Old 06-26-2020, 04:37 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
- No
- Zero
- NA
Quote:
+1 Same.
Retired for ME is no work whatsoever forever.
Nuff said.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

One of my objectives when I retire is to play more music. I have too many friends who are trying to make a living playing music to compete with them by giving my talents away for free. In my community and social circle it is not acceptable for me to play certain types of shows without receiving payment, but I enjoy playing those types of shows. In fact, it's one of the reasons I want to retire — is to play more music at a quality level that people are willing to pay for, in times and places where others have arranged audiences to listen to me.

Mind you, I try to avoid using words that indicate I'm taking money to play music. I take money to organize the event, drive there, practice for it, arrange the songs, hire the other musicians, pay someone else as a sub if I'm sick, and all that. I also take money out of principle, to support the idea that quality musicians are valuable just like quality plumbers and quality engineers and quality lawyers are valuable.
music-and-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes (extra cash but still enabling Roth conversions)
8-60 hours per month (occasional, remote & I set availability)
Teaching/consulting (decent rate, but some of it I do for free, supporting veterans)

I question myself before every session, but always end up happy after every session.
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-and-ski View Post
One of my objectives when I retire is to play more music. I have too many friends who are trying to make a living playing music to compete with them by giving my talents away for free. In my community and social circle it is not acceptable for me to play certain types of shows without receiving payment, but I enjoy playing those types of shows. In fact, it's one of the reasons I want to retire ó is to play more music at a quality level that people are willing to pay for, in times and places where others have arranged audiences to listen to me.

Mind you, I try to avoid using words that indicate I'm taking money to play music. I take money to organize the event, drive there, practice for it, arrange the songs, hire the other musicians, pay someone else as a sub if I'm sick, and all that. I also take money out of principle, to support the idea that quality musicians are valuable just like quality plumbers and quality engineers and quality lawyers are valuable.
A Canadian singer/songwriter often plays coffeehouses and house parties in our area. He tells the story that he was a bush pilot up north when a close call with some power lines convinced him to change careers. You're probably familiar with him.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:53 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, all I would know about atmsmshr is that he was the rich, upscale dude living in the cardboard box next door who could afford to eat dog food instead of worms and dandelions.
Fear not - I will share the dogfood with worthy neighbors.
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #66

If you are working then you are NOT retired.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #67

Hide the bong. The retirement police have arrived.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
A Canadian singer/songwriter often plays coffeehouses and house parties in our area. He tells the story that he was a bush pilot up north when a close call with some power lines convinced him to change careers. You're probably familiar with him.

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed it. I so admire talented people.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'm not really retired anymore. I tend to answer "Self Employed" on most questionnaires these days. We started a small business in DW's name a few years after FIRE, although I do all the work. I figured we'd make a couple thousand dollars a year. But it's grown so much that I'm making about 75% of what I was making when I was working full time.

I have a few periods of being pretty busy, almost full time, especially near the end of the year. But mostly I work maybe 2-10 hours/week, and sometimes nothing at all for a month or so. When I finish the end of year stuff I don't usually have anything else until late March/April. And I enjoy it, and can do it at my own time. I get to keep my hand in in the high tech/AV world, which is fun. I tend to work on it at night while DW and I are watching TV.

It's very low stress job, and I can just stop doing it anytime I want. So I don't really consider myself employed. More like FI/semi-RE. Not what I had planned at all, but I'm pretty happy with the way it's worked out. It's funny, because I spent most of my working years planning to get out. And I would never go back to work under anyone else's rules. But I'm quite pleased with my current situation.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Years ago I had a patient in his late 70ís who had the appearance, energy and the vibe of someone at least 15 years younger. He would come in well dressed, was very charming- think a mature James Bond.

On one of his visits I asked him what his secret was, and he told me, ďthe secret to aging well, is to never retire. I could have retired several decades ago but instead I have decided to keep going. I donít work hard like I did when I was younger but to this day I still go into the office a few days a week and do some work. It keeps my mind sharp.Ē

This patient lived an active life until the end, when, at the age of 83 he passed away from injuries he sustained when he was thrown from a horse while horseback riding.

I never forgot what he said and I am following his advice. I continue to work a little bit and stay engaged, and it seems to be working because even though Iím now 56, a lot of people I meet think Iím in my late 30ís.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Years ago I had a patient in his late 70ís who had the appearance, energy and the vibe of someone at least 15 years younger. He would come in well dressed, was very charming- think a mature James Bond.

On one of his visits I asked him what his secret was, and he told me, ďthe secret to aging well, is to never retire. I could have retired several decades ago but instead I have decided to keep going. I donít work hard like I did when I was younger but to this day I still go into the office a few days a week and do some work. It keeps my mind sharp.Ē

This patient lived an active life until the end, when, at the age of 83 he passed away from injuries he sustained when he was thrown from a horse while horseback riding.

I never forgot what he said and I am following his advice. I continue to work a little bit and stay engaged, and it seems to be working because even though Iím now 56, a lot of people I meet think Iím in my late 30ís.
If I color my hair, I look like 20 years younger.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post

I assume your patient had a reasonably short commute which didn't wear him out too much. In my final months of working, I was down to 2 days a week but the 75-minute commute each way on 2 different train systems was wearing me down to the point that I had to make it zero.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
But I'm quite pleased with my current situation.
This is all that really matters. If we are happy with our current situation it just doesn't matter if someone describes us as either "employed", "semi-retired" or "retired". Even if that someone is ourselves.

Time to defund the Internet Retirement Police. : )
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Shortly after corporate retirement, I fell into a part time dream "job" which I can't believe they actually pay me for doing. I can work any amount of hours I want but like last week, I worked 46.5 hours over 5 days.

I mostly work on my own, but I do have limited contact with others. I enjoy interacting with some of the younger folks and there's one I am mentoring now on FI at his request.

When it's not fun anymore I will quit. But for now I'm having a ball. And the extra income is like mad money to me. I can blow it on stupid stuff with no second thought if I wish.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
This is all that really matters. If we are happy with our current situation it just doesn't matter if someone describes us as either "employed", "semi-retired" or "retired". Even if that someone is ourselves.

Time to defund the Internet Retirement Police. : )
+1
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Shortly after corporate retirement, I fell into a part time dream "job" which I can't believe they actually pay me for doing. I can work any amount of hours I want but like last week, I worked 46.5 hours over 5 days.

I mostly work on my own, but I do have limited contact with others. I enjoy interacting with some of the younger folks and there's one I am mentoring now on FI at his request.

When it's not fun anymore I will quit. But for now I'm having a ball. And the extra income is like mad money to me. I can blow it on stupid stuff with no second thought if I wish.
I don't know what you do, but it sounds like the gig makes your FIRE even sweeter! Congrats!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

I retired at 59, took two years off and then took a part-time job right before the Covid shutdown. I'm working from home 3 days per week for a call center serving small banks and credit unions. I'm not sure how long I'll do it. Good and bad days like any job but the second I feel stressed I'm out. I'm not in it for the money but for the mental stimulation.
klscaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #78

I’ve been retired 7.5 years. Wasn’t really bored for 6.5 years. Moved to a new place where I am not able to do some of the things I enjoyed. So, I am now exploring some options. That includes going back to work at something I can do that is very flexible, and where I can provide something to the market that seems (to me) to be missing. Another option is to move again...not really my cup of tea, but may have to in order to avoid going nuts. Even if I do go back to work, it would only be on my terms, doing something I’m passionate about. I’ve already calculated how much the government would take, because my marginal rate is already on the very high end, so if I do something, I have to be doing it for the passion, because it certainly won’t be for a lot of after tax money.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #79
Dryer sheet wannabe

work in retirement

I have been known to sell stuff on ebay, a little bit of horse trading... but mainly managing various investments. I might like to start some kind of business after this corona crap is under control. It will be after the big mask burning party.
JohnRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

No work for me, unless it's working on my own home or my own project.

No volunteering either, not going to work for anyone for zero pay.