Downsizing

Everything you're describing is common sense.

Getting a modern place whose components work better; getting rid of four generations of junk you never wanted and couldn't use (as oppposed to, say, having to get rid of a treasured collection because your health forces a move to the old folks' home) ; no longer shouldering the burden of entertaining; realizing you could enjoy boats through your club, versus maintaining two vessels.

It's much like when Mr. A. suggested, after we returned from overseas with just one car, that we share the car instead of buying a second one. We didn't stop liking new cars, but now it was feasible to own just one, especially after ride-hailing services became available. But there was no special spirituall joy to it :)

IMHO, there might be more to 'Downsizing' than just decluttering.

For us, we had come from a large oceanfront 120 year old house (the family homestead) where everything had been a compromise; electric plugs not where they're needed, closets too narrow and small for today's clothes, no real good place for the TV, sticking doors, on and on. (If the fuse blew in the attic it had to be the toaster in the kitchen). Sketchy neighbors had moved in too.

We 'downsized' to a larger, brand new house with a covenant and for us the downsize was all about living easier in a more convenient environment, getting rid of a lot of stuff (four generations worth of useless junk!) and everything new.

We went further and sold our two boats and joined a boat club (love it btw), ended our weekly 'Dinner for 14' Saturday night formal dinners and found a whole new way of living.

In short, what we downsized to was a whole lot less work, aggravation and PITAs. What no longer 'fit' in our new lifestyle, we jettisoned; we didn't bring our old life to the new house but instead saw it as an opportunity to find what we really wanted to do with the next 20 years we have.

We are decluttering, and it’s been a good process. But our tools are musical instruments. Hard to downsize a piano, marimba, xylophone or vibraphone. You can’t replace a full sized instrument with a small one.

At one time I had 5 basses, 2 electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, a 12-string acoustic guitar, 2 guitar amps, 5 bass amps, a PA system with 6 large speakers, a full drum set, plus assorted mic stands, cables, and various other accessories. All (most) of it was used on a regular basis. It took up a lot of space.

I've since sold off most of it.

Hi I am grasshopper and I am a.......... You all are an inspiration to me, the guy who buys two of everything because you never know when you will need it.

Prior to moving to our CCRC a couple of years ago we downsized big time. We had lived in that house for over 30 years and it was packed. We shredded stuff so much that I burned out my shredder! St Vincent de Paul and Goodwill got a lot of our unneeded stuff (If I did not use it in the last year, it was gone). I gave much military stuff to a guy who loves to collect anything military. I have not missed anything that I discarded. Living in a CCRC can not be beat.

Last edited:
The "this" was the part I quoted and bolded:

It's OK, people have different views on things. I just don't get the 'freedom' and all that from downsizing. IME, it's been a pain in the rear. Trying to cram an entire unfinished basement of storage and work area into a much smaller area. It's not easy for me, it's not flexible, I have to make do in the space I have.

No room for the table saw in the unfinished part of the basement. I have to go into the garage, pull a car out, pull the table saw off the shelf, set up some sawhorses and out-feed table, and then run up and down stairs to make a cut on the table saw, and then a cut on the miter saw (in the basement shop). In the old house, that was all set up all the time, and in one area. Nothing about that is easier or more flexible, and provides no emotional, spiritual and physical freedom for me. How could it, it's a pain?

So what if I got rid if a bunch of stuff? I had the room to store it, so why not? If I didn't want it, I would have thrown it out already. Now I'm much more likely to have to make a trip to the store for something I could have grabbed off the shelf. I lost my large music room, I'm trying to cram that and my computer desk into a much smaller area.

But of course, it's not all bad (or we wouldn't have moved!). We are closer to our kids and grandkids (the main incentive), the downsize sort of pushed me over the fence to hire a lawn service (I didn't want to have to store all that stuff, and still do the work). We like the area (but we liked our previous area too). And the finished part of the basement will be set up nicely when I get to it. And it's rather minor, but it's nice not to attend to a water softener (we are on Lake Michigan water), or monitor/worry about the well. But that's unique to our situation, not downsizing in particular.

So can you tell me about this "emotional, spiritual and physical freedom. Life is far easier and more flexible after significant downsizing"? I don't get it. What's freeing/easy/flexible about all the inconvenience of living in a smaller space?

-ERD50

Yes, I got rid of all of that garbage. The stuff you listed - tools, toys/distractions and more, etc. Don't need it. Sold some of it, gave some of it away, and threw a bunch of it away.

My priority is not stuff but rather spending time with family and attempting to the the best me possible (not succeeding most of the time), and building an estate to hopefully pass on.

Yes, I got rid of all of that garbage. The stuff you listed - tools, toys/distractions and more, etc. Don't need it. Sold some of it, gave some of it away, and threw a bunch of it away.

My priority is not stuff but rather spending time with family and attempting to the the best me possible (not succeeding most of the time), and building an estate to hopefully pass on.

My tools are not garbage or distractions and I think ERD50 feels the same way about their tools. Just one example (out of many from this summer)...I helped my brother build a deck. Family gathered, a few of us built the deck, some fetched tools and beverages, others sat and watched from lawn chairs, kids ran around and played, etc. It was a typical family gathering, except at the end he had a nice deck to enjoy going forward that only cost him for material, and his 22-year old son learned a useful skill.

Maybe that's the key. Those who are tired of their tools, hobbies, etc., feel freer and lighter in spirit when those items are gone.

Like most things, one size doesn't fit all.

Me, I get a bit annoyed at the moralizing, self-congratulatory, tone (not seen in this thread, thanks) of many articles and blogs about downsizing and tidying up. Then again, some people simply have to feel superior to others, even when they aren't. So they come up with all sorts of ways to try it on, and "I have no superfluous belongings" is a popular one. :LOL::facepalm:

My tools are not garbage or distractions and I think ERD50 feels the same way about their tools. Just one example (out of many from this summer)...I helped my brother build a deck. Family gathered, a few of us built the deck, some fetched tools and beverages, others sat and watched from lawn chairs, kids ran around and played, etc. It was a typical family gathering, except at the end he had a nice deck to enjoy going forward that only cost him for material, and his 22-year old son learned a useful skill.

Seems there are two definitions of downsizing being used here.

1) Moving to a smaller home
2) Getting rid of unneeded stuff.

As for downsizing to a smaller house, we'd probably don't need the big house we have now, but we're in no hurry to move.

I've downsized my belongings (decluttered?) big time over the last 5 years. Most drawers are empty and most closets have little in them. For me, that is very liberating. I'm always looking for more stuff to give away.

I think I'll make a new run of the house today (while DW is out) and try to find some more junk to get rid off.

I'm wary of storing my (also ripped) CDs in the attic. Though I probably will never touch them again, the heat could damage them (I didn't find any specifics on this, not sure how 'hot' is 'hot', but attics can get way up there).

-ERD50

IDK, probably not as hot or at least not any hotter in the attic than it is a car parked in the sun all day in the middle of summer, and CD's have withstood that through the test of time.

One of my gym friends is on the lookout for a larger house, after she and her husband downsized from a big home up North, to a 1700-square-foot 3BR 2BA home in FL.

She said they never could have believed how cramped they'd feel in this size of home. The only thing stopping them from trading up, is that they love their current development, and nothing they can afford in that development has come up for sale.

I must say that coming from 2700 Sf to less than 1100 helps you stay honest about what's important to keep. We still have too much. DW is a master of making things fit. Unfortunately, items may never be seen again. I can't think how many times I've purchased something instead of looking through the closet that holds the tools, spares, bulbs, etc. YMMV

I must say that coming from 2700 Sf to less than 1100 helps you stay honest about what's important to keep. We still have too much. DW is a master of making things fit. Unfortunately, items may never be seen again. I can't think how many times I've purchased something instead of looking through the closet that holds the tools, spares, bulbs, etc. YMMV

I think if we go to 1100 sq ft, we will be risking our marriage... ;)

Since I never "upsized", have no need to downsize. I love my tools, woodworking has always been a hobby.

Any excuse to buy a new tool is a good excuse - Man Law - :)

It depends. We went from two 1800 sq ft homes into a 1400 sq ft home, combining 2 households.
We will be celebrating our 14th anniversary this week:)

Congratulations! We will have our 14th anniversary early next year. We each had a 2000 sq ft home, went to 4600 sq ft, then to 2850 sq ft and now 3000 sq ft. I can live in a 1100 sq ft home but he can't. :) I am easy peasy.

Congratulations! We will have our 14th anniversary early next year. We each had a 2000 sq ft home, went to 4600 sq ft, then to 2850 sq ft and now 3000 sq ft. I can live in a 1100 sq ft home but he can't. :) I am easy peasy.

I'm OK with 2,000 square feet as long as I have a big garage and workshop. ;)

I agree - and those need to be climate controlled. So one is back to 3,000+ square feet :LOL:

I'm OK with 2,000 square feet as long as I have a big garage and workshop. ;)

We're in a 1700 sq/ft ranch. Of course it's enough for two people. However, I think if I had built this house, I probably would have done a little more in the master and master bath and that probably would have taken the house to 2000 sq/ft. Unfortunately, they just didn't build like that in 1956. I'm sure at that time this was considered a pretty large home having 3br and 1.5 baths with a family room and attached garage. The two car garage is actually oversize for the time period, but there'd be three bays if built today. Still, it's good for now as it's just the two of us.

We're happy in our 2200 sq. Originally 2000 before the 3 season sunroom addition. I'd be happier with a little more land than .25 acre to fit my solar panels on the ground. If ever I go solar, it'll have to be on the roof. I'd also like a 3 car garage to fit all the toys and maybe a new Z06 Corvette. But figured out how to hang the kayak from the garage ceiling using an electric winch.

I would love to downsize but DW loves her things and the size of our too big house…

Next to our development is an older one (1960's) where there have been several teardowns. The lots are generous for seaside, 1/2 acre or more, but not big enough for such large homes as are being built.

One in particular has the de rigueur 3-car garage right in front, so it's the first and most dominant thing you see, with the entry like an afterthought off to the left. Every time I see it, I think "Oh, what a nice garage. Oh, there's a house, too!" :LOL:

The two car garage is actually oversize for the time period, but there'd be three bays if built today. .

Over the past five years I have cleaned out my grandparents' house to sell it after they were both gone, then (some of) DH's stuff after he died, and then the vast majority of my late mother's MANY items/furniture/etc during my father's selling of his house.

On behalf of children and remaining spouses everywhere, I implore everyone to not just leave this task to your children/remaining spouse.

My own stuff is now increasingly crowded out by the sentimental items from each clean-out that I couldn't bear to part with. (Not big stuff, and I only kept about 1/100th of the stuff that actually meant something to me.)

But each one of these emotionally and physically draining go-rounds has spurred me to make runs through my own stuff, though I have many more to go.

I will never stop thanking my father for deciding to sell his house and get rid of most of his stuff while he was still alive. He was able to go through his papers and cull out stuff that would mean nothing to his kids, and I was able to oversee the project while not deep in grief of not only losing him but the delayed grief for my mother as so much of her stuff remained. And I know he realized what a Herculean task he saved me from.

One in particular has the de rigueur 3-car garage right in front, so it's the first and most dominant thing you see, with the entry like an afterthought off to the left. Every time I see it, I think "Oh, what a nice garage. Oh, there's a house, too!" :LOL:

Our house has the garage door on the side. I couldn’t agree more. The garage door being such a prominent feature of the front facade is something I wish never was. Those older neighborhoods with an ally where you come in from behind your house had it right. Of course those weren’t attached, but still, looked much nicer from the street.

On behalf of children and remaining spouses everywhere, I implore everyone to not just leave this task to your children/remaining spouse.

We had a similar experience as we cleaned out my MIL’s house. She lived there for about 60 years and obviously that was “home” to DW. Due to our proximity to that house when our daughters were kids, that was also “home” to them. It was very hard on DW to clear it out and sell it. We kept saying the whole time, let’s not do this to our kids. So far we’re doing pretty good on that commitment.

I agree that garages on the front are unattractive, but the advantage is that they maximize back yard space and reduce driveway length. I used to live in a house with a 45' x 100' lot. The garage was behind the house resulting in a 70' driveway and a 20' x 40' back yard. Had the garage been on the front there would have been a 30' driveway and a 45' x 40' back yard...plus a 15' x 30' side yard.

Back
Top Bottom