Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Like half my j*b, decent vaca policy, access to tools and boss. Politics squash the plusses. Counting the days though...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #42

I loved my job for most of my career. Once I became FI in my early 50's I noticed the "love" declining. By the time I retired at 56 the love had turned into something more like "bored acceptance". Was glad to retire(10 years ago) and have no intention to ever work for money again.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
My job (school crossing guard) is not a career, it's something I started doing after our kids were grown. I needed to complete my Social Security credits so I looked for something that would get me the minimum earnings per year needed to get the credits. I think it was around $1000/credit so $4000/yr.
I'm in a similar position of wanting to earn Social Security credits after I retire. A variety of jobs come to mind, though something seasonal would probably work best.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Not interested in working again. Full or part time. Not even "hobby".

I have enough hobbies as it is and I have to pay to do them.
Amen, Robbie!

I will say that for the first 10 or so years of working, my enjoyment of the job outweighed the negative aspects of the thing I despised the most about it, the long, tiring commute. But that positive gap diminished later into the 1990s and eventually became a negative gap. And once that happened, I needed to lessen the commute by reducing the number of days I commuted to the office. At first, I did some telecommuting. But the company ended that a few years in and I had to return to some of the horrors of commuting a few more days a week than before. I knew at that time it would be my undoing, as in retiring.

I, too, Robbie, have enough hobbies and volunteer work. Some of these activities require money but some of them require very, very little money. And I don't miss working at all!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Used to like my job, then various changes changed it more to not minding it much, plus they basically left me alone. DH and I wanted to RE more because there was so much non-work stuff we wanted to do with our lives.

Alas, now that I'm alone, I'm still working, but certainly not because I need to. Mainly it gets me out of the house, and megacorp is treating me very well in these early months of widowhood (not expecting much of me!). I figure I'll finish out the year, then maybe see about switching to part time, mainly for the health insurance.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Used to like my job, then various changes changed it more to not minding it much, plus they basically left me alone. DH and I wanted to RE more because there was so much non-work stuff we wanted to do with our lives.

Alas, now that I'm alone, I'm still working, but certainly not because I need to. Mainly it gets me out of the house, and megacorp is treating me very well in these early months of widowhood (not expecting much of me!). I figure I'll finish out the year, then maybe see about switching to part time, mainly for the health insurance.
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you're doing well. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you're doing well. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm okay, though of course sad and still a bit bewildered. Reading the boards helps me look for little tidbits on constructing a post-work life on my own, since I *think* that not every poster here is part of a couple! [emoji4]
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

DW is still working and still likes her job (school teacher). She says it's an easy job and she plans to keep working until she doesn't like it anymore. I know she also enjoys the social interaction with her fellow teachers.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Amen, Robbie!

I will say that for the first 10 or so years of working, my enjoyment of the job outweighed the negative aspects of the thing I despised the most about it, the long, tiring commute. But that positive gap diminished later into the 1990s and eventually became a negative gap. And once that happened, I needed to lessen the commute by reducing the number of days I commuted to the office. At first, I did some telecommuting. But the company ended that a few years in and I had to return to some of the horrors of commuting a few more days a week than before. I knew at that time it would be my undoing, as in retiring.

I, too, Robbie, have enough hobbies and volunteer work. Some of these activities require money but some of them require very, very little money. And I don't miss working at all!

+1 on all sentiments!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I like my IT consulting job. 80% of it is more like a hobby, things I would choose to work with on my own time. I also never thought I be paid this much for a job - particularly without having any direct personnel reporting to me - and it is way more than our expenses so we can choose to save a lot a still spend to enjoy life. I work mostly from home now so the occasional commute is not an issue.

I do however want more daily control, the ability to do whatever I want, so that is my retirement consideration. I also have a lot of people and projects outside of work that I can spend time on and enjoy, so I do not feel any loss of identity. I am not ruling out working part time for something that I enjoy. Megacorp has in the past offered voluntary retirement programs to work part time for a while before full retirement (in fact one that was offered 5 years ago was a reason I found this forum). If the offer comes up again I would jump at it.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
You might consider being a tax aide through AARP. You can get more info and enroll on their website.
Same thing that I was going to recommend. It's fun, people are really grateful, and it only lasts for 3 1/2 months per year. The training takes a few days in early January and is the only boring part. Plus you get to do your own taxes and efile for free.

One of my grandfathers retired in his mid-fifties to continue his successful investment hobby, one kept working until nearly 80 when his hearing became so poor that he could no longer communicate. He was miserably bored for the next 20 years.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

A funny thing happened when I became FI at 51. I relaxed and decided I would not let the office or Corp. politics interfere with my j*b or my enjoyment of it. Yes, there were still performance interviews to give (and receive) and I did have to show up every day. Still, the w*rk I was doing was enjoyable with only the occasional exception. I stopped putting in (unpaid) overtime and skipped Corp. meetings and even staff meetings whenever I felt like it. I'm sure those up the line got frustrated with me from time to time as I never took the politics seriously nor did I comply with all the bs that flowed down hill. I figured if they wanted to fire me then I would be FIRED. I had more or less created the position I was in and therefore it suited me very well.

One day they said "Now, you're going to do something else." (Heh, heh, the implication was "Now you're going to dow what we tell you!") I said "No way." I gave my notice and left at the end of the week (to expend the remainder of accrued vacation.) The timing happened to be near perfect. The last kid was independent, the Corp. system was imploding and I was MORE than FI. If I have a regret - and I really don't - I missed a "buy out" a couple of years later. Still, what are two years of your life worth if you must do something you hate. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #53

I enjoyed a lot of facets of my work, like finding and buying and integrating companies that were a good fit with mine. What I hated were the politics and bureaucracy. I also hated 2am conference calls. I hated it when our global CFO belittled my people to the point of tears for not knowing something he thought they should know, that happened several years back, when they just joined 3 months prior, etc. I hated that I had to do it, but I literally stood up for them (yes, got out of my chair and threatened him if he continued to act like an @$$. He was eventually fired, not long after I hung up my spurs).

I was talking to a guy yesterday, who had retired 4 years ago. He had been lured back to work in a supporting industry to the one in which he had built a name for himself. This new company offered him money that most couldn't refuse, but he did, at first. They begged and begged, he put his conditions on the table, which was mostly time related (he has a 90 year old mother that he has to help from time to time, he goes abalone diving every year, and he had scored 3 deer tags, and was intent on finding and bringing home a deer for each tag, etc...each of those takes time). They essentially told him, they'd take whatever he could offer, no politics, etc. so he went back to work, and is loving what he is doing because he doesn't have to deal with cr@p and he can take all the time he needs for his other interests. I'm guessing that if something like that came my way, I might bite. But for now, I'm happy doing (or not), what I'm doing.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

I used to LOVE my job. Work as Sales VP for MegaCorp for 25 years and was empowered to lead my team in my Region. Despite working for large well-known company, the job felt entrepreneurial in that we could shape our strategy based on the dynamics of the markets I oversaw.
That has changed in the last 3 years and now we all work from a playbook. Very little empowerment and much second-guessing.

20% pay-cut happened this year which is still good money but I am in prime earning years because of vesting options each March.
I'm in it for the money now for 2-3 more years. Instead of OMY - My mantra is One More March.

I'm 51 and I am taking notice more often of people I know and people in the news kicking the bucket in their 60s & 70s. There are just too many things I want to do in life with DW. Time to get on with it.
TexasRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I had a j*b I loved, but had to quit to care for my sick unicorn...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
A funny thing happened when I became FI at 51. I relaxed and decided I would not let the office or Corp. politics interfere with my j*b or my enjoyment of it.
Exactly this. I was an internally stressed puppy for nearly my entire career, with a SAHM and a basketball team of kids. I was saving everything I could given sizable cash flow demands but always in the back (or front) of my mind was "You need this job. There are a lot of people depending on you." Two years ago, with the youngest two in college and the three oldest launched, I reviewed the balance sheet and realized that we were FI. The stress I had felt constantly for 30 years literally melted away in a matter of seconds, and I have been smiling ever since. DW and I are now planning an orderly exit in a year or so (the dreaded OMY), simplifying our environment, preparing the house to sell, developing new hobbies to do together (and apart) and considering volunteer opportunities. My BS bucket is the lowest it has been in DECADES, because I know I don't HAVE to work.
frankbrenowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #57

Great stories everyone, thanks for sharing.

I can relate to the stress and office politics stuff. When I quit working full time, I searched for an opportunity that allowed me to work around my schedule. In the four years that I've been doing this, I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff in the company that might have bothered me when I was younger. Now I just ignore all of it, or laugh about it. I could care less who is trying to stab who in the back, who is trying to take over the company, who doesn't like me, etc. I just do my thing and ignore everything else.

I also believe that I was able to negotiate a work schedule that works for me because I didn't need the job, and wasn't afraid to ask for something that I would not have asked for if the money was important to me. Work really does become more enjoyable when you don't need the money and know you can leave at any time.

I've certainly tested this theory by pushing back quite a few times when I didn't feel like doing something, wondering if they might decide that it's not working out. But so far, things just keep rolling along, and nobody seems to care. And if someday that changes...who cares!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Another one guilty as charged, but probably will just bag it within the next year or so. I'm down to just 3 days a week now anyway (Tue-Thu 8 hours/day that's it). Pretty much everything about the job is enjoyable other than the commute (which is not bad by Wash DC standards). Spouse is also working part time but also thinking of quitting somewhat soon, so that may be the final factor.

Larry
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #59
Confused about dryer sheets

I fully retired last year. Don't think about w*rk anymore and don't really miss it. But, ER has been on my mind since childhood. I'm 60 and DW is 57. DW was eligible to retire this past Feb but enjoys what she does and especially talking on the phone with her colleagues "about" work. She is not sure when she will retire so I don't bug her about it anymore. Just asked her to give me some advanced notice when she feels like she is ready to retire.
swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I will be retiring very soon, but won't possibly have time for more work. After all, my dog's toenails need trimming at least every two weeks! That leaves not nearly enough time to go back to work!
steadystate is offline   Reply With Quote