 5&1/2 years ago and knew nobody (except the sister of one of my wife's soccer team members and we only met her once). We are Sierra Club members and Reno chapter here has one of the most active Outings/hiking programs in the country, until COVID, so we quickly picked up friends through hiking (I'm now Outings Chair).
So a hobby/activity is a good way to go to meet acquaintances.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #49

Key points

Start with a toe in the water part time renting

Move up to Snowbirding.

Sell the house up north and rent a cabin summers

Eventually give up the northern cabin

Try different lifestyles

Focus on gated communities with retirees and activities

Learn how to golf, play tennis and Pickleball.

Volunteer in the national level political party of your choice at elections

Try to find a church you like

Walk a dog

Rent a garden box

Keep a fishing boat or pontoon boat and invite people out on the water, organize boat rentals or join a boat club

Go on neighbourhood organized cruises

Florida gated communities are social nuclear engines. The contrast to life up north in a normal neighbourhood is shocking
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:28 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved part time to NC from FL in 2013. 6 months there and 6 months in FL. For me, the move was a great way to separate from an almost 40 year career in the same place. We immediately found better friends, different hobbies, a new church family and more community. For me, the key was reaching out to new neighbors, finding local people who shared NY passion for cycling and getting involved in a local church after visiting a bunch of them. Our sense of community is much better in NC than it is in Florida.

If you move, get involved, reach out to new neighbors and find groups with common interests. I've enjoyed these years more than any extended time of my life.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:25 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We are considering a move to Florida. We do not have friends or family there. Anyone moved somewhere and had to start a new life in their 50s/ 60s? How difficult was it to make friends/ acquaintances?

You're a lot luckier that 2 of you are moving to a place where you both don't know anyone. I'm single and thinking of doing the same. I've virtually been single all my life.
scottpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpush View Post
You're a lot luckier that 2 of you are moving to a place where you both don't know anyone. I'm single and thinking of doing the same. I've virtually been single all my life.
I donít have direct knowledge of this area, but my impression is.,,

If I was single with a spotty track record with women, I would stay away from Florida gated and rather go urban, letís say Miami and try Latin or foreign women, Panama where American men with modest means are attractive to local women, or more afar, Japan, Thailand or Phillipines where relatively progressive American men are highly valued as partners.

If you are a fishing and hang out in a bar guy who can afford the rent,, Key West.

I think San Miguel de Allende Mexico has a surplus of single arty women.

There are so many lonely retirement age women, I think a single guy in that age range has a moral duty to find one and look after her., while you can. She will most likey be looking after you at the end.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:59 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
I donít have direct knowledge of this area, but my impression is.,,

If I was single with a spotty track record with women, I would stay away from Florida gated and rather go urban, letís say Miami and try Latin or foreign women, Panama where American men with modest means are attractive to local women, or more afar, Japan, Thailand or Phillipines where relatively progressive American men are highly valued as partners.

If you are a fishing and hang out in a bar guy who can afford the rent,, Key West.

I think San Miguel de Allende Mexico has a surplus of single arty women.

There are so many lonely retirement age women, I think a single guy in that age range has a moral duty to find one and look after her., while you can. She will most likey be looking after you at the end.
I really appreciate your response. You're pretty much spot on. I'm not much for crowds or high stress and overly competitive environments like the DC area but maybe Miami or Tampa anyhow. And, you're right, I get along with Asians pretty well. All of your suggestions are well taken so thanks again! I am active and well off so more than ready for the next stage.
scottpush is offline   Reply With Quote
We did exactly that
Old 02-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We did exactly that

Ten years ago we left all friends and family and moved from the North to a small city in a Southern state, when we were both about 57. Did not know anyone at the time; I still worked for a few years but the wife was already retired at the time of the move. Bought a home in a smaller development of about 50 homes where all lots ranged from 1-17 acres. Best move we ever made. People in the South are very friendly if you treat people with respect, and many of our neighbors are transplants themselves and understand new neighbors. We travel 4-5 months out of the year but still love our choice and location that we call home.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We've moved "many" times over the years ... from Delaware to NJ to Maryland, back to Delaware, to Virginia, and then to two different places in Florida. Each time, with the exception of the Delaware moves, we knew absolutely no one in the area.

That changed quickly but we found (and it makes sense) that it all comes down to "us." Had we waited to have people come to us, we'd likely still know no one.

Most communities, at least in Florida, have Senior Centers now and they're a great place to meet new friends. Plus, don't disregard your neighbors!

Personally, we've developed some great friendships in every place we've lived!

(Currently in what we plan to be in our "forever" home in Palm Coast, Florida. We're a six minute drive to one of the nicest beach towns anywhere - Flagler Beach - and in one of the lowest cost areas of the state!)
jflynn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Throughout our married life, we have lived in 9 different states, all four contiguous US time zones. For most of those, we didn't know a soul when we rolled up with our moving van. Finding a church home was our go-to way of locating our new "tribe." It might be harder now with Covid, but a faith community or a group organized around a common interest is the best way to find like-minded folks you'll enjoy spending time with.

An alternate approach is to view your move as an extended vacation on which you happen drag everything you own. If you don't like where you land, you can always try someplace else.
Maidensong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by msanniee View Post
I moved from San Francisco to Upstate South Carolina. Didn't really know anyone. Got lucky and have wonderful neighbors on one side. I am happy because I got a couple of things I really wanted after living in San Francisco: an affordable house with fenced in yard, three French Bulldogs, and space to garden. I am slowly making new friends - very slowly, but I am a west coast liberal living in the south. ��
When the pandemic settles down, go find local community theater and get involved. That will help you make friends with more politically similar people. You don't have to act, but building and painting sets, ushering, helping with the programs, etc.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you are still working or have kids then making friends is no big deal. Church and local clubs can help. Attending Library programs can add to that too.

55+ or great CCRC (like where we are with 2,500 people) will give a huge amount of activities and friendship. But you have to venture out!
jayanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

We stayed in Southern California to be close to our kids. Unfortunately, they now all live 3+ hours away. can't drop by for coffee. We retired, downsized, and moved into a nice new community, but found that all our neighbors
were 35 ad 33, both working, with 2 kids who they were constantly taking to dance class or baseball practice. We were lucky in that my wife met a nice lady thru her book club who introduced us to her 55+ community. We sold our house and moved. We knew no one, but soon made many friends and, seriously, it's the most enjoyable place I've ever lived.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #60

Wow, thinking back this is all I've done. 1995 moved to small town Louisiana, married and moved to Dallas in 99. Moved to LA in 2007. Moved to Mexico in 2011, then back to LA, then back to Mexico. Moved back to Dallas in 2015. All except the last we knew no one. Very easy for us but I was 25-45 through all this.

I personally wouldn't have a problem as it's easier to stay in touch even when you're living somewhere else. We looked at it as we really didn't see people that much anyhow while everyone is busy working and life in general.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote