Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
A friend of my wife is a little bit of a feminist...I once challenged her to name just one TV show where the woman was portrayed as dumb while her male partner was portrayed as strong and intelligent and she was unable to name even a single show. I then said to her, "now imagine if it was the other way around."
The Good Place, and it’s definitely “current” https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The Good Place, and it’s definitely “current” https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place
Never heard of it, but if so, that's just one out of how many?

The exception proves the rule...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #63
Administrator

Quote:
Never heard of it, but if so, that's just one out of how many?

The exception proves the rule...
You only asked for one, and you got it.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You only asked for one, and you got it.
Fair enough
Old 11-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid, I asked my Mother why all the TV shows portrayed the children as being smarter than the adults, and the moms were always smarter than the dads. She said that it was to make people laugh.

Quote:
A friend of my wife is a little bit of a feminist...I once challenged her to name just one TV show where the woman was portrayed as dumb while her male partner was portrayed as strong and intelligent and she was unable to name even a single show. I then said to her, "now imagine if it was the other way around."
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:24 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just want to add that I think it’s fine if people choose to be on committees and boards during retirement, regardless of gender.
I also think it’s fine if a person just chooses to hang out and just do what they want, regardless of gender.
So, I don’t find it funny to show one way or the other as being the preferred way.
I don’t rain on people’s travel plans even though I’m not that keen on traveling. Especially not if it involves camping!
Irishgirlyc58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak2018 View Post
I think there is a little more to this.

The first woman is working on a Masters, and the second is active in the ACLU, Meals on Wheels, and a book club. While all of this has a social component (what doesn't?) there is a deliberate portrayal of the women as being involved in "larger matters" than then men. The men are unable to articulate on even the most basic level how they are spending their days - I infer from that that the men are absorbed in leisure activities while the women are becoming or regaining their sense of being involved in the greater society.
I'm with this thesis, and also what Chuckanut says. Both seem to apply IMO to what Trudeau is suggesting. But I also don't agree wholeheartedly with the premise. Maybe back in the day it was more true, but don't think it is so much anymore. As a kid we had family friends where the engineer husband retired after a career with Chevron. He seemed at a loss after that, and died of a heart attack a few years later. His widow meanwhile was active in all sorts of things, including teaching yoga, went on to remarry an old flame and lived to about 90. But that was 35 years ago. Times change.

Garry Trudeau is married to Jane Pauley, who wrote a book on "reimagining the rest of your life" aimed at retiree-age people. Maybe the cartoon idea sprung from a conversation they had, who knows.
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Right there with you
Old 11-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Right there with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have no issue with the cartoon as I was more than happy to fade into insignificance in retirement - and leave stress behind.

Yeah, me too... I am not one to be easily offended anyway. I'm sooo happy to have retired before the covid mess.

The men in this cartoon are saying there are not enough hours in the day... because they are enjoying life and that speeds up the perception of time passing.
JohnRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #69

In defense of Music Lover, more often than not, in the end, Gracie and Lucy got the last laugh. AND it was 50-70 years ago!
Old 11-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRM View Post
Yeah, me too... I am not one to be easily offended anyway. I'm sooo happy to have retired before the covid mess.

The men in this cartoon are saying there are not enough hours in the day... because they are enjoying life and that speeds up the perception of time passing.

It doesn’t offend me but that doesn’t mean it isn’t incredibly sexist.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My feelings exactly ...
+1 I was in IT for 30 some years and I have opened my laptop maybe 10 times in the last 5 years.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #72
Dryer sheet wannabe

You asked, so: It's another one of those not so subtle jabs at old men. His inspiration? His desire to be relevant again.
CHBinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The men are dumpy and sloppy, while the women look like they are competing (there's that word again) for Mrs. Thin and Fashionable Seventy-something.
Also, doesn't Trudeau realize not all retired men are white? It's an outrage, he needs to be cancelled!
Old 11-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #74

I personally always preferred Dilbert.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

stopped being relevant decades ago, had to search to confirm proof of life. xkcd is where proper satire and humor migrated, though by now it might have moved on to babylon bee.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
I personally always preferred Dilbert.
Dilbert was one of the best. If Doonesbury ever made a funny cartoon it was probably accidental....but that's just my opinion.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Do you know why men die before their spouses ?

Mammal study explains 'why females live longer'
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #78

Quote:
Dilbert was one of the best. If Doonesbury ever made a funny cartoon it was probably accidental....but that's just my opinion.

Agreed!
I never found doonesbury funny.
But Dilbert often made me lol for real.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Back at Megacorp, there was a Doonesbury fan who I had to interact with quite often. He prominently displayed every Doonesbury cartoon at his desk. Of all the cartoons I saw, I laughed at exactly one. I disagreed with the (apparent) point of it, but it was funny to me. BUT, just the one. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I can identify wit that cartoon. Here at CCRC I have to control what I enroll in just to make sure I have no conflicts with previously committed activities. Life IS good!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote