Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Domestic Adjustments after ER
Old 09-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I recall visiting some friends in Maine during snow season.* The wife had to go to work, and to do so, she needed the driveway shoveled.* The husband offered her the use of his gloves.* They're divorced now.
Gotta admit that this guy pressed his luck.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Gotta admit that this guy pressed his luck.
Yeah, I wouldn't loan out my gloves to just anybody, either, but he probably got to keep them after the divorce...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It is not clear to me why one might consider that he had improved his lot in life by moving from designer of circuits, avenger of torts, or healer of wounds to being some woman's cabin-boy.
You have a great point. If you don't like to do housework and cook then you just may be trading one job for another. To go from being a MegaCorp whipping boy to cabin boy isn't an improvement.

Somewhere along the line there has to be a payoff. Somewhere along the line it would be great to stop serving one or another master(s) and start serving yourself.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Ah, but you are serving yourself when the spouse thinks you walk on water.

The tasks described are those that must be done by someone and if she is free to pay attention to the at the end of the day...

Why is it that when a working woman does those tasks it is 'expected', but when a retired husband does them he is a 'cabin boy'?

Give me a break!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Why is it that when a working woman does those tasks it is 'expected', but when a retired husband does them he is a 'cabin boy'?

Give me a break!!!
Well, I don't know many well off men who could expect to get the kind of service we are talking about here. It may happen, but it seems that many women feel that they have better or more important or more intellectually challenging tasks to attend to.

Like Italian lessons, or modern dance, or spa treatments.

I guess it all depends on what you have seen.

I wonder if there are retired women* with working husbands who are on the board? If so, it would interesting if they would weigh in.

Ha
Old 09-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wonder if there are retired women* with working husbands who are on the board? If so, it would interesting if they would weigh in.
Spouse left active duty for the Reserves 15 months before I retired.

The day after she "came home", the state's school teachers went out on strike for three weeks. I took a few days of leave, we neighbors formed a hui to homeschool the kids, and spouse & I fell into what seems a lot like 1950s Ozzie & Harriett roles.

After the teachers & kids went back to school she spent most of the next three months recovering & decompressing. A lot of TV was caught up on, a lot of books were read, a lot of naps were taken, and she started a couple home-improvement projects. She kept up with her chores but we didn't renegoiate. She listened politely to my sea stories and she didn't torment me too much about "what she did all day". We kept the housecleaner and the rest of the domestic routine so she didn't pick up any extra responsibilities that she didn't already have.

After six months she had opportunities to get more active in the Reserves and she started working a couple weeks a month.

There weren't any upheavals during that period, and she didn't adapt her routine to support me any more than I changed mine to support her. There were no cabin boys or pool girls. Our marriage has always been more about teamwork, and the load stayed pretty equally balanced.

Same thing today. If she's on travel or working PACOM shifts then I might pick up an extra chore or fix a few extra meals, but otherwise the load stays pretty even. When she's back home then I know I'll be able to catch up on my surfing!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 09-08-2006, 05:03 AM   #27

I'm retired, and DH is still working--not year 'round though, and not long days. He still does his share of domestic tasks, but that is largely due to our relative talents, skills, personalities, energy, back health, and family traditions. In most things I'm the planner, and he's the implementer. So I do the investing and learning about personal finances--he pays the bills. I decide what needs to be dry cleaned and gather it up--he drops it off on his way to school. I decide where our next trip will be and what we'll do there (trust me, he ain't interested in figuring this out!)--and he'll go online and get the plane tickets.

I would probably have an anxiety attack if I had to make a chart of the aisles of a grocery store I do make grocery lists--but only for him. I hate looking at a list when I go shopping. When I shop, I visualize making the food, so I don't usually forget anything.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Astro, who does the day to day household chores? Do you do the cooking? Cleaning?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #29

Why does doing a fair share of keeping the household running translate to "serving the wife?"

I thought most of us got past that tedious stereotype 40 years ago.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Maybe the stereotype is declining, but guys have managed to get away with not picking up their share of the load.

I think it's a bluff over the gross-out factor. Our daughter can go far longer without cleaning her bathroom than either of us parents could possibly endure.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Why does doing a fair share of keeping the household running translate to "serving the wife?" *

Just re-read, including the posts from women. For the most part, we are not talking about fair share of anything, unless you have the viewpoint that all household maintenance, car repair, cooking and cleaning, errand running, etc., etc., should be done by the (male) homebody. Been pretty hard for working men to get that kind of service from their stay a home wives for about 35 years now.

How about the guy who didn’t want to get up early with his wife, so she divorced him? Hello?? I know construction workers who get up very early, alone, and are not talking about divorce.

Sorry to be non- PC. But rock smashes scissors, and accuracy trumps politics.

Ha

Old 09-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Sheesh, didn't know I would rile up so many folks. Just looking for insight into easing into the transition; the earlier replies were on the mark.

As it is, we already have a pretty equitable arrangement: I do my own laundry, she doesn't WANT me to do hers (wonder why?), we both do cleaning 'tho she does more, cooking & dishes & marketing about equal, I do most of the financial stuff (keep her informed) & outside stuff. We each have things we do & don't mind doing that are ok with the other. All in all a good deal, & while I will no doubt pick up a greater share after RE, we have an agreement that I'll only obligated to do one useful thing a day re: domestic stuff (in addition to the dishes!). And special projects we're planning, like an addition, etc.

So it won't be the "cabin boy" thing, but lookin' out for the breadwinner & maintaining domestic tranquility.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobot
Sheesh, didn't know I would rile up so many folks. Just looking for insight into easing into the transition; the earlier replies were on the mark.

As it is, we already have a pretty equitable arrangement: I do my own laundry, she doesn't WANT me to do hers (wonder why?), we both do cleaning* 'tho she does more, cooking & dishes & marketing about equal, I do most of the financial stuff (keep her informed) & outside stuff. We each have things we do & don't mind doing that are ok with the other. All in all a good deal, & while I will no doubt pick up a greater share after RE,* we have an agreement that I'll only obligated to do one useful thing a day re: domestic stuff (in addition to the dishes!). And special projects we're planning, like an addition, etc.

So it won't be the "cabin boy" thing, but lookin' out for the breadwinner & maintaining domestic tranquility.
Bobot, I think that if you have a healthy marriage and are willing to communicate and work together during the transition, it is unlikely to be a problem.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Bobot, I think that if you have a healthy marriage and are willing to communicate and work together during the transition, it is unlikely to be a problem.
I think my Cabin Boy quip was an example of fast mouth, less fast brain.

Apologies to anyone who was offended rather than entertained by it.

Ha
Old 09-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brat
Quote:
A contented household yields many dividends. A home with discontent is expensive.
Nords
Quote:
Our marriage has always been more about teamwork, and the load stayed pretty equally balanced.
I heartily agree with both of these comments... Billy and I have always had the 'duties' we shared and the areas where each of us excell. I could not look at anything electrical and expect to know what I am doing. Same thing with plumbing. However, I will be the first to go on the roof to slather that next protective coating and (call me weird) but I love doing laundry.

I do data entry and Billy does analysis. I love food shopping, and B does an excellent job of Chef-ing. I make sure the house has supplies, he makes sure it runs...

Full-on partnership.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Old 09-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #36

Don't worry, Ha--I was entertained--and so was DH

We've always split domestic duties in a rather communistic fashion: to each according to his need, from each according to his ability When my health declined, I did less. I do most of the daily things, but he still does a lot, such as most of the grocery shopping (none of the meal planning though, so I need to tell him what to get) and the heavier cleaning tasks. I usually do the laundry, but he does the bedding--hard for me to strip the bed or remake it. He always makes breakfast- and sometimes makes lunch or dinner, or part of it, such as the salad dressing. He takes care of most of the dirty dishes & pots--he's better at it. But I'm better at cleaning the counters, appliances, and floor.

In general, I figure out what needs to be done, and if I can't do it or hate doing it or he loves it, he does it. He loves tinkering, adores plumbing and electrical problems, never needs reminding to change the clocks or gas up the cars. He's calmer in a crisis, better at dealing with strangers, and less distressed by detail-oriented things like paying bills. I prefer to putter, shine, analyze, research, imagine the possibilities, and dither plan, he likes to solve problems and get his hands dirty. But to be honest, neither of us is detail-oriented enough to run a household, and we could use a wife : :P
Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
He loves tinkering, adores plumbing and electrical problems, he likes to solve problems and get his hands dirty.
Hee hee.......* This reminded me of a little misunderstanding DW and I had 30+ years ago.* Until recently, I always maintained our cars to the extent of my equipment and capabilities.* I didn't really like it but it was one way to save a few bux while we were in the accumulation phase.*

I was out in our carport one winter day putting a new muffler on our 1970 VW Beetle, which isn't an easy car to put a new muffler on!* It was cold.* I was stiff and aching from laying on the cold cement.* I had smashed my knuckles several times when the breaker bar slippped off frozen nuts/bolts and blood was flowing freely.* In short, I was miserable!* I decided to go inside for a cup of hot coffee and warm up a little.* And there was DW, busy ironing while watching TV.* And she said........get this........."Damn!* You're still out there tinkering with your hobby while I'm busting my butt here in the house!"

I'm a calm, introverted, quiet fellow.* I didn't say a thing.* But I did note that if I'm doing it, it's a hobby, if she's doing it, it's a chore!* *

We've been married 36 years, have great kids and grandkids, are happily FIRE'd and I've never regretted the day I kept my mouth shut, went back out and finished the muffler install.* Dozens Hundreds Thousands of subsequent family events since that day have aggregated into a great life despite a few minor "misunderstandings."

Bobot, you and DW will do just fine.*

Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

Bobot, you and DW will do just fine.
I think so too. Thanks to all.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
But I did note that if I'm doing it, it's a hobby, if she's doing it, it's a chore!
My wife occasionally has this misaprehension when I am forced to take my son kayaking, backpacking or to the gun range. Despite the effort, I am willing to do these things so my son can become a man in the world. Unfortuntely, she seems to not understand tha sacrafice I make to do these difficult task.
bbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuzzard
My wife occasionally has this misaprehension when I am forced to take my son kayaking, backpacking or to the gun range. Despite the effort, I am willing to do these things so my son can become a man in the world. Unfortuntely, she seems to not understand tha sacrafice I make to do these difficult task.
My daughter has the same problem with surfing, tae kwon do, camping, and paintball...