Downsizing

We left Atlanta and moved to ultra Low COL Alabama 19 years ago--downsizing to 3300 square feet. About the same time, we closed out my parents' main home and inherited their fine furniture. Then we closed out my aunt's home and moved her into assisted living. After it was said and done, I ended up with my grandfather's full cabinet shop and enough furniture and "stuff" to fill six double car garages.

I've been hauling truck loads to the city dump just about weekly for all these years. And then we upsized our homes twice. Right now, I still have a triple car garage of unneeded but nice furniture.

If something happened to us today, it would be a big burden to empty this house for resale. Just settling our estate would be a big enough burden to place on one daughter, the accountant who lives 200 miles away.

After all, it's just stuff and if someone's not used something in 10 years, they don't need it.

I have downsized a few times and helped others do it. The last time was 6 months ago during a divorce where none of the crap was mine because all my items fit into 28 plastic bins. The house had to be empty in order to close so had to help my ex get rid of his junk. 2 huge trailer loads to the dump, a garage sale, he kept a 10x10 storage unit, lots of free stuff put out front. I injured my shoulder during this. Luckily my chiropractor bought a laser and 6 treatments later it’s fine. When something happens to me my kids won’t have a big job at all.

DW was bummed that her "go-to" used book place (back on the Mainland) did not survive Covid. In effect, they traded 2 for 1 plus (IIRC) $0.25/book. She traded literally 1000s of books there and that kept her supply to a manageable 3 or 4 legal boxes full at any one time. This summer, she's been able to get most of her books from the library on her phone. YMMV

My wife and I live in a rented home that is 25% of the size of the house in which we raised our kids.

Getting rid of physical possessions has been hard but has paid off immensely in emotional, spiritual and physical freedom. Life is far easier and more flexible after significant downsizing.

To each their own, but I just don't get this.

We downsized this year. Though much of it is of a 'different sized' - went from full unfinished basement to mostly finished basement. One less bedroom, smaller rooms in general, lost my 'music room', and the 'living room' (not really a big loss, we didn't use it much).

It's taking a *lot* of time and effort to try to re-fit into this house. I had to re-size my workshop, build all new workbenches, tool/part cabinets, etc. Find creative ways to store/present stuff since I can't (I won't, and DW won't let me!) just stack stuff up in piles in like I did in an un-finished basement.

I like to dabble in all sorts of different hobbies, so I keep all this stuff, and need a place to store it and work on it, and some of it takes up some space. Some I use daily, other stuff years may pass between me doing anything with it. That's fine, when the mood strikes, I dig into it. That's the way I like it.

Of course we got rid of *lots* of stuff, and are still weeding things out that we didn't have time to do before the move. But there's still a lot I want to keep. That gives me emotional, spiritual and physical freedom. Life is far easier and more flexible with all the space you need.

-ERD50

I can’t legally sell our 425+ CDs because songs I ripped from them make up over 80% of my digital library. But they all fit in a couple office cardboard boxes in the attic.

I'm confused, you ripped songs FROM them; so aren't they the original CDs? Ok to sell them

I've been gradually getting rid of stuff over the last few years. A couple of times a year I have a free garage sale where I just put stuff out on the lawn for free. Anything leftover gets either thrown out or taken to the thrift store.

I also sometimes sell or give away stuff on FB Marketplace.

We left Atlanta and moved to ultra Low COL Alabama 19 years ago--downsizing to 3300 square feet. About the same time, we closed out my parents' main home and inherited their fine furniture. Then we closed out my aunt's home and moved her into assisted living. After it was said and done, I ended up with my grandfather's full cabinet shop and enough furniture and "stuff" to fill six double car garages.

I've been hauling truck loads to the city dump just about weekly for all these years. And then we upsized our homes twice. Right now, I still have a triple car garage of unneeded but nice furniture.

I feel your pain. My girlfriend moved in 2 years ago, combining the contents of her 1300 sq. ft. house into my 1000 sq. ft. house. Then a few months later her mother moved into assisted living (1 bedroom) and we had to empty a 5 bedroom 4 bath house and the rather full garage.

We've finally purged 95% of the excess stuff.

In 4-6 years, the CCRC will be the right choice for us. So I've decided to start reducing my book collection and stereo equipment and CD's. Now that I'm working on it, I'm finding it addicting to type in an ISBN in BookSource and have it find a buyer - even if the offer is $.15! My best so far is $15.15. Ive already packaged up 10 boxes/packages of books and should collect about $163.

I reduced my book collection via Amazon. For me it was like putting down lobster traps, waiting a bit and then checking the traps a few days later to find something of interest. Fun.

Turns out someone had once given me a book on some really obscure subject; some New-Age thing.

I never looked at the book! But after entering the ISBN, I found it was a first edition worth about $400!!!! Someone scooped it up and I got paid!

I'm confused, you ripped songs FROM them; so aren't they the original CDs? Ok to sell them

They paid for the content on those CD's and are free to use it as they see fit, but legally you cannot keep the digital media without the original media.

Yup. You bought the right to listen or watch the content. Not to sell it or give it away after you copied it.

You have a copy and not the original, you're busted!

Yup. You bought the right to listen or watch the content. Not to sell it or give it away after you copied it.

You have a copy and not the original, you're busted!

I'm screwed I guess.....I have a USB Flash Drive in my car with hundreds of tunes on it that I am sure came from CD's which I have no idea where they exist now. :( If I get caught.....is it a felony offense? :confused:

I'm screwed I guess.....I have a USB Flash Drive in my car with hundreds of tunes on it that I am sure came from CD's which I have no idea where they exist now. :( If I get caught.....is it a felony offense? :confused:

It’s a felony to worry about it. [emoji6]

Nah, it's a civil offense. But can cost you plenty dough if you remember the Napster days.

As a practical matter, you have nothing to worry about. Technically, yes, you could be viewed as being in violation of copyright laws. I’ve actually seen this situation once at work and once involving a friend. They were a little different but in both cases the letter came with one option being to destroy the copied material. So yes, it might cost you a flash drive, or at least the time it takes to reformat it.

Around here there are lots of Little Free Library boxes for books and CDs, and the online exchange group Free Cycle for other things. Not for huge quantities obviously.

To each their own, but I just don't get this.

We downsized this year. Though much of it is of a 'different sized' - went from full unfinished basement to mostly finished basement. One less bedroom, smaller rooms in general, lost my 'music room', and the 'living room' (not really a big loss, we didn't use it much).

It's taking a *lot* of time and effort to try to re-fit into this house. I had to re-size my workshop, build all new workbenches, tool/part cabinets, etc. Find creative ways to store/present stuff since I can't (I won't, and DW won't let me!) just stack stuff up in piles in like I did in an un-finished basement.

I like to dabble in all sorts of different hobbies, so I keep all this stuff, and need a place to store it and work on it, and some of it takes up some space. Some I use daily, other stuff years may pass between me doing anything with it. That's fine, when the mood strikes, I dig into it. That's the way I like it.

Of course we got rid of *lots* of stuff, and are still weeding things out that we didn't have time to do before the move. But there's still a lot I want to keep. That gives me emotional, spiritual and physical freedom. Life is far easier and more flexible with all the space you need.

-ERD50

@ERD50 You said you don't get this. Then you went on to describe your current situation.

What is it that you don't get about "this"?

@ERD50 You said you don't get this. Then you went on to describe your current situation.

What is it that you don't get about "this"?

The "this" was the part I quoted and bolded:

Originally Posted by chassis View Post
My wife and I live in a rented home that is 25% of the size of the house in which we raised our kids.

Getting rid of physical possessions has been hard but has paid off immensely in emotional, spiritual and physical freedom. Life is far easier and more flexible after significant downsizing.

It's OK, people have different views on things. I just don't get the 'freedom' and all that from downsizing. IME, it's been a pain in the rear. Trying to cram an entire unfinished basement of storage and work area into a much smaller area. It's not easy for me, it's not flexible, I have to make do in the space I have.

No room for the table saw in the unfinished part of the basement. I have to go into the garage, pull a car out, pull the table saw off the shelf, set up some sawhorses and out-feed table, and then run up and down stairs to make a cut on the table saw, and then a cut on the miter saw (in the basement shop). In the old house, that was all set up all the time, and in one area. Nothing about that is easier or more flexible, and provides no emotional, spiritual and physical freedom for me. How could it, it's a pain?

So what if I got rid if a bunch of stuff? I had the room to store it, so why not? If I didn't want it, I would have thrown it out already. Now I'm much more likely to have to make a trip to the store for something I could have grabbed off the shelf. I lost my large music room, I'm trying to cram that and my computer desk into a much smaller area.

But of course, it's not all bad (or we wouldn't have moved!). We are closer to our kids and grandkids (the main incentive), the downsize sort of pushed me over the fence to hire a lawn service (I didn't want to have to store all that stuff, and still do the work). We like the area (but we liked our previous area too). And the finished part of the basement will be set up nicely when I get to it. And it's rather minor, but it's nice not to attend to a water softener (we are on Lake Michigan water), or monitor/worry about the well. But that's unique to our situation, not downsizing in particular.

So can you tell me about this "emotional, spiritual and physical freedom. Life is far easier and more flexible after significant downsizing"? I don't get it. What's freeing/easy/flexible about all the inconvenience of living in a smaller space?

-ERD50

I went through several downsizing rounds over the past 10 years. Back in 2012, I lived in the suburbs with my ex-wife in a traditional 2,500sqft house packed to the rafters with stuff. Then we moved to a 2-bedroom condo downtown and had to let go of about half out stuff (most of what we let go was donated to Goodwill and local shelters). A few years and a divorce later, all my earthly possessions could be held in a few cardboard boxes. I never felt freer. I moved into a 540sqft 1-bedroom condo and I love my small, clutter-free living space. I own several other condos, some much larger, but I wouldn't dream of living elsewhere.

