Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
There probably was a poll about this but I've never seen one. Did you retire at the right time, or:

Way too early
A little too early
At the right time
A little too late
Way too late
I did a poll that was similar to your question:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ght-96015.html
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was just turning 30, I set a goal of being FI by the time I was 55. I wanted to be in a position to tell MegaCorp to go pound sand if I didn't like what I was doing, and not be worried about finances. During the first part of this year, at several extended family gatherings, several people asked me if I was retired/when I would be retiring. It got me thinking that I needed to start going over the numbers. Turns out that we are already FI and I am only 53. DW and I just set a date that works for both of us. I think we will retire at just the right time.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I loved my job, but in retrospect retired a few years too late. I was 61 and had health problems that were getting worse. I now wish I had a few relatively healthy retirement years and worried less about money and health insurance.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired at 33/34 and probably was to early compared to everyone here. 30+ years later, it seems right although I can not keep up with my Decamillionaire friends!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Friends house.jpg (50.1 KB, 48 views)
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Many good comments here.
I think I am retiring too late - I loved my job until I did not. I will retire Dec 15 2019.

Three of my friends retired in May and the culture is growing more toxic.

Use to have lunch or chat with others at work but now it feels very competitive.

I have to come to accept that I like earning money (which is why I am still working) but need to adjust to this new period when I really don't need to. As my DH says "You're going to be rich in the graveyard ! " He's already FIRE.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I retired at 33/34 and probably was to early compared to everyone here. 30+ years later, it seems right although I can not keep up with my Decamillionaire friends!
Don't know any decamillionaires or at least not that I am aware of.
No problem for me.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Don't know any decamillionaires or at least not that I am aware of.
No problem for me.
We know one that has gone through a costly divorce and their kids are all screwed up (drugs, prison).
Old 07-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post
I have to come to accept that I like earning money (which is why I am still working) but need to adjust to this new period when I really don't need to. As my DH says "You're going to be rich in the graveyard ! " He's already FIRE.
The concept of giving up the paycheck (and bonuses, stock options, etc.) is hard.

I saw a former co-worker last week. We are about the same age. He was talking about his golden handcuffs (moved to a new employer, 5 years to vest in ESOP). He vests in 16 months, but his concern was that every year, the handcuffs appear in the spring (hey, 9 more months and I get $xxx).

My comment, no matter when you FIRE, you will leave something on the table. You just need to decide if you are now working for your retirement, or your kids.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I could have retired earlier (perhaps 7 years) but chose to stay because I had achieved an assignment that I had essentially envisioned and also made happen. Virtually the day that assignment was taken away, I retired. I don't have any regrets, so I guess it was the right time, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #70

Not yet RE, but I really appreciate the question. Many of the responses have made me be more thoughtful about factors other than the $.

While we may not know if a retirement decision is a financial success until the end, the emotional and social factors can certainly play a role in timing. With young children and aging parents, I vacillate between being as sure as possible financially and wanting to maximize time with loved ones while I can.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:29 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired as planned 16 months ago at 55.

I wake up every morning feeling like I won the big door prize !

Knowingly left big bonus money on the table and associated high stress.

Have not been bored once.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
I have not retired yet, but feel I am late....

On a serious note, DW and I just found out that her sisters husband has been diagnosed with Early Onset Dementia. Has us both re-assessing a lot of things.

And, by the way, I think this was a great question, as do apparently many others based on the number of responses!
I think I'm in the same boat. I have a plan to retire that I plan (2022) to stick with. My DW on the other hand rolls her eyes at me when I mention getting out early. Matter of fact I said something at lunch today and she said, well it depends on how the market is doing or something like that. I smiled and said "Well we can adjust the budget but we cant buy more time".
Old 08-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman52 View Post
My DW on the other hand rolls her eyes at me when I mention getting out early. ...well it depends on how the market is doing or something like that. I smiled and said "Well we can adjust the budget but we cant buy more time".
+1. I told my wife (after 4 years of OMY), that I'm retiring in January, whether the markets tank 50% or not. We have 3 years of living expenses in cash, and will be selling the condo, which could be used for another 3 years of expenses if the market took a 6-year fall. I'm really concerned that health may start to fail by age 60, or at least my energy level will (already diminishing at 53), so I need to go diving!
Old 08-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Nearly 80 now, I retired at 53 in 1993. These years in retirement have been quite wonderful for me with the obvious drawbacks: people I loved have died off, and my health is deteriorating. I'm glad I didn't work any longer. There have been no financial problems for me, these 26 years later. I married for the first time in my life in 2017, after the Obergefell decision made same-sex marriage legal. I'm happy in my marriage with the one drawback: he is much younger than I am, and I'm likely to run out on him by dying years before he does.
Ted_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Ted, same sex marriage was long overdue. Sounds like a good retirement.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired at 53, as soon as I could.
Massive Heart Attack at 55.
Spock says: 96% perfect.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Shepherd View Post
Nearly 80 now, I retired at 53 in 1993. These years in retirement have been quite wonderful for me with the obvious drawbacks: people I loved have died off, and my health is deteriorating. I'm glad I didn't work any longer. There have been no financial problems for me, these 26 years later. I married for the first time in my life in 2017, after the Obergefell decision made same-sex marriage legal. I'm happy in my marriage with the one drawback: he is much younger than I am, and I'm likely to run out on him by dying years before he does.
Thank you for sharing, the Obergefell decision was way overdue. Love is love and it was so wrong for the government to discriminate for so long....
LimaPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #78

Financially, retired just about at the right time.

Emotionally, retired way too late.

Physically, retired at 53.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:36 AM   #79

It would have been nice to retire earlier than 64 but I enjoyed what I was doing. I also had major back issues before I retired that required 3 surgeries in one year with the last fusing my lower back. Fortunately health insurance paid for it. If I had retired earlier the cost would have cut into a nice size chunk of my retirement investments. Thankfully in a year I had Medicare and Tricare to cover the next 5 years with 4 major joint surgeries and a knee replacement with more to come. If not for the timing my retirement would be a bit more different on a more limited budget than it turned out.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I retired at the right time. I retired nearly 11 years ago at age 45. This was in late 2008 when the markets were crashing. But, the crashing markets created a huge buying opportunity because I was able to sell my company stock while it was still high and buy thousands of (extra) bond fund shares at a rock-bottom price, all at the same time! Those twin transactions have proved beneficial the entire time to my ER and will continue to be that way going forward forever.

I also chose a date (10/31) which allowed me to barely finish the big project I was working on.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote