Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Doing Nothing in ER
Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
A good example of a great transition is Professor Emeritus - simply a shift from sphere 3 to sphere 4. No more pay except for the pension but still listed in the faculty and with ongoing privileges.
That's me, except I don't get a pension (TIAA-CREF). I tell people the only job better than being a professor is being a retired professor. Still using the weight room and Library. I can still referee papers, engage in research and go to talks and seminars.
John Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tuttle
That's me, except I don't get a pension (TIAA-CREF). I tell people the only job better than being a professor is being a retired professor. Still using the weight room and Library. I can still referee papers, engage in research and go to talks and seminars.
So what is your field? Twenty two posts is too low for an academic. We will start calling on you when relevant topics come up - how is that for a turn-about?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
So what is your field? Twenty two posts is too low for an academic. We will start calling on you when relevant topics come up - how is that for a turn-about?
Mathematician.

I've been reading the board for a long time. Mathmaticians as a group tend to be terse. If this had been a department email you would have gotten a one word reply. I have lots of opinions and I enjoy a good argument, just not over the Internet.
John Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
did somebody mention doing nothing? because i'm very good at that. i can sit for hours in an empty, whitewashed room with no windows and be thoroughly entertained. i'm not sure if maybe the meaning of the word has changed but i constantly hear people tell me how bored they are. i don't believe i've ever known a moment's boredom in my life.

www.idler.co.uk/forum
I too can do nothing for hours; a habit acquired in my youth.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
There are four spheres of involvement in which we all engage:
Family
Community
Work
Profession
I don't engage in any (except for online).
Old 01-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

yep.

Thanks LGFNB, for confirming what I knew was possible:
Quote:
i don't believe i've ever known a moment's boredom in my life.
I "do" far less than many people. But I never seem to be 'bored' the way others are 'bored' in the same circumstances. For better or worse, I have the aptitude to be carried away by the writing on a cereal box, if that's all that's on offer.

I'm always the one asking "why?","what does that mean?" to the irritation of all concerned. How can they NOT care? How can they NOT want to know? My DH gets frustrated at times, I can tell.

I second Khan in that there are pretty limited aspects of Family/Community/Work/Profession that I adhere to.. these aspects form probably a lesser part of my existance than they do for others. Work and Profession I have left behind me; Family is for the most part overseas, yet of course I devote what time and energy I can; Community would be an adopted aggregation of people in the midst of which I am only very slowly learning to 'speak' the (unspoken, true) language and make contacts.

Since just doing a load of laundry here can occupy 1/2 the day, I remain doing "nothing", but I'm not 'unhappy' (just slightly frustrated). 
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i don't believe i've ever known a moment's boredom in my life.
My 8th grade history teacher was one of those Reader's Digest characters you never forget. She used to kick the trash can across the room to get attention. One of her indelible pronouncements when an unfortunate classmate said something was boring was to bellow out, "the ahhdeeuhh of being baawwd in the 20th century." I have been afraid to get bored ever since -- works for ER.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood
When I tell people that I ER'ed, a fair number of them say something like, "Man, I could never be happy doing nothing.".

This always stumps me. I generally give people the benefit of the doubt as to their intelligence. When they say such a dumb thing, I have to re-consider where to put them.

Maybe there are people who really wouldn't do anything, but I have a hard time conceiving it. There is so much interesting stuff to do! Especially when you are young and healthy enough to get around.
Yes, I find this to be an incredible lack of imagination. I can only assume the questioner has no idea of what they would do with more leisure time, and I think in a lot of cases this is true! Unfortunately work can sap so much of one's spirit, that a person spends the tiny amount of personal time available in maintenance activities and just collapsing from sheer exhaustion. Many people give up their personal interests after a many decades and forget what it's like to really have free time.

Of course with our "constant traveler" lifestyle of being a fulltime RVer, no one assumes that we spend our days "doing nothing". It's pretty obvious that this is a busy, adventurous lifestyle, and one very difficult to enjoy unless you have a lot of time and few constraints (i.e. are retired).

So, we don't get that question any more!

Audrey