One reason is that many people, unlike you and me, are not hobbyists. Or they flirt with a hobby for a while, then tire of it - and then they are left staring at all that Stuff they bought during their hobby period. For you and me, hobby Stuff is life, freedom, and spiritual satisfaction.

Another, is that some people want to travel a lot before they get too old. They no longer use their Stuff, and don't see a future for it either. So there it sits.

Then there is all that Stuff one bought for the kids, and one finally realizes that grandchildren, if any, are not likely to need or want their parents' old stuff.

So can you tell me about this "emotional, spiritual and physical freedom. Life is far easier and more flexible after significant downsizing"? I don't get it. What's freeing/easy/flexible about all the inconvenience of living in a smaller space?

-ERD50

-ERD50

I think you're overlooking the "less stuff" part of the equation. It's rarely about jamming stuff into a smaller space, but letting go of the stuff as well. One man's collection of tools and toys is another's clutter. IOW, half the space, a quarter the stuff. Clean lines, closets that aren't jammed. 3 pairs of shoes instead of 72. Never have to hunt for anything, etc.

The free/easy feeling is achieved by those who feel more balanced with less stuff around. Doesn't work for everyone but I can understand how it might for some.

... a traditional 2,500sqft house packed to the rafters with stuff. Then we moved to a 2-bedroom condo ...

I think you're overlooking the "less stuff" part of the equation. It's rarely about jamming stuff into a smaller space, but letting go of the stuff as well. One man's collection of tools and toys is another's clutter. IOW, half the space, a quarter the stuff. Clean lines, closets that aren't jammed. 3 pairs of shoes instead of 72. Never have to hunt for anything, etc.

The free/easy feeling is achieved by those who feel more balanced with less stuff around. Doesn't work for everyone but I can understand how it might for some.

OK, but in my mind, you are describing a very different problem.

The big house being "packed to the rafters with stuff", "closets that aren't jammed", "3 pairs of shoes instead of 72"? Just because you have a big house doesn't mean it has to be "jammed", or that you can't pare down your wardrobe. That makes no sense to me.

In fact, it is just the opposite. It's easier to have everything neatly organized and easy to find when you have the room to store it. I'm more likely to jam closets if I downsize, as I have less room for the stuff I want. I've got to stack things on top and in front of other things.

The problem you are describing is having more stuff than you have room for, or keeping stuff you never use that would be better to give away/toss. That is independent of the size of the home.

I guess people are saying that the downsizing forced them to finally sort their stuff out? OK, but nothing was stopping them from doing that before they downsized. When I found I was digging through 40 little wood off-cuts to try to get to that good piece of wood for a project, I'd pull that wood out and sort it and cull out the stuff I know I would never use. I didn't have to downsize to keep my wood sorted. It's harder now, even after giving away/trashing lots and lots of wood. I don't have the space to have it all out on easy to access racks. Some is in the garage, the rest is tucked away where I have to pull other stuff out to get to it. And I make more trips t the store, for a piece of wood I know I gave away.

So I still don't get it.

OK, but as I say, that's a different issue. If you don't want a lot of stuff around, you like clean minimalist living, that's fine and I understand that. Then do that. And once you got rid of a lot of stuff, maybe you decide you can get by with a smaller house. OK. But that's your choice, and that's the driver. It seems strange to tie that to downsizing, and say that downsizing was freeing. Just seems like backwards cause/effect to me.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Politicos will get a good thread closed.

We are decluttering, and it’s been a good process. But our tools are musical instruments. Hard to downsize a piano, marimba, xylophone or vibraphone. You can’t replace a full sized instrument with a small one.

I like having larger uncluttered rooms.

IMHO, there might be more to 'Downsizing' than just decluttering.

For us, we had come from a large oceanfront 120 year old house (the family homestead) where everything had been a compromise; electric plugs not where they're needed, closets too narrow and small for today's clothes, no real good place for the TV, sticking doors, on and on. (If the fuse blew in the attic it had to be the toaster in the kitchen). Sketchy neighbors had moved in too.

We 'downsized' to a larger, brand new house with a covenant and for us the downsize was all about living easier in a more convenient environment, getting rid of a lot of stuff (four generations worth of useless junk!) and everything new.

We went further and sold our two boats and joined a boat club (love it btw), ended our weekly 'Dinner for 14' Saturday night formal dinners and found a whole new way of living.

In short, what we downsized to was a whole lot less work, aggravation and PITAs. What no longer 'fit' in our new lifestyle, we jettisoned; we didn't bring our old life to the new house but instead saw it as an opportunity to find what we really wanted to do with the next 20 years we have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom