Do you color your hair ?

• Yes

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 68.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
Yep, I dye my hair and I'm a guy. As long as I have to work, I'll keep doing it -- Age Discrimination is alive and well, so no reason to flaunt my age. But, as soon as I retire I also stop dying my hair (I guess one way to reduce expenses??).

I love nice looking gray hair . All the hip yoga doing women seem to have it . Plus I think most people who were blonde go gray nicely . I have brown hair and as I started to go gray it got much darker and washed out looking . So I get it colored which also gives my hair some body .

WhoDaresWins said:
I chose "sometimes". I have medium brown straight hair with only a few strands of gray (people in my family gray late). I get foil wraps twice a year which make for a very subtle color change...sort of like sunstreaks or highlights or whatever one calls them. It makes the gray strands less noticeable. This is the first time in my life that I have used any color in my hair at all. Right before I have the wraps done, my hair is pretty much it's natural color. I go for cuts about every 6 weeks to keep my above-the-shoulder bob in shape. It is not terribly expensive: wash and cut is $28.00, cut with the foil wraps is about $72.00 (excluding tip).

I could have written this word for word. I'm wondering if whodareswin is my alter ego. The hairstyle, the prices, everything...wow.

I have dark brown, very curly hair. I have quite a bit of gray mixed in and then some distinct streaks that are all gray. I've grown it long and wear it in a clip or in a braid which I think accentuates the all gray streaks.

People have complimented me on my "highlights", I guess they think it's admirable to not color over it. I don't color because I know once you start you have to keep up with it and the roots become so obvious.

My sister started covering her gray in her early 40's. First it was to match her original dark brown color, then she moved on to alternative shades, now she's a light blonde! And still frequently dealing with the roots.

There's a woman at the track who has a very long braid, down past her waist. The end is a dark brown and as you go up it fades to a lighter brown then into gray and finally around her shoulders it's all white. I wonder how long it's been since she cut it, it's like her own personal hair history.

I don't mind the gray but I don't like how my remaining dark brown is fading into a dull lighter brown.

DH still has plenty of hair, it runs in his family. More salt and pepper in recent years but it's nicely distributed and looks good on him. He has much less gray than me. He's never colored and I doubt that he would.

Where I work, some of the women, though well past 50, still wear their hair to their waists. The hair on the bottom is brown, in the middle it's gray, and the hair on top is white. I think it looks loony-tunes, but I don't expect them to care what I think.

Amethyst

There's a woman at the track who has a very long braid, down past her waist. The end is a dark brown and as you go up it fades to a lighter brown then into gray and finally around her shoulders it's all white. I wonder how long it's been since she cut it, it's like her own personal hair history.

I voted yes.
I have always opposed the idea of dyeing my hair because I didn't want to take the chance of damaging it with harsh chemicals. Most of my hair is still jet black, but the grey at my temples and above my forehead is coming in a bit heavier. Par for the course.
At Mr B's suggestion, I used an off-the-shelf dark auburn demi-permanent color rinse. The results were great! It looked like I had color highlights done professionally. The only problem was it made a real mess :nonono: in the bathroom sink. I quickly cleaned up the spatters and used a mild bleach solution on the Corian sink bowl and counter.
The next time, I had a hairdresser do it for me, using a wine colored red demi-permanent dye. Now that the sun is shining more often, the reddish (formerly grey) hairs look really great in contrast to my natural raven colored hair.
There has been no damage to my hair. I think I will continue to have it done as needed. :D I am growing my hair long these days. It is now just past shoulder length. When I get it re-shaped again, I'll post a pic.

Mr B does not dye his at all. His is mostly grey with some black. He asked me if I wanted him to dye his. Not for my sake was my answer.

I have waist length brunette hair, grey around the edges. Don't color it, I'm too cheap and too lazy.
Interesting that Mother didn't dye her hair, but Father did.

Thanks everyone for participating in this poll so far it looks like there are many more who do not color there hair than do . I even discounted it 20% ( according to the gender poll there are 20% more males ) even though several men said they do .The people who do not color are still ahead so I guess there are a bunch of LBYM even at the beauty parlor .:)

I have waist length brunette hair, grey around the edges. Don't color it, I'm too cheap and too lazy.
Interesting that Mother didn't dye her hair, but Father did.

