Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Being retired a little over a year, I don't miss it at all.

If I had to go back I would surely miss retirement..
like2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 12:40 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired six months ago. Donít miss working and have no plans to ever work again.

Itís late Sunday evening and remembering how when I was working the stress and tension of the week ahead and crap that needed to be done at work would build up in my mind and stress me out on Sunday nights.

Love Sunday evenings now.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcunniff View Post

I was in corporate America, and dreamed of early retirement every day. I could tolerate the job, but the boss, the office politics, and the culture were dragging me down. (Won’t you call into the west coast meeting at 7pm? Aren’t you checking email this weekend? You can take your laptop on vacation and work on that for a couple of hours.)
You just described my current career life to a T. So depressing.
Cassius King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It seems to be weather-dependent for me. I left in July and had a glorious summer and early fall. I like building things and doing outdoor home improvements. We live in a very cold state and as soon as the first snow fell, I was instantly bored with being indoors. Now that I suddenly canít do all the things I like, my mind has drifted to being productive in the right job setting. If I find a ďHe%% YeahĒ situation, maybe Iíll talk to them. Iíd need lots of flexibility and independence, however, so itís a needle in the haystack.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am about a week out from my 6 year anniversary of "freedom" and no, I don't miss it. On occasion I will see a jet fly overhead and a slight tinge of jealousy starts to creep in, but then I recall how much w*rk was required to actually get airborne and actually ENJOY the j*b and that jealousy goes right out the window.

It's really scary how fast these last 6 years have gone by...I am certainly not getting any younger and I am quite fortunate to enjoy my freedom at such a young age.

There are so many benefits to not working. Latest example is that we experienced quite the damaging ice storm a couple weeks ago. We had to have 25 trees removed and countless others "cleaned up" as well as have lots and LOTS of debris removed. We also lost power for 10 days. All in all, a real pain in the ass. What wasn't a pain in the ass was trying how to figure out how to get life back to normal (finding tree contractors, leaving the state for a few days to enjoy a cabin in the woods that HAD electricity) oh...and have your dogs torn CCL surgically repair all while juggling a j*b.

Yes, life has been quite an adventure the last couple of weeks, but I am so very, VERY happy that I didn't have to deal with a boss!
Old 11-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #26

NO.

Do not miss it.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm about 2 months in, and don't miss it a bit. I am thrilled to be at home, skip the commute and take the dog for a walk.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
It seems to be weather-dependent for me. I left in July and had a glorious summer and early fall. I like building things and doing outdoor home improvements. We live in a very cold state and as soon as the first snow fell, I was instantly bored with being indoors. Now that I suddenly can’t do all the things I like, my mind has drifted to being productive in the right job setting. If I find a “He%% Yeah” situation, maybe I’ll talk to them. I’d need lots of flexibility and independence, however, so it’s a needle in the haystack.

Have you thought about moving??

Living in the frozen north, we suffered from SAD and cabin fever for almost 8 months. We solved the boredom by moving to SE Arizona! As for the need to be productive, the long distance move has been a back-breaking amount of w*rk. Plus, having figure everything out and adapt to a new environment has been a healthy, although often exhausting, mental challenge.

Never did think about going back to paid w*rk. I do enough unpaid w*rk around here...
Old 11-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I actually thought I would have a hard time retiring, do to missing it. The one thing I never wanted to happen was that I was the oldest person still working with my company. I retired because I could, but I was one person away from being the oldest still there. Lol So, it I ever think I miss working, all I have to do is think about being the oldest person still there and missing work disappears immediately.

I much rather belong to the club of FIRE.
Heh, heh, we had a lady at Corp. HQ (I think she might have been an admin). She was 85 last I heard. Every few years, they would do a profile on her in the corporate "rag." One of my friends described seeing her at Corporate one day - shuffling along a hallway, carrying a stack of papers.

It wasn't for me, but I say "good on you" if that's what you want to do. My boss was going to stay to 65 but they changed the pension plan such that he would have actually received LESS had he stayed - long story. SO, he left a few years after I did.

I was starting to feel old - especially when I would attend Corp. training sessions. Folks would be giving a brief bio about their 5 years with the Corp. and here I was with over 30. There were shocked looks like "WOW!" I had a report who used to tease me because she was born the year I graduated from HS.

SO, yes, being "older" did make me feel a little strange from time to time. Still I claim I left "early" 'cause I was 58, not 65 but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #30

All done, too.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, we had a lady at Corp. HQ (I think she might have been an admin). She was 85 last I heard. Every few years, they would do a profile on her in the corporate "rag." One of my friends described seeing her at Corporate one day - shuffling along a hallway, carrying a stack of papers.

It wasn't for me, but I say "good on you" if that's what you want to do. My boss was going to stay to 65 but they changed the pension plan such that he would have actually received LESS had he stayed - long story. SO, he left a few years after I did.

I was starting to feel old - especially when I would attend Corp. training sessions. Folks would be giving a brief bio about their 5 years with the Corp. and here I was with over 30. There were shocked looks like "WOW!" I had a report who used to tease me because she was born the year I graduated from HS.

SO, yes, being "older" did make me feel a little strange from time to time. Still I claim I left "early" 'cause I was 58, not 65 but YMMV.
Great story! I also walked out the back door at age 58. I really did enjoy my job till the day I left thou.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #32
gone traveling

I picked up a part time gig working at the local gym where I am a member. It's not the money but something to do a few days a week.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #33

I retired twice. Once from the AF, and then civilian. In both cases I miss the coworkers. There is nothing like a flying squadron. I could have stayed there for a long time if it were not for the AF BS.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #34

No. I do not miss work at all.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Not so much working per se, but I miss that windowless basement cubicle and, of course, annual performance reviews.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Not at All
Old 11-14-2020, 10:52 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Not at All

Retired 6+ years now. Don't miss it in the least. Actually the only thing I miss is the pay, since I did well in sales. But with the time I spend investing, and the work I do around the house and outside that I would have paid others to do when working, our net worth is a good deal higher than when I left the workforce. Life is good.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I voluntarily retired because I value my time more. Miss work? Maybe people, but not work.
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote