Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been working outside my entire career, in all sorts of miserable weather, so poor weather really doesn't deter me much.

I will put on a wetsuit top and jump in my kayak and frolic in 3' waves during a northwest winter storm. This is fun for me - especially when I know there is a roaring fire going back in the cabin and perhaps some fiery adult beverages.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Virginia View Post
Okay... and what are those passions?

So far, we've got reading, movie watching, beading, playing card games, cooking good-smelling stuff that takes long to cook, guitar-playing, internet surfing, and catching up on chores (which I for one cannot believe). And, of course, my beloved strategy war gaming (that no one seems too curious about).

Can you add a rainy day (or not) passion of your own?

Alex in Virginia
Mine is just the usual stuff like other people. I can also go to my electronic bench, and fire up my scopes, spectrum analyzers, signal generators and play with some circuits. I have done that less and less though.

Now, I spend more time on the Web looking for dishes that I can make and expand my culinary skills.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Most definitely snug in bed with the dogs and a good book!
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
Finally on long winter days, I turn on the old MSFT flight simulator, I like to fly a 737 jet, from say, Boston Logan to NY La Guardia, or from Amsterdam to
London, or LA to San Diego.
I do the same! I have a pretty sweet setup and my favorite jet is the A330. Last winter I did a round-the-world trip on my simulator keeping each leg under 2 hours when possible.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Definite INTJ with ADD, so I dabble in lots of things: playing guitar/writing songs, woodworking, photography, bicycling, napping...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

On bad weather days, I'll cook a sumptuous meaty meal complete with dessert, open a wonderful bottle of wine, put on a great movie and DH and I will have a big feast!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Definite INTJ with ADD, so I dabble in lots of things: playing guitar/writing songs, woodworking, photography, bicycling, napping...
How do you manage to only dabble at napping
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

One of my occasional rainy-day activities has been digitizing my LP collection.

It takes some time to break down all the tracks and edit them for the proper fade-in fade-outs and/or lead ins, and label the track names. I also get obsessive about trying to get as many clicks and pops edited out as I can. I sometimes find I spend 10 minutes on a few seconds of a quiet section of music, but then can go for a few minutes with no edits.

I have not found any automated SW that works w/o mucking up the sound. I zoom in on the waveform, find the little click and use the 'repair' function in Audacity - that's really good at making a small section of the waveform (< 3 mSec) follow the trend of the waveform adjacent to it. The pop is gone and no noticeable effect on the sound, since you've only edited such a small section.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
How do you manage to only dabble at napping
I'm an expert; don't try this at home!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Studying chess for my next tournament.
2. Baking and trying to perfect homemade bagels, pies, croissants, etc.
3. Programming a game or other piece of interesting software, such as a neural net.
4. Play with my kids if they are home from school!
5. Read, read, read.
6. Write something for one of my 3 blogs.
7. Surf financial sites or tweak a spreadsheet.
8. Download and play with new software or apps.
9. Pull out my charts or sailing magazines and daydream about the next sailing trip.
10. Enjoy a glass of wine with DW.

So much to choose from even on a rainy day.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our rainy day projects, in addition to the things above are cleaning out old stuff.
1. We have a single sheet scanner. One of my winter projects is to digitize then shred or keep many documents. Once digitized, I write out a description. Documents can be financial items, genealogy stuff, middle school awards.
2. We have a turntable and a mixer and sound editing software. I am digitizing Grass Roots, Madman Across the Water, and 75 other LPs.
3. DW has many slides from the 60s and 70s. She is digitizing them by using her SLR camera. I don't know how that works but it does.
4. A completed project was to compare back tax returns to SS record. Done. Have shredded most documents from the time before Reagan's second term but still debating whether we should keep the return itself. I understand the statute of limitations has passed.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer games, indoor activities, rainy days, retired lifestyle, what do to in retirement