Downside of retirement

Yes. Now that I am retired, I no longer have weekends. Or long weekends. Or holidays. Or vacations.

I do not get that great Friday afternoon feeling that the weekend is here. Or the excitement of leaving the office early to start a vacation. Or the thrill of Monday morning, ready to get back to the grind.

I often forget what day it is. It seems like it's always Saturday. My projects take longer, as I start them later and stop working on them sooner. I do not put in as many hours as I can, just as many hours as I want.

I hope the workers here count their blessings.
Yes that really captures the essence of it. DW and I keep a calendar close by to log appointments so as to avoid conflicts for the car or lunch and also to check what day it is. We try to avoid shopping on the weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday are favs for doing things to avoid workers. Certain days there are bargains to entice seniors.

I have been masquerading as a senior for 14 years now. Some places even ask for ID. I always thank them. But never show it. Here we are as a ROMEO group and I am holding the dog so the lady could take our picture:

Attachments

• IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3498.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 70
I'm a long time reader of Darrow Kirkpatrick. In fact finding his blog three years ago was my first exposure to the idea of FIRE. His advice is always unvarnished, common sense and practical. I'm a little perplexed by all of the criticism of his post. ("Hey get a load of this guy! He says early retirement doesn't solve every problem. What an idiot!")

His post is simply saying that early retirement is not nirvana. Life still goes on. You get older, your friends and family get older. If you were prone to worry before ER, you will still worry once you ER. More importantly, if you ER without some goal or purpose, whatever that is, you will likely have an adjustment period. If you were not happy before ER, you may not be happy after.

I applaud his honesty. I've had a history of depression in my past and I wonder sometimes whether ER will make it less or more likely that I have depressed thoughts.

Kudos to all of you have found your happy hunting ground in retirement and for whom those concerns are irrelevant.

Moderators, feel free to take down my post, but the name of the thread is "Downside of Early Retirement." So, if you don't think there is any downside to early retirement or you think people who have trouble adjusting are flawed, stupid or otherwise worthy of snarky comments, maybe you should chat about that in another thread -- "Early retirement solves every problem and we don't want to hear any other opinion about it."

I'm a long time reader of Darrow Kirkpatrick. In fact finding his blog three years ago was my first exposure to the idea of FIRE. His advice is always unvarnished, common sense and practical. I'm a little perplexed by all of the criticism of his post. ("Hey get a load of this guy! He says early retirement doesn't solve every problem. What an idiot!")

His post is simply saying that early retirement is not nirvana. Life still goes on. You get older, your friends and family get older. If you were prone to worry before ER, you will still worry once you ER. More importantly, if you ER without some goal or purpose, whatever that is, you will likely have an adjustment period. If you were not happy before ER, you may not be happy after.

I applaud his honesty. I've had a history of depression in my past and I wonder sometimes whether ER will make it less or more likely that I have depressed thoughts.

Kudos to all of you have found your happy hunting ground in retirement and for whom those concerns are irrelevant.

Moderators, feel free to take down my post, but the name of the thread is "Downside of Early Retirement." So, if you don't think there is any downside to early retirement or you think people who have trouble adjusting are flawed, stupid or otherwise worthy of snarky comments, maybe you should chat about that in another thread -- "Early retirement solves every problem and we don't want to hear any other opinion about it."

Me thinks that you are misinterpreting/misunderstanding the intent of a majority of the reponses in this thread. Nobody is ridiculing the OP - he/she certainly has valid points. We are just trying to relate our own experiences and ideas on how we see ER. Seems that is a perfectly legitimate way to contribute to this thread. Just because the title is "downsides...." doesn't seem to imply only doom and gloom posts are allowed?

For what it's worth, I see no reason why the moderators would want to remove your post either

Last edited:

I like your post. :greetings10:

I worry about this sometimes and I am only semi-ER. Life is currently a bed of roses that is sometimes covered in to much manure. I'm hoping that being able to spend more time on the things that matter will help the roses grow and the manure pile to shrink once I fully ER.

But, I have lots of time for hearing the truth from people who are brave enough to stand up and say, No, it didn't work out that way for me for whatever reason.

For some, the manure will drown out the roses. Whether though their own actions or no fault of their own.

C'est la vie.

la vie.

I read the article and I get the sense the author didn't have enough money to retire to the lifestyle he really wants - using words like capped, simplified, accepted, reduced, trap and only being able to splurge if "the market" does well.

According to the Consumer Expenditure Survey, interest, dividends and rental income combined mean is only $3,523 for households over 65 with mean household income of $46,626. From those stats and others like it, it doesn't seem like the market going up or down is going to be a game changer for most 65+ households.

Last edited:
Could be. Maybe he retired too early?

I suspect you'll find it doesn't change your overall outlook, unless work stress or other work factors specifically cause your depression, in which case it should improve. But if finances cause it, it will probably be worse as you've taken the jump.

As the old saying goes, money can't buy happiness. I find it can remove a lot of stress, which helps my outlook on life. But I don't think money or retirement can really change who you are. I don't think we're saying anything too different, but I would say that people who are already enjoying life at least have the potential to enjoy it even more in retirement.

As daylate says, the author may be having some money issues, because that seems to be a lot of the message. It's a no-brainer that if you retire on the edge you'll worry about money, and if you have to return to even part-time work you've kind of defeated ER unless you really had to escape your current job. I don't know if downsizing was in his original plan or not but if that's going to be such a traumatic event (and I agree with Terry that it's a good life if that's your biggest trauma), maybe he shouldn't have ER'd.

The other message seems to be having meaning in your life. If your job gives you meaning, maybe you should keep it if you don't have another plan. But I didn't base my identity on what I did for work. I'm not doing anything too big but even with the small amount of volunteer work I'm doing I feel like a more productive part of society now. I should disclose that most of the creativity and even productivity had been sucked out of my job the last couple of years, and I was just doing busy work while waiting for a few fires (customer situations) to put out. I could've asked for (and I'm sure I would've gotten) a new assignment, but I wasn't up for learning another technology anymore.

The author also talks about not being in as good of shape to enjoy life, and also being out of excuses for not getting in shape or doing other things. That's a bit mind-boggling. One should have control in your life for things like that whether working or not. Staying at work to retain an excuse for not taking better care of yourself is an awful reason to not retire. Truly awful.

I ER'd 5+ years ago, and I quite honestly can't think of a moment where I've regretted it or had any second thoughts. Best I can muster is thinking, it probably wouldn't be TOO terrible if I still had to work, and I rarely even think that.

Not saying that this applies to most folks here, but there's been another recent thread where someone with 10s of millions net worth in his 40s and had been retired for 2 years and was a bit unhappy/depressed.

Darrow Kirkpatrick's blog post addresses some issues and concerns that some folks have with regard to retirement.

The Downside of Retirement - Can I Retire Yet?

omni
For me - No Downside Whatsoever. Best Decision I ever made. Period.

In 35 years, I may have had 100 days total that were less than 10 hours/shift. I worked a) steady shifts, b) rotating shifts every 7 days, c) 14 days, d) 28 days e) weekend warrior one-12 hr, 2-14 hour shifts. My schedule was 22 out of 28 days, the 6 days off at employee/employer agreement. A weeks vacation was 5 days and 2 of your regular days off. My lunch time was always on the run; except on training days.

I have put my hours in; I don't ever plan to w@&k again for someone else. There is no downside to my retirement or DW's. The aroma of hot coffee in the morning, the sizzling of homemade bacon, picking of veggies in the garden, smoking homemade hams, brisket, ribs, sipping a glass of wine each night on the deck, the giggle of the grand kids, traveling the country side, helping the no so fortunate, and great health of the ones around us including ourselves. Yes, there is no down side, and I thank God every day for his blessings.

I've been retired almost exactly 3.5 years and I keep getting busier and busier. I can not think of one moment where I regretted retiring or was bored.

My current schedule is:

Winter: travel
Spring: hiking
Summer: backpacking
Fall: Mushroom hunting

Then mix in hosting parties, movies, yoga, walking, bike riding, snow shoeing, dining out, reading, helping friends and family and household chores.

Life just keeps getting better.

I can't imagine not knowing what I want out of life. When I joined the forum, my username was Want2Retire, and gosh, did I ever.

It seems to me, that articles like this are written with the objective of creating doubt and insecurity in people like me. Fear of the unknown, you know.

But there's one catch: there is no facet of retirement that I can think of, that is truly unknown to working people. Not having to go to work, and having to figure out what to do with your time? Well, working people don't have to go to work on holidays or vacation days, so they know how that will feel and know how to figure out what to do during their time off. Being able to sleep late? Ditto. Going to the gym when it's not busy? Ditto. Budgeting and living within one's means? Working people do that too.

Oh but wait - - Not being forced to interact with people you don't much care for? Well, you got me there. That's something working people must adjust to when they retire. Somehow, I managed to survive the experience of interacting with people I actually, truly enjoy being around, instead of interacting with various back stabbers, empire builders, sociopaths, and other people that one sometimes encounters at work despite one's best efforts.

If someone can't adjust to retirement, it makes me wonder if they ever had a realistic understanding of themselves and what they really want out of life. Letting other people define you can be quite a problem, whether you are working or retired.

Let's put aside the issue of having or not having enough money, because if one worries about money, that's a totally different issue.

If there is something that makes you unhappy prior to retirement, it certainly does not go away when you stop working. Instead, being free of work may give one more time to mull over whatever issue that has been making him unhappy, and that aggravates it.

On the other hand, most people cite work pressure as the reason that makes them unhappy. So, naturally, stopping work, and still having enough money to live on of course, takes away that source of grief, and they live better than ever.

About feeling emptiness and all that, I guess it possibly happens more with young retirees. Most people do not retire that early, and when we reach the mid or late 50s, we are all tired and have seen enough. Not much emptiness there when we finally leave work behind. We have had our fill.

Last edited:
Retirement has made me realize the ride is coming to an end, and that doesn't create happiness as I realize every wasted day is gone forever and 1 more step toward the final destination. A real annoyance is there are some things out of my control that will waste away various amounts of days.

I do appreciate NOT shopping on weekends, renting redbox movies during the week, eating lunch at the restaurant at 1:30 (no crowd), and probably most satisfying is realizing that "I made it" and all those worries when younger are gone.

So far so good for me (retired almost a year ago at 53). The only thing I had to make a significant adjustment was getting along with DW. Being together 24 x 7 required a different approach to get along. I solved that by replacing my work hours with two hobbies (stock trading/watching, and golf).

Once we get past the basics of food, housing and beer, each of us has our own list of things that matter and different priorities.

Sure, for some people retiring is not a good thing even if they can afford it. If working makes them happy, keeps them connected and gives them a sense of purpose all power to them. If retirement means isolation and physical and mental sloth, then I agree that there is downside.

If other things are more meaningful/enjoyable and the finances, stars and spouses are in agreement, it's time to FIRE and go do them while you can because we're going to get old (or worse) whether we work or don't work and, for my part at least, there are a lot of things I want to do before my physical and mental capabilities deteriorate to the point where I can't do them anymore. I don't for one second believe that continuing to work is going to stop or even delay any of that from happening.

For me the article was about making sure you have a plan for retirement and have the discipline to execute it.

I never thought I would want to retire/semi-retire early, but circumstances with the economy forced the issue a little. Now I am glad we did it.

Not bored. Not unhappy. Not in the least.

Have had days with a few hours "left over", but have found it a good time to read a novel.

Nearly ten years out of the daily grind, realize that w*rk defeinitely and rudely interfered with enjoying life and hobbies. I have yet to find a downside to retirement, with the exception that I know it will end, and not ny going back to w*rk.

For me there haven't been any big downsides yet (1.5 years in). My wife stopped working a decade ago and found that she missed the the positive reinforcement of doing a job well - compliments, raises, bonuses, etc. For me that stuff was nice but not something that feels like a loss but then she is a lot more social/extroverted than I am so maybe that is a difference.

The only downside of retirement for me is the increased chance of injury or accident. I was rarely in danger sitting at my desk at work. But hobbies and travel introduce situations where I could easily hurt myself.

But, once you’re fully settled in, retirement can be a scary proposition. Fact is, you’ve closed out a major chapter of your life. And the next one is entirely up to you. Nobody else can take on that responsibility. Meanwhile, the final chapter, just over the hill, doesn’t look like much fun….

I think this is the heart of the article's subject, he doesn't like what he sees "over the hill". I am not sure how old he is, but I would *guess* that there might be some "mid-life crisis" working here. Statistically speaking, I am around the 1/2 way point of my life and while I do think about my mortality, I also know there isn't too much I can do about it and worrying about sure doesn't do any good.

For me, retirement has been all I thought it would be and even more. There is one thing that is a little scary though...and that is how FAST time seems to go by. Before, life went by pretty quick...but now...there is NO slowing it down. I am not sure why this is, exactly. Sometimes I wonder if time would not move so fast if I was still w*rking and that is somewhat of conundrum. I *do* know that if this was also the case when I was 60+ years old, then I am glad I retired when I did.

It would move at exactly the same speed, but it would seem to go much, much slower. Especially on your commute to work each day... :)

Yeah, so I think I will stick with the "seems" faster speed! :D

Here is a somewhat interesting article that I came across in another forum. I think it does a decent job of "reminding" folks about happiness.

6 Reasons Why You’re Not Happy

So, if you don't think there is any downside to early retirement or you think people who have trouble adjusting are flawed, stupid or otherwise worthy of snarky comments

I think there's an element of confirmation bias. How many people are going to admit, even under an assumed name, that they reached a goal that has been almost a singular focus for years, and it turns out that it's not all it's cracked up to be?

For me it's very much like that article. There are many moments when I am so thankful, and I certainly would not want to go back, but it's not nirvana. It's another stage of life that requires work to build.

I think there's an element of confirmation bias. How many people are going to admit, even under an assumed name, that they reached a goal that has been almost a singular focus for years, and it turns out that it's not all it's cracked up to be?
For me, when I see young people hitting the happy hours downtown after work, especially on Friday, I wish I were one of them. But I think that is mostly age. As far as purpose, I have purpose outside of work, mostly in family and right living, courtesy, treating people right.

I do think that misshathaway is right, most people do not enjoy cognitive dissonance, and there would be peck of cognitive dissonance if you scrimped to save or forewent having children in in order to retire early, and then it wasn't as cool as you had assumed.

Bog Dylan was right, the answer is blowin'in the wind. Much of what we do and believe is social fashion though we usually do not realize this.

Ha

Last edited:
I think the article was right on target. Even forewarned, I experienced cognitive dissonance when having nearly 100% free time wasn't as great as I thought it might be.

Any change, even "positive" ones, are stressful. Getting married, moving to a "better" house, etc. So having free time is great, but introduces the "good problem" of having a wider variety of activities to select from. That might just be a bit stressful for some people. For me, more early in retirement than now, but unlike some of the lucky ones here, I can at times identify with the article content.

Back
Top Bottom