Do you remember your "countdown" to retirement?

My countdown began about 3mo out when I let every one know. I enjoyed my w*rk, it was just time for me. Countdown was done by week on a calendar. I had written what I wanted to accomplish before leaving. I couldn't make it where it was smooth but no need to leave a crap storm behind. I also had days off to use up. I joked I was taking a PRD (practice retirement day). I look back & smile. It was fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Other than W2R's response, reading the other responses here I feel a bit like a freak! I was in my mid 20's in 1991 when I had a revelation (with the help of a friend who ended up doing the same thing) that if I saved and invested well I could retire by 40. So I started a countdown 'clock', really just a piece of paper starting at approx 2500 working days. I would cross off the old number and write the new lower number each day when I came home.
When I turned 40 I received a large salary increase and became greedy realizing that if I stuck around until I was 55 I could be much wealthier than originally planned and also be eligible for a fantastic pension+health care. So I started a new countdown sheet.
Early this year I realized that I have more than enough money and I hate working and CAN'T wait 5 more years until I'm 55 so I simply quit. I'll collect my large pension in a few years instead of immediately. I still have the countdown sheet frozen at 1086 working days. I smile every time I pass that shelf in my house!

I have now started counting down "work" dasy. With weekends, holidays and vacation days, I have less the 50 "work"days to go!

Any one else?

(Vacation day today to keep from going over the accumulation limit)

We are not there yet but should be in 6 months. Funny, you know how time flies, since we have set a retirement date it seems to go very slow........

Got a countdown app on my smartphone a few months ago. 2850 days to go. Seems forever but I know time feels like it accelerates as I grow older. 55 here I come!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

When I retired from the military I had a countdown too then went back to my civilian job. Target age was 55 but a quote from Nords I saw in an article "working is not the problem being an employee is" made an impression. I really think I'm going to move up the timeline to early next year. I don't have a calendar but a hair trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Less than 400 days left for me....unless OMY hits me. Of course I would gladly work part time or part of the year, I just don't want to work 2,000 hours a year anymore (or at least not in a cubical).

Racing for the FIRE finish line, but I don't know where it is.

1,689 days remaining. The only way I get through it is one day at a time. :(:(:(

Congrats to all those approaching the finish line shortly! :dance::dance:

11 more work days for me and the hours are crawling. I've handed off most responsibilities and there's not much to do.

The app I recently downloaded to my phone says just 218 days to go. Whoop!

I started my countdown on a Tuesday and was gone that same-week's Friday morning. Told elsewhere, I learned of a new assignment which I didn't want. I gave my notice on a Tuesday and had my exit interview 3 days later. I was still actually officially empl*yed - and would have returned for a dire emergency - for about 3 more weeks. I took all of it as vacation time. I stayed up until midnight on the very last day and listened to my company voicemail account go "dark." Quite a pleasing end to my tenure. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom