Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2017, 03:26 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We usually get out of the house every day, but some days we just do something low key like take the dog to the park and go out for lunch.
I hate to waste gasoline, so I often don't drive every day, usually every other day. I get outside every day, but I am starting to think it's a good idea to get out of the house and go somewhere every day. So I have to get over "wasting" gasoline.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 04:26 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

People are different, but most report being happier in RE when they are occupied, and they are healthier (and probably happier) when they are mentally and socially engaged.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+2

To this I would only add, learning to tune out the voices that disapprove or find fault with the retirement and lifestyle choices I've made.
For me the voices are largely from people my age or older who are still working and envious. But I didn't throw off the harness only to put it back on in an equally heinous volunteer job.

I think that much of the time the "What do you do all day?" question from a new person is them trying to get an idea of what retirement for them might be like. I've heard it so much with the emphasis on the DO that I automatically feel defensive even if it might just be curiosity.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I'm relatively new to this as well and I was also giving a lot of thought to those posts, articles, etc. that said I had to retire "to" something rather than "from" work. Well, so far, something has always been finding me to keep me occupied, and a day doesn't go by that I don't think how glad I am to be "from" work.
I hope not to have something in retirement that I have to do, formally defined, like a mission.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Is it OK not to get yourself intellectually challenged in early retirement?
It sounds like you've had an intellectually challenging career, so I think it's perfectly rational to take a break from the intellect when you retire. I've done a lot of relatively-mindless, labor-intensive projects since I ERd. But after a couple years, I found myself missing the intellectual part just a bit, so I pursued some things that would give me that challenge. But still they were very different that when I was w*rking. It's important to not just waste away in retirement, but there's no requirement that your retirement life has to look anything like your w*rking life.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

When I find myself "busy", it's usually a good thing because I like what I'm doing. Examples: Helping out neighbors, interacting with UH students, going to open houses, etc. But if I'm "forced" to be busy, it's just like being at w*rk - or worse since I don't get paid for it. Examples: getting ready for taxes, cleaning the condo, doctor appointments, etc. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I hate to waste gasoline, so I often don't drive every day, usually every other day. I get outside every day, but I am starting to think it's a good idea to get out of the house and go somewhere every day. So I have to get over "wasting" gasoline.
Getting out of the house is good. I had made it a practice from my first day of retirement to leave the house every day. for at least an hour if not more.

Get shoot the breeze with folks at the diner, twice a week also going to the Y more opportunity to chat with others. Never gave a thought to wasting gas. IMHO encounters with random people and the usual suspects is a good thing.

Now that I am a widower it is even more important to get out every day for a while. As far too many get into a grand funk, get sloppy, unshaven, unwashed etc.. Seen far too many of that version in the past ten or so years.

My attendance at dance classes requires me up my game in getting clean and neat, dress in a reasonably dressy coordinated fashion, besides learning new stuff. The 45 minute drive to and from is actually a plus. Part of what I call "drive therapy".
Old 08-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I have to admit that I was one that retired to "nothing", but that is exactly what I was looking forward to. Up until then, almost EVERYTHING had to be planned...dinners, w*rk schedules, vacations, EVERYTHING...and I disliked that. I wanted the freedom to do pretty much whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and it has been good to me. I can say that in the 3 years that I have been retired, the moments of "boredom" have been pretty much non-existent. I often wake up with nothing in mind to "do", but somehow I will go to bed and will have only accomplished 1/2 of what I eventually set out to do.

At any rate, and as others have mentioned, if you don't feel confident that you can occupy your time in the way YOU want to, then perhaps continuing to w*rk isn't a bad idea. For me, I hated w*rking for someone else. I don't mind hard w*rk and certainly there are things around the house that need tending to and is w*rk, but I am the boss and no one else (well, except the DW!).

And as to the question that some folks may ask about "what did you do all day?"...this is my favorite quote from the movie "Office Space":

Old 08-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Getting out of the house is good. I had made it a practice from my first day of retirement to leave the house every day. for at least an hour if not more.
My attendance at dance classes requires me up my game in getting clean and neat, dress in a reasonably dressy coordinated fashion, besides learning new stuff. The 45 minute drive to and from is actually a plus. Part of what I call "drive therapy".
One of the most amazing and uplifting things I've seen in my neighborhood is this.

