Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Indeed we do. We sometimes stay at our condo in downtown Toronto, within a few hundred yards of the main financial district. On occasion I am there around 5pm and I must admit, miss the excitement sometimes. The hustle and bustle, meeting people for drinks or dinner. Rushing off somewhere. Not enough to want to go back to work, of course, but still.
I used to work 120 miles away but whenever I was in town on Friday (or any day), I would drop into the watering hole to interact with my peers. It developed networking relationships that were invaluable. And it had very little to do with drinking.

(Now it seems to be coffee shops anytime of day.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Those who found positions had to move 50 or 100 miles (or commute) once the dust had settled...
When I retired at 49. I stayed on for 2 months to assist with the transition. Then I had a one year contract for one day a week while I worked other contract positions. Observing what was left, I was REALLY happy that I did not stay.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I used to work 120 miles away but whenever I was in town on Friday (or any day), I would drop into the watering hole to interact with my peers. It developed networking relationships that were invaluable. And it had very little to do with drinking.

(Now it seems to be coffee shops anytime of day.)
The watering holes downtown (Ki,O&B,Jump,Canoe, Irish Embassy, various Dukes, and Firkins) are absolutely jammed Wednesday through Friday). Starting to get busy on weekends too as more people are living downtown. Seems to have quite a lot to do with "drinking". Kinda exciting but wouldn't be for long. Nice to visit but wouldn't want to live there.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Ah memories! Also used to drop into to one north of the highway where another whole group meet. Keeping the connections alive (force of habit).
Old 11-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #65

Happy hours (lowered drink prices early in the evening) are illegal in North Carolina
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Happy hours (lowered drink prices early in the evening) are illegal in North Carolina
That is too bad. Here they pick up again at 9pm for late night happy hour. I guess that is really just a different way of pricing what the market will bear and making the prices higher for the after work crowd.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bummer. Do they make it up with free appetizers?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

i deplore drinking too! I do, I do! I deplore fun, levity, flirting also!

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #69

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Prices generally aren't lower in the popular places in Toronto just lots of
"Action"
Old 11-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I've theoretically been retired for 2.5 years, and could easily fill each day with good things to do without working. But I work 3 days a week. I have in-laws, and now, possibly, Trump.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Prices generally aren't lower in the popular places in Toronto just lots of
"Action"
I was in NC when that become law. The reasoning behind it was to discourage heavy drinking in a short amount of time to take advantage of temporary lower prices. Not saying that I agree or disagree, just giving their rationale. They can have all day specials, but not shorter than that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm still a few years away but one thing that kind of concerns me about retirement is the loss of social interaction during the work day. "Off hours," there's still time with the missus and friends but the missus likely won't retire until a decade after me (due to the handcuff of a nice DB plan) and the majority of my friends are at least another 5 years, apart from the ones that own their own businesses and looking to ease up a bit.

I interact with a lot of people in my role and 98% are absolutely great to work with. Even though these are just "work" friends and relationships, I feel they are an important aspect of my life. While I don't consider myself a social butterfly at all (eg. I normally wouldn't be so bold to randomly strike up a conversation with a stranger) and appreciate some down time alone, I do think it would be important for me to replace at least some of these interactions. Not sure with what though. I think about volunteering, joining an organization, or taking some course for fun but nothing jumps out at me yet.

What are your experiences regarding getting enough social interaction during retirement?
Old 11-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
....What are your experiences regarding getting enough social interaction during retirement?
Being an introvert, I found that I had too much social interaction at work. Overall social interaction is down in retirement because I don't have work mates with me all day long, but we seem to get together with our group of friends more now as they retire.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #74

Quote:
What are your experiences regarding getting enough social interaction during retirement?
We're both introverts and homebodies anyway so it isn't all that hard for us. Family visits, going to the gym (more like "acquaintances" there than friends) walking around the neighborhood, etc. suffice for us.

I've taken a bunch of photography classes at the community college, that got me out some. If I wanted more interaction I'd volunteer at a local animal shelter, but I'm afraid I'd be captured by a pair of pretty brown eyes there and want to bring one home. DW is allergic which is the main reason we don't have a dog.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I was in NC when that become law. The reasoning behind it was to discourage heavy drinking in a short amount of time to take advantage of temporary lower prices. Not saying that I agree or disagree, just giving their rationale. They can have all day specials, but not shorter than that.
Yes, I understood the rational, just think it is still ridiculous. In Ontario the provincial govt controls all liquor sales and used to have all kinds of rules, like no booze on Sundays, no sales, etc. Eventually they figured out it was a loosing proposition.

By the way generally speaking liquor, wine, and beer are much cheaper in the US than Canada. Not sure if you have more drunks? Don't think so.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Now they usually have lower prices on food (appetizers) during that same happy hour, so now we cram all that in a short amount of time and get fat instead......
Old 11-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #77

Quote:

My DW and I are extroverts so social interaction is quite important for us in retirement. We have separate groups of friends at all all homes. This was a conscious effort on our part and has paid off. We have met several great people via my not for profit board in Alberta. Have met super people on our biking trips. Most of our circle of friends in Arizona were met this way or through our fitness club there. Can honestly say we have more compatible friends now than before retirement. Takes a bit of follow up sometimes, but it has been well worth working on this. We find Americans particularly friendly.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #78

From the article:
You don’t get to follow the default script imposed by society because financial freedom obliterates the script and leaves a void in its place.”

Personally, I consider this a freedom more than a void.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:58 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I don't understand your statement. I have experienced a great deal of trauma in my life. Some things I cannot bear to think about, even many years later. Yet previous suffering certainly doesn't make the notion of "downsizing" one whit more appealing.

I have gathered that some people anticipate smaller quarters with glee; I would not be among them. Worked too hard and gave up too much in my 20's just to escape apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I just read the article and he describes downsizing out of the family home as traumatic. Obviously he never has had any real trauma in his life.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I understood the rational, just think it is still ridiculous. In Ontario the provincial govt controls all liquor sales and used to have all kinds of rules, like no booze on Sundays, no sales, etc. Eventually they figured out it was a loosing proposition.

By the way generally speaking liquor, wine, and beer are much cheaper in the US than Canada. Not sure if you have more drunks? Don't think so.
Not every state is like AZ. When traveling in the US, I often find it annoying having to find a liquor store, even in a western state like Montana, while in AZ any grocery market has what I want.

We used to not allow alcohol sales on Sunday before noon, but that law was dropped a few years ago. There's also no restriction on election days. So, drunks can now go to church and into voting booths.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote