Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly17 View Post
- Do you do any paying work in retirement?
No! I would rather live in a cardboard box under a bridge and eat dandelions and worms than go back to work.

But Frank's choice has been to work part time occasionally, and he has done so for about ten years.
Quote:
- How many hours a week do you work?
For me, zero! He typically works about 6-10 hours a week, although it varies depending on what acts are in town.
Quote:
- What types of jobs are people doing in retirement?
He does sound and lights for musical acts down in the French Quarter.

He earns maybe a hundred dollars each week. Mostly what he gets out of it is a chance to hang out with, and socialize with a variety of musicians and entertainment industry people that he has known for half a century. Plus he gets to use his engineering skills to troubleshoot any technical problems with the sound system or lights, and to design and improve these systems.

During the pandemic, the bars have been shut down and when they were re-opened, no live music was allowed. So, he has only worked one or two nights since early March. It's given him a chance to think about whether or not he wants to continue now that he is growing older. No decision yet.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So my view is I'm retired when I no longer have to work for $'s and no longer have to manage a career or resume.
My vision is I'll still do some part time work to provide some structure and enjoyment even when retired.
So my questions are the following:

Thank You.
i did...for a while. was a volunteer (no $) for a few years at our local county history museum. i was also a school crossing guard for ~10-yrs ($) as was my wife for ~15-yrs (both of us were compensated). we both were also judges of election ($) for ~8-yrs. all of that is behind us and we both are blissfully, completely unemployed.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #43

After I retired seven years ago I developed an allergy to working. I pushed through the allergies to deal with some rentals, but eventually gave them up except for a shore house we rent for maybe 3-5 weeks per year. Even then, we pay for others to clean and do yard work.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
as far as I am concerned, if you have to be PAID to do something, then it can't all be fun and games.
I guess I'm one of a lucky few who would do my "job" even if I wasn't getting paid for it. The income is nice, but I've never struck it rich. Even if sales drop off to nothing, I'll probably keep doing it for my own mental stimulation and entertainment.

That said, I'm not retired yet. I don't know what life without work feels like. Even if I take a day or a week off, my wife still has to work. So, I might as well work too. I can only base my future on what my life is like today and where I "think" it is headed.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:25 AM   #45

I'll jump in the water - I am fully working now, but have been semi-retired before and could retire fully now. I've thought about this question a lot lately and have narrowed it down to the following:

1) Work is doing something you don't particularly want to do but have to.
2) Depending on who you are, different things will be work or not work. Simple example: I hate dusting and mowing lawns; I like folding laundry.
3) Retirement to me is not having to work for money, i.e., you do something because you like it and it does not matter if you are remunerated or not.
4) For me personally, I prefer being a consultant on areas that interest me and will probably do that until I die or are unable to think; being paid for it is nice, but wouldn't necessarily be required. I will still read about and constantly educate myself in several areas of interest even when retired.
5) Hobbies can become work if you are doing something that requires a certain level of finish or capability to be paid. If you do something and then someone happens to want to pay you for the finished product, then that's a side benefit. However, if you are commissioned and/or the 'customer/client' wants changes, it moves over to work very quickly.
6) When I retire (which will be very soon), I will still consult but I will not be an employee again. I like getting paid for my opinion, but am no longer interested in getting paid for the accomplishment of someone else's agenda.

Was class of 2015, will probably be a final class of 2021 :-)
Old 06-25-2020, 05:47 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)

F*** NO! I would set up a cardboard condominium next to W2R under a bridge before working for wages again. (But upgrade to dog food for DW and I - better nutrition.)

Had lunch with a widower friend this week. (Outside patio with a breeze and water front at a grill. I came with a manly black face mask and he wore some pansy assed baby blue mask).

My retired 59 yo friend had just been offered a Directorship at a nuclear plant in Abu Dhabi for stupid money - $450k/yr, two year commitment. He turned it down last week. Good for him. After nursing his wife through her illness, he knows the value of time and money.

Now volunteering for a good cause (that does not jeopardize my health) is a different story. Right now I spend a few hours each week with the HOA - personally satisfying and forming some friendships with neighbors.

Currently, I would not get any joy from earning $10-$30/hr part time job and taking direction from some whippersnapper.
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #47

Work/Not Work doesn’t have to be a light switch. It can be a dimmer switch.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even though I wrote earlier that I don't do any work since I retired, I earn a teeny weeny amount of money from helping my (snake-bit) friend manage his portfolio and prepare his income tax returns. He pays me $120 per year for what amounts to on average an hour per month. During tax season, of course, I spend more of those 12 hours per year doing this stuff for him. Managing his portfolio includes making his Roth IRA purchase and taking his RMD from his inherited IRA. (He received a large inheritance in 2012 which increased my help from simply preparing his income tax returns to portfolio management.)

Over the 8 years of managing his portfolio, we have simplified his portfolio some and consolidated his holdings down to 4 accounts in 2 financial institutions (plus his local bank). Most days, I don't even look at his portfolio.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I am no longer interested in getting paid for the accomplishment of someone else's agenda.
Oh I'm so stealing that the next time someone asks me if I'd ever go back to work!

I have a slightly-less-than-part-time business that I started while working. I can turn it off and on whenever I like, I'm not dependent on the income (but it's nice), and it has some tax advantages. I do it mainly for the creative outlet, and it certainly helped DH feel more comfortable with ER.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have never claimed to be retired and never stopped working. I think that I am semi-retired.

The reason that I am not fully retired is because that once I retire, I will never look for a job again. So I need to build some buffers for my portfolio.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I left mega corp at age 55 with a pension and decent sized 401K. I got into real estate thinking that it would be fun for a couple of years. I'm now 8+ years into "retirement" and I still enjoy the real estate. Working with young buyers has been a ball and they know I'm not trying to sell them a house because I need to make next months mortgage payment. I get to be the "fatherly" real estate agent.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I transitioned to a part time professional work schedule in 2015. My weekly work hours can vary from zero to 30. Probably average 10 to 15 hours per week . Although the stress level is way down, it is just enough that you are always thinking about work in the back of your mind. Therefore, I do not feel retired. Still have to do continuing education etc.. I currently plan to stop working and retire at the end of 2022. That appears to be my social security sweet spot. I will be 67+. Really old for this site although I do not feel old!
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:21 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired in 2016 at 46 years old from a Financial Services Firm and was home for about a year before a friend asked me to join him in starting up a new Firm. I am a partner and only make money if the company makes money. I am able to work from home and work about 2-3 days a week. After 3 years we are profitable and making good money. I don't need to work but I enjoy the work and my coworkers. I would not have gone back if it was full time. I think if you can get a good work/life balance - then give it a shot.
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn’t work if I had a boss. Both teaching and consulting fit that criteria. For a long time I was able to teach one class all 3 semesters. They eliminated my class and now I am only teaching one semester a year. It’s a master level class so it’s more fun to teach than the undergraduate class.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #55

I have a hobby job and I still call myself retired because I only normally work about 10 hours a week and I work from home and the deadlines are not tight.

I watch TV shows as a freelance subtitle editor. A lot of people do word puzzles or sudoku to keep their mind fit and entertained. This editing gig keeps my mind fit and entertained. Perfect side hobby job for me and I even get paid to do it (but not very much, but that's OK.)

Having said that, since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been many more projects (new shows) coming my way, and I've been editing more shows, which means more hours of work. It still doesn't feel like a real job though, as after all, I work while watching TV lol.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post

F*** NO! I would set up a cardboard condominium next to W2R under a bridge before working for wages again. (But upgrade to dog food for DW and I - better nutrition.)

Had lunch with a widower friend this week. (Outside patio with a breeze and water front at a grill. I came with a manly black face mask and he wore some pansy assed baby blue mask).

My retired 59 yo friend had just been offered a Directorship at a nuclear plant in Abu Dhabi for stupid money - $450k/yr, two year commitment. He turned it down last week. Good for him. After nursing his wife through her illness, he knows the value of time and money.

Now volunteering for a good cause (that does not jeopardize my health) is a different story. Right now I spend a few hours each week with the HOA - personally satisfying and forming some friendships with neighbors.

Currently, I would not get any joy from earning $10-$30/hr part time job and taking direction from some whippersnapper.
Sounds about right except for the part about W2R.
Even if she was under a bridge, she wouldn't want any forum members knowing who she is.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m a dentist. I hit my magic number when I was 47 but with kids still in middle and high school at the time I decided to keep going. My youngest went off to college when I hit 51. At that time I decided to “retire in practice”. I cut my hours to 3 days a week and did a lot of traveling.

At 54 I sold my practice and went to work for the guy who bought my practice. I did 12 hours a week then dropped to 8. I also started volunteering at a charity clinic to provide care for the underprivileged. I finally left my old practice end of last year and then everything in the dental industry came to a screeching halt when the coronavirus hit. A friend of mine just asked if I could help him a bit in his office and I have agreed. So I’m back at it for 8-12 hours a week.

I enjoy being able to help people and mentor younger docs just starting out. Staying engaged in dentistry is allowing me to stay mentally sharp and use my skills and experience to give back to this world.

I know some of you say I’m not retired but since I sold my practice 2 years ago the dentistry I do is really more like fun and less like work.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Sounds about right except for the part about W2R.
Even if she was under a bridge, she wouldn't want any forum members knowing who she is.
Well, all I would know about atmsmshr is that he was the rich, upscale dude living in the cardboard box next door who could afford to eat dog food instead of worms and dandelions.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #59

Quote:
So my view is I'm retired when I no longer have to work for $'s and no longer have to manage a career or resume.
By that definition there are lots of people working full time who are not retired, that seems to stretch the definition of retired pretty far.
JustCurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

According to the IRS I've had nothing but unearned income for the last 30-35 years. No social security contributions on my part. So running a herd of rentals isn't work, right? Always have been unclear about if I'm working or retired or what.