Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe,,,but it's going to take more than one day to convince me of that. Although I did make a point of going out back to thank him before I headed for the prison. I think I shocked him.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Running a little farm or ranch, or heck, just cutting the lawn -- you'll never get away from some sort of obligations as long as you're alive. Even if you're sitting in a wheelchair you've got to sip out of your sippy cup and make sure somebody's paying the bills.

I think getting to that blissful state of freedom is more about state of mind than it is about truly dodging each and every obligation that might crop up. So as long as you're going to have obligations, chores or challenges, might as well make them interesting ones, imho.

It may never be a J*B, heck even I get the willies when the J-word comes up, but the concept of 'work' in ER never bothered me, I guess because I define it so broadly. It's what we do as part of a life intertwined with our fellow human or animal beings, and sometimes we figure out a way to get a little money for it.
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

There are lots of people out there who leverage their life and business experience in their retirement. They find ways to have fun and earn extra dough writing books, doing consulting, and marketing their skills and experience. I found that the internet empowers you to get in front of a whole big world of people out there who are interested in what I did during my career!

RetireDon
Old 09-26-2007, 06:04 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
Running a little farm or ranch, or heck, just cutting the lawn -- you'll never get away from some sort of obligations as long as you're alive. Even if you're sitting in a wheelchair you've got to sip out of your sippy cup and make sure somebody's paying the bills.

I think getting to that blissful state of freedom is more about state of mind than it is about truly dodging each and every obligation that might crop up. So as long as you're going to have obligations, chores or challenges, might as well make them interesting ones, imho.

It may never be a J*B, heck even I get the willies when the J-word comes up, but the concept of 'work' in ER never bothered me, I guess because I define it so broadly. It's what we do as part of a life intertwined with our fellow human or animal beings, and sometimes we figure out a way to get a little money for it.
Couldn't agree more. BTW I thought your chapter on "Do Anything You Want, But do Something" was spot on. I look forward to trying out several different money making hobbies and see which one sticks, though in my case they all involve self employment. The money making aspect is really part of the fun for me.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
BTW I thought your chapter on "Do Anything You Want, But do Something" was spot on.
ESRBob and TargaDave what book/e-book are we talking about here? I think I'd like to read that chapter too.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think what I have found is retirement does not mean we are worthless and can't contribute to society anymore. We can still have hobbies and make money.
Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnckpa View Post
ESRBob and TargaDave what book/e-book are we talking about here? I think I'd like to read that chapter too.
ESRBob ==> Bob Clyatt, author of "Work Less, Live More: The New Way to Retire Early"

Do a quick Google search and you will see it on Amazon and elsewhere. I really enjoyed the whole book. Bob is a great person to have on this board.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
According to Webster's....
Old 10-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #48

According to Webster's....

Retirement means "withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life"

That dosen't mean that you don't do anything. You do get to persue what you think is important. It may be a hobby, it may be starting a business, it may even be working for your old employeer (at reduced hours).

For me, I spent "too many years" worring about the future to persue any "hobbies" (yes, I drove street bikes in my "earlier age", but that was not a hobby).

Since I retired in May, I looked for something that would "make a difference" - e.g. not to me, but to society. We (DW/me) have been "blessed" to be able to retire early and become financially independent (no, not rich - you know what I mean).

I did a couple of things trying to search for something that matched my interest to make that difference. I became "certified" by our local credit counseling agency to give classes in personal finance (e.g. budgeting) along with understanding what a credit report and how it gets used. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of "need" to teach folks to "manage their money" (duh ).

I've given blood at the local blood bank every 8 weeks. Something I wanted to do while working, but the time constraints always interferred.

I also started as a driver for the local "meals-on-wheels" group, which delivers meals to the aged and shut-in's. It's a real eye-opener to see how folks really are affected in their old-age, along with the challanges that we all may face in the future. I enjoyed it so much that I signed up for an additional route, which has me voluntering two days a week. Only a few hours out of my "busy schedule", but it's a constant reminder of the "good life" that I have.

As far as persuing a "traditional retirement hobby" (like golf) I don't think so. Additionally, since we will never have any grandkids (our son is disabled) what would be a "normal family retirement situation", we will continue to try to find some more "opportunites to make a difference".

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

No
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 AM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've incorporated (for liability protection) and am doing a little IT consulting, however I can't make too much money or it will start to burn me. Until you are 65 social security benefits decrease by $1 for every $2 you make over a certain amount. That's a 50% tax on your income! Add in the 15% self employment tax and 7% state income tax and a 25% marginal fed income tax and you're left with a whopping 3% take home. So for a job that pays me $100, I get $3.

No thanks.

Jim.
GladToBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
You can make a hobby that you enjoy into a part-time job. ...
That works for some folks. I made my long time hobby into a part time job for several years and earned pocket money.

However, the part time job eventually ruined what had been an enjoyable hobby due to the deadlines, constraints, responsibilities, etc.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by template View Post
However, the part time job eventually ruined what had been an enjoyable hobby due to the deadlines, constraints, responsibilities, etc.
That is exactly why I stopped doing woodworking for pay. I have since rediscovered the joy of my workshop, since I only work for my wife now.