A 90+ gentleman who lives in a nearby CCRC walks up and down the road (a good mile!) every morning between 7 and 8AM. But here's the thing, he is impeccably dressed. Being summer, it may mean a Seersucker suit and straw hat. In winter, it may mean a suit with vest.

It seems to keep him going.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I look at it this way. The great thing about being retired is having the luxury of time. Its like having a great piece of meat. Even the best piece of meet needs to be cooked right and will often benefit from a a bit of seasoning to bring out the best flavor. So, I do this much planning ahead ** to get this much additional benefit in life **********.

What I don't do is spend this much time planning and keeping busy ************ to get this much more enjoyment ***.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #52

There is no life rule that says you HAVE to be busy. But you are expressing that you would like to be engaged in something. For that, there are a gajillion volunteer opportunities. I do not mean exclusively offering your time to non-profits, but also joining organizations that support/encourage your interests.

You could volunteer at the library, helping non-native speakers polish their English skills, or teach someone to read, or teach someone to use a computer. You could be involved with education by taking classes, and if they have a student organization, helping to guide the policies of the organization, or coordinate the annual picnic.

I think you get the idea. Work on things that interest you. When you get bored, moved on to other things.

- Rita
Old 08-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
One of the most amazing and uplifting things I've seen in my neighborhood is this.

A 90+ gentleman who lives in a nearby CCRC walks up and down the road (a good mile!) every morning between 7 and 8AM. But here's the thing, he is impeccably dressed. Being summer, it may mean a Seersucker suit and straw hat. In winter, it may mean a suit with vest.

It seems to keep him going.
I would be in a world of hurt. My retirement "uniform" consists of shorts and a large selection of t-shirts that have an average age of what I would guess is 10 years. One of the few things that I didn't mind about w*rking was that I got to wear a flight suit everyday. It was wash and wear and well, there is nothing like getting to wear pajamas everyday to w*rk!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I would be in a world of hurt. My retirement "uniform" consists of shorts and a large selection of t-shirts that have an average age of what I would guess is 10 years. One of the few things that I didn't mind about w*rking was that I got to wear a flight suit everyday. It was wash and wear and well, there is nothing like getting to wear pajamas everyday to w*rk!
Oh, I'm with you! If I'm still kicking at 90+, it is going to shorts and t-shirt.

But what I see here is really amazing. This gentleman is clearly still going strong, and keeping alert and healthy, on his terms.

I do like his hat. I think I need to buy a straw hat.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I'm wearing shorts and t-shirts and sandles in summer days, feeling relaxing.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Since we go out often it makes assorted annual passes and memberships for us pretty cheap per visit, and then our only other out of pocket cost is gas. My favorite park costs ~$10 on the weekends to go to between the car fee and dog fee, but I found I could buy an annual pass for that park and 64 other regional parks for whole year for $40 with DH's veteran's discount. I also combined my gas budget into the entertainment budget since most of our distance driving is for entertainment. So as long as I stay under budget for the category, I'm happy even if the gas portion is high for the month. Depreciation is a separate, annual category.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #57

Retirement is a matter of personal choice.

Personally, I would go stark raving mad if I did not have things I wanted to do. FIREing was not about leaving an exceptionally well paid career but creating space to do other things I want to do and enjoy. I prefer to be moderately busy than not but understand that we each have our own ideas of what constitutes the ideal retirement. Academic studies, committee work, writing, a little part time consultancy are all things I look forward to getting out of bed for each morning.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #58

I guess do whatever you want to do, or not to do, in retirement will be just fine, for a period of time. I am just scared by a very long retirement without anything meaningful to do.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I guess do whatever you want to do, or not to do, in retirement will be just fine, for a period of time. I am just scared by a very long retirement without anything meaningful to do.
Sounds like you are looking for structure. I said the same thing after I retired to a retired teacher at a class I was taking. His response was, look for things you like to do and the structure will come.

May I suggest you get a copy of Ernie Zielinkski's 'How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free.' ' The Joy of Not Working' is also good. You need to find the structure (beyond the required havetodo's around the home).

Go with what intrigues you.

Rita
Old 08-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Not generally a Beatles fan....but:

"We're so sorry Uncle Albert
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote