Do you color your hair ?

• Yes

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 68.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
One of our friends started just shaving his head at 63; I'm not sure how much hair he has anymore but it was gray as I remember--we saw him again last night and I have to say the shaved head makes him look younger. Who knew.

My hairdresser used to mix up a bottle of shampoo with some color in it . This helped me lengthen the time between color touch ups.

That's a good tip. When you shampoo your hair, does the color run?

I feel blessed to have salt and pepper hair at 68. Don't know what I will do when the inevitable happens? But I love the brunette hair of DW (dyed) and I have observed the DWs of my friends who have let their hair go natural. I don't like it.

I guess I object to being categorized as old. When the bus drivers question me about the seniors' discount, I always thank them loudly.

I feel blessed to have salt and pepper hair at 68. Don't know what I will do when the inevitable happens? But I love the brunette hair of DW (dyed) and I have observed the DWs of my friends who have let their hair go natural. I don't like it.

DH's hair is more salt than pepper but I think it looks great on him. I color mine close to my natural medium blonde shade. He says he doesn't care, but I think he really likes it. I look very drab with gray/blonde hair.

How is it fair that all guys look great with salt & pepper hair ?:)
It's mainly that women do not mark men down so severely for having age markers. Women tend to say- He looks pretty good for xx age. Men might say, well, she is zz! (Though never to anyone but another man.)

Ha

It's mainly that women do not mark men down so severely for having age markers. Women tend to say- He looks pretty good for xx age. Men might say, well, she is zz! (Though never to anyone but another man.)

Ha
and men in Sarasota must be incredibly rough because after seeing the pictures in the society pages .They don't even take their wives to events they take their daughters !:):)

Dyed my hair dark blue with a touch of red this weekend. Was meant to be red/purple/blue, but the blue dominated heavily.

and men in Sarasota must be incredibly rough because after seeing the pictures in the society pages .They don't even take their wives to events they take their daughters !:):)
Damn, that is harsh!

Ha

I've been thinking about coloring again but didn't really want to use chemicals to do it. I'm thinking of going to henna. A lot of henna people see in stores actually has other chemicals in it. The best henna is the same quality as body art henna (used for henna designs on skin). Here is a page showing various people's mixes to achieve different colors. Henna by itself produces red/auburn but if you use indigo with it you get brunette or even black depending on how you do it. Some of these are really amazing looking.

Henna for Hair: Dye hair with henna, indigo, cassia .... safely, beautifully!

Perhaps because we're used to seeing young, athletic men with shaved heads, and because gray hair makes everybody look older.

My mother was 40 when she had me, and her hair was all white by then (I remember being startled, when shown an old picture of her with hair that wasn't white "That can't be Mommy!"). She told me that sometimes, strangers complimented her on her adorable granddaughter :nonono:

Amethyst

One of our friends started just shaving his head at 63; I'm not sure how much hair he has anymore but it was gray as I remember--we saw him again last night and I have to say the shaved head makes him look younger. Who knew.

I doubt I'd color my hair--but I do have these awesome feathers! Have y'all heard about them? The hoop community has been all over them. They are clamped onto a few strands of your own hair and are long colored feathers that hang down like your own hair (attached right at the scalp). I've had these in for about 2 months now. You can just sort of see them flash when I move my hair--I've got purple, orange, blue/white stripe, and a little bit of white. I love them! Just enough hippie but not overboard! And you can wash and brush your hair same as always. Pretty cool!

Just saw this article in the NYT, about how this fashion craze is causing a feather shortage for fly fishermen https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/...eathers-fly.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha27

That is a funny article! And yes, feathers have gone very mainstream of late.
I just had some put back in my hair this week, after not having any for the past few months.

That is a funny article! And yes, feathers have gone very mainstream of late.
I just had some put back in my hair this week, after not having any for the past few months.

I blame this guy;)

Attachments

• tyler.jpg
    tyler.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 79
When younger (I am now 72) I looked about 20 younger then my actual age but in my 50's my hair and beard were mostly grey. Back in those days I would temporarily dye my hair and beard only when I went on job interviews. If I did get the job the people there were amazed by how quickly my hair turned grey (I told them it was due to job pressure).

Now I only look about 10-15 years younger and my hair is all grey although I haven't had a hair cut since I retired 7 years ago.

No, It is 99% dark brown, 1% grey. It is been thinning steadily up top for years.

The hair loss seems to be winning the battle over the greying process.

I'm just about due for my next demi-permanent color rinse. I've been growing my hair longer, going for only two re-shaping haircuts over the past 5 months. I let the last treatment fade naturally. My hair is now a combo of jet black, silver grey, and light reddish hairs (formerly grey). It looks really cool in the bright sunlight.

I like the results of the demi-permanent dye. No root touchups, no super harsh peroxide chemicals, and I get a different look over time as the dye fades over 3 or more months.

I'm just about due for my next demi-permanent color rinse. I've been growing my hair longer, going for only two re-shaping haircuts over the past 5 months. I let the last treatment fade naturally. My hair is now a combo of jet black, silver grey, and light reddish hairs (formerly grey). It looks really cool in the bright sunlight.

I like the results of the demi-permanent dye. No root touchups, no super harsh peroxide chemicals, and I get a different look over time as the dye fades over 3 or more months.

I've gone for the semi-perm color too but am a do it your selfer. Less harsh chemicals plus it really lasts just as long. Plus, who knows? I might go crazy and change from my natural color (dark blonde) to racy red just for the [-]hell[/-] heck of it;)

Salt and Pepper at this point (62) but at some point I think I'll become a Q-Tip. The good news is that it's thicker than ever and seems to grow faster at this point. I don't mind paying for a hair cut as there is plenty to cut.

Salt and Pepper at this point (62) but at some point I think I'll become a Q-Tip. The good news is that it's thicker than ever and seems to grow faster at this point. I don't mind paying for a hair cut as there is plenty to cut.

DH is now more salt than pepper, but has thick hair like you. I think he looks great! I'm another story. When I tried going to my natural color it just didn't look good. Often I think men look better with grey hair than women. There are many exceptions of course, but that's my general observation.

Here's the thing though - for freebirds like us we don't have to impress people who don't stack up to a hill of beans in our lives. If we feel good about ourselves, that's the most important thing of all.

Back in those days I would temporarily dye my hair and beard only when I went on job interviews. If I did get the job the people there were amazed by how quickly my hair turned grey (I told them it was due to job pressure).

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom