Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I must say that coming from 2700 Sf to less than 1100 helps you stay honest about what's important to keep. We still have too much. DW is a master of making things fit. Unfortunately, items may never be seen again. I can't think how many times I've purchased something instead of looking through the closet that holds the tools, spares, bulbs, etc. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I must say that coming from 2700 Sf to less than 1100 helps you stay honest about what's important to keep. We still have too much. DW is a master of making things fit. Unfortunately, items may never be seen again. I can't think how many times I've purchased something instead of looking through the closet that holds the tools, spares, bulbs, etc. YMMV
I think if we go to 1100 sq ft, we will be risking our marriage...
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
After 8 houses over the years and horse property in California, we are happy as clams in 2,000 square feet!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Since I never "upsized", have no need to downsize. I love my tools, woodworking has always been a hobby.

Any excuse to buy a new tool is a good excuse - Man Law -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #65

Quote:

It depends. We went from two 1800 sq ft homes into a 1400 sq ft home, combining 2 households.
We will be celebrating our 14th anniversary this week
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
It depends. We went from two 1800 sq ft homes into a 1400 sq ft home, combining 2 households.
We will be celebrating our 14th anniversary this week
Congratulations! We will have our 14th anniversary early next year. We each had a 2000 sq ft home, went to 4600 sq ft, then to 2850 sq ft and now 3000 sq ft. I can live in a 1100 sq ft home but he can't. I am easy peasy.
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Congratulations! We will have our 14th anniversary early next year. We each had a 2000 sq ft home, went to 4600 sq ft, then to 2850 sq ft and now 3000 sq ft. I can live in a 1100 sq ft home but he can't. I am easy peasy.
I'm OK with 2,000 square feet as long as I have a big garage and workshop.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I agree - and those need to be climate controlled. So one is back to 3,000+ square feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm OK with 2,000 square feet as long as I have a big garage and workshop.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #69

We're in a 1700 sq/ft ranch. Of course it's enough for two people. However, I think if I had built this house, I probably would have done a little more in the master and master bath and that probably would have taken the house to 2000 sq/ft. Unfortunately, they just didn't build like that in 1956. I'm sure at that time this was considered a pretty large home having 3br and 1.5 baths with a family room and attached garage. The two car garage is actually oversize for the time period, but there'd be three bays if built today. Still, it's good for now as it's just the two of us.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:42 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

We're happy in our 2200 sq. Originally 2000 before the 3 season sunroom addition. I'd be happier with a little more land than .25 acre to fit my solar panels on the ground. If ever I go solar, it'll have to be on the roof. I'd also like a 3 car garage to fit all the toys and maybe a new Z06 Corvette. But figured out how to hang the kayak from the garage ceiling using an electric winch.
ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would love to downsize but DW loves her things and the size of our too big house…
Old 11-04-2021, 04:55 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Next to our development is an older one (1960's) where there have been several teardowns. The lots are generous for seaside, 1/2 acre or more, but not big enough for such large homes as are being built.

One in particular has the de rigueur 3-car garage right in front, so it's the first and most dominant thing you see, with the entry like an afterthought off to the left. Every time I see it, I think "Oh, what a nice garage. Oh, there's a house, too!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
The two car garage is actually oversize for the time period, but there'd be three bays if built today. .
Old 11-04-2021, 06:03 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Over the past five years I have cleaned out my grandparents' house to sell it after they were both gone, then (some of) DH's stuff after he died, and then the vast majority of my late mother's MANY items/furniture/etc during my father's selling of his house.

On behalf of children and remaining spouses everywhere, I implore everyone to not just leave this task to your children/remaining spouse.

My own stuff is now increasingly crowded out by the sentimental items from each clean-out that I couldn't bear to part with. (Not big stuff, and I only kept about 1/100th of the stuff that actually meant something to me.)

But each one of these emotionally and physically draining go-rounds has spurred me to make runs through my own stuff, though I have many more to go.

I will never stop thanking my father for deciding to sell his house and get rid of most of his stuff while he was still alive. He was able to go through his papers and cull out stuff that would mean nothing to his kids, and I was able to oversee the project while not deep in grief of not only losing him but the delayed grief for my mother as so much of her stuff remained. And I know he realized what a Herculean task he saved me from.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:15 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
One in particular has the de rigueur 3-car garage right in front, so it's the first and most dominant thing you see, with the entry like an afterthought off to the left. Every time I see it, I think "Oh, what a nice garage. Oh, there's a house, too!"
Our house has the garage door on the side. I couldn’t agree more. The garage door being such a prominent feature of the front facade is something I wish never was. Those older neighborhoods with an ally where you come in from behind your house had it right. Of course those weren’t attached, but still, looked much nicer from the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
On behalf of children and remaining spouses everywhere, I implore everyone to not just leave this task to your children/remaining spouse.
We had a similar experience as we cleaned out my MIL’s house. She lived there for about 60 years and obviously that was “home” to DW. Due to our proximity to that house when our daughters were kids, that was also “home” to them. It was very hard on DW to clear it out and sell it. We kept saying the whole time, let’s not do this to our kids. So far we’re doing pretty good on that commitment.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:24 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I agree that garages on the front are unattractive, but the advantage is that they maximize back yard space and reduce driveway length. I used to live in a house with a 45' x 100' lot. The garage was behind the house resulting in a 70' driveway and a 20' x 40' back yard. Had the garage been on the front there would have been a 30' driveway and a 45' x 40' back yard...plus a 15' x 30' side yard.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Over the past five years I have cleaned out my grandparents' house to sell it after they were both gone, then (some of) DH's stuff after he died, and then the vast majority of my late mother's MANY items/furniture/etc during my father's selling of his house.

I will never stop thanking my father for deciding to sell his house and get rid of most of his stuff while he was still alive. He was able to go through his papers and cull out stuff that would mean nothing to his kids, and I was able to oversee the project while not deep in grief of not only losing him but the delayed grief for my mother as so much of her stuff remained. And I know he realized what a Herculean task he saved me from.
It was a mess cleaning out my dads house. Probably 95% went the way of the dumpster. He had whole dressers filled with paper copies of bills going back to the 60's. For the most part, he kept the house clean and tidy but found a way to cram a lot of stuff out of sight. It's one of the reasons I get satisfaction out of opening empty drawers at my house.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:27 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

My long time apartment is 450 sq feet and I still have too much junk! Do have a storage area in the basement but it is pretty limited too. Working on keeping the clutter down is a never-ending project!
Old 11-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

If we must have 3-car garages on small lots (and we are guilty), there is always a compromise. The best-looking, to my eye, is when the garage is on the side. The compromise is a rather large paved area for backing and turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I agree that garages on the front are unattractive, but the advantage is that they maximize back yard space and reduce driveway length. I used to live in a house with a 45' x 100' lot. The garage was behind the house resulting in a 70' driveway and a 20' x 40' back yard. Had the garage been on the front there would have been a 30' driveway and a 45' x 40' back yard...plus a 15' x 30' side yard.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Downsizing is a relative term.

Simply depends on your terms of reference and your preferences.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:05 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

My parents raised three kids in a home just like you described, if it also has a full basement. There was a tiny den that served as a "fourth bedroom," which was mine until I got too big for it and another sibling moved out. As the youngest, I had to use the half bath, which I shared with the cats' litter boxes, unless actually bathing. That was the only part that seemed too small to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
We're in a 1700 sq/ft ranch. Of course it's enough for two people. However, I think if I had built this house, I probably would have done a little more in the master and master bath and that probably would have taken the house to 2000 sq/ft. Unfortunately, they just didn't build like that in 1956. I'm sure at that time this was considered a pretty large home having 3br and 1.5 baths with a family room and attached garage. The two car garage is actually oversize for the time period, but there'd be three bays if built today. Still, it's good for now as it's just the two of us.

Tags
books, donations, downsizing