My Mom only briefly died her hair when she was in her early 60's and my Dad loved it .It was an ash blond . My Dad was prematurely white for as long as I can remember . I always had the feeling that that ash blond was well worth the money for the feelings it aroused .

I have highlighted my own hair for years. I didn't start seeing much grey in my hair until I was in my 40's, and then the highlights kind of blended with it. I decided last year to abandon the highlights for a while, and see if the grey would look like natural highlights. Upon seeing a photo of myself last summer, I concluded that not only did they not look like highlights, but I looked like I was 100 years old! :LOL:

I promptly returned to highlighting and touching up the roots as needed.

What hair?

Yea I was going to ask if Bald is a color or not? Actually I do have some hair but it is all pretty much gray now. My wife and I took a vacation to Whistler recently with our daughter, and my wife snapped a pic of us. I think something happened to the exposure (heh) because it made me look like my hair had been bleached. Sort of like a white Dennis Rodman. It was sort of interesting looking to say the least. My friends on FB liked it anyways!

I've tried writing "flesh" on hair color questions several times; the last was a security clearance form after I had decided to retire. Needless to say the questioners were not amused.

I am going to get my hair colored on Tuesday. I think that it has been since October since I have had my hair colored or cut by my hair stylist. My daughter colored my hair for me once since October. I am trying to let my hair grow also. However, I am going to go to VA this week-end and will see a lot of relatives that I have not seen for awhile, so decided I had better get it colored and trimmed.

I keep toying with the idea of having my hair colored the pretty shade of grey at some point in the future, and see if that would help with trying to let the color go natural. Has anyone tried doing this?

I still have every strand of hair as I did in my 20s. :cool:

And 99% of them still have the same color. :cool:

Same with my wife. :cool:

The one in the family who has spent the most on hair coloring is my 25-yr old daughter, although she seemed to stop once she had to include housing expenses into her budget, first for an apartment and now for her town house. :)

No, I don't color my hair. I have just a grey hair here and there now, and not many here's and there's so far at all.

When I worked for megacorp, there were a lot of older guys who colored their hair. It was funny, they looked so goofy. A common effect was sort of a lighter brown, that had a reddish tinge to it when the light was right. I had to force myself not to look at some of these guy's hair during meetings, lest I started to chuckle.

One guy in his 60's that was all grey, always kidded me about my hair color. He really thought I colored it, because it wasn't getting grey like many others were getting around my age or older. I suggested to him that if he really didn't believe me, that I needed to show him my hair "other places" to prove it was the same. He quickly said that wasn't needed...

I don't color my hair. My beard and sideburns have a touch of gray, but the rest of my hair is still pretty dark. DW does color her hair.

I do not currently color my hair.

I've actually colored my hair a good bit of my life. It is very dark brown and I thought it was boring. When I was younger I highlighted it. Then about 18 years or so ago I went to a various shades of red/auburn. Even went blond for a couple of years.

Then a few years ago, I started coloring it myself. Dark brown just to color gray.

When I ESR'd I decided to let it grow out and see how it looks natural. Above my right eye and on that side it is a nice silvery white. However, most of the rest of it is a dark gray.

Personally I think it makes me look old (I'm 56) and I don't like the dark gray part. However, everyone tells me how much they like it which is sort of disconcerting....

I am keeping it like this for awhile but may start coloring again in a while.

My daughter was into colors like purple and orange in high school. She did the dye jobs in the shower - our walls looked like a rainbow.

Reminds me of the joke about the old sailor who sees a kid with multi-color hair in spikes.............

I've never colored mine, but my sister and mother have done it for years. I can't be bothered with the maintenance, even though I am getting some gray one here and there.
DH's buddies have accused him of dying his hair, just because he is the only one without tons of gray. Of course, he doesn't color it, he just doesn't have gray hair because he gets to live with me! :)

I have a male relative who had no gray hair for the longest time, while his wife, who was his age, was prematurely gray--she did not look older than him except for hair color. They had a great sense of humor about her being told by clerks, ticket agents, etc., that her "son" had paid for her or that her "son" could carry her suitcase.

I have a male relative who had no gray hair for the longest time, while his wife, who was his age, was prematurely gray--she did not look older than him except for hair color. They had a great sense of humor about her being told by clerks, ticket agents, etc., that her "son" had paid for her or that her "son" could carry her suitcase.
A very confident woman.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom