Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Why does that happen? Does it still happen with today's kids who have on-line access to their files?

Well, in my case, it’s because of my natural slackosity (how do you like that word?). In my dream, I know I am enrolled in the class!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Well, in my case, it’s because of my natural slackosity (how do you like that word?). In my dream, I know I am enrolled in the class!
Get this. I was not a slacker, but I had that variant too! I'd be like, "Yeah, I blew off the class all semester. So what... Wait, wait! What have I done? The final is tomorrow!"

I had this dream occasionally for 10 years after college. I expected the same for after work. So far, it hasn't happened and I'm grateful for not revisiting that stress constantly.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the occasional dream of w*rking and not getting a paycheck, with Payroll and HR unable to correct it.

I too have the "missed whole semester and today is the final exam" dream. IMO it's expressing a feeling of unpreparedness in current life, but why that yields the same dream for so many people is strange. Maybe the cartoons we all watched as kids had subliminal "the final exam is today" messages hidden within (yes, I'm joking about that).
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Rated G for General Audiences
Old 04-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #24

Rated G for General Audiences

What's the point in retiring if all you're gonna dream about is w*rk? I wanna hear about the dreams involving lingerie and trampolines fun hobbies and naps.

As you can tell, I'm going stir crazy at the sweatshop. This has been an exhausting week. I'm gonna lose it if I don't get some time off soon. Can't wait for Saturday, and eventually, for when every day is Saturday.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #25

Many people have a common dream about being back in college. Mine usually involve me being in a class and having no idea what the lesson is about. Along the same lines, 6+ years after my ER, I still have an occasional dream of 2 flavors - either I'm interviewing for a job (that I have no idea what it entails), or I'm in a job where I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Either way, I'd classify these as nightmares!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I never dream about past work experiences, or school ones for that matter. When I can remember my dreams, they seem to be about my times with old girlfriends. I don't know if there is a message there or not.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #27

No dreams about work. Only about college. For many years. Most of them I was either late or naked. Not sure of the significance of the latter
Old 04-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #28

At last we're gettin' somewhere! Keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I never dream about past work experiences, or school ones for that matter. When I can remember my dreams, they seem to be about my times with old girlfriends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
No dreams about work. Only about college. For many years. Most of them I was either late or naked. Not sure of the significance of the latter
Old 04-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The college dreams are the ones that got me. It wasn’t that I didn’t know I was enrolled in a course but that I never attended and finals rolled around.
yep I seem to have that one a few times a year. The work dream happens about 2 or 3 times in the past year. Not a bad dream just weird. I think we are normal.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sitting here laughing because I didn't realize how common the missed classes, unprepared final exam college/university dream was. I have that dream a few times a year and I'm stressing out in my dream that I don't have my degree because I'm short credits.

I also have dreams about work but I'm still working. I don't dream about work that often, though I had one this morning about getting ready for a presentation and not having the info I needed.
Common theme I guess: Freaking out about being prepared.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
Any other FIRE's here have frequent dreams about their old job?
Ahhhhh....... No....... But if I did, I'd get counseling as needed to get myself straightened out.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #32

Oh boy. Dreams about former jobs.

I left megacorp 29 years ago to start my own business. I have dreams about working at megacorp about once every two weeks. The dreams have a common theme--I'm not doing anything at my job. Just walking around talking to people, looking at stuff, sitting in at meetings, asking for projects, sometimes begging my supervisor for work.

I've even had performance reviews where I get average or bad reviews. At that point I tell my supervisor that I haven't been on the payroll for decades and challenge him to look it up! So how can you give me a bad review?! Now give me something to do, I'm sick of walking around trying to look busy!

Drives me crazy having these dreams. You'd think they'd stop. At least they don't happen every couple of nights or even once a week like they used to happen.

Meanwhile, I rarely have dreams about my own business.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

I probably shared this before, but at least once a year, this recurring dream about when I worked in Chicago and took the train from Lisle. 7:30 AM and jeanie drives me to the train. I have to make a 9:00 A.M presentation to about 30 top management people including Rawleigh Warner, President/CEO of Mobil that owned Montgomery Ward at the time. 1981, I think.
Am halfway into the city, when i look down and see that I have on one brown shoe, and one black shoe.
Jumped off the train, called jeanie to meet me at that station.... a blood curling 20 minutes... put on the matching shoe, and rode the next train into the city. made it to the 21st floor where the meeting was being held... with 7 minutes to spare.

Did you ever have your whole life pass before your eyes in about an hour?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
At that point I tell my supervisor that I haven't been on the payroll for decades and challenge him to look it up!
This is in my restaurant work dreams, where I realize that not only am I working on weekends unnecessarily, but Dad has never paid me! Are we feeling unappreciated or what?
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
This is in my restaurant work dreams, where I realize that not only am I working on weekends unnecessarily, but Dad has never paid me! Are we feeling unappreciated or what?
It could be we are underappreciated or it could be something else. I have no clue as to interpreting this dream.

I just think it is hilarious that my subconscious mind has enough sense to tell upper management that I don't actually work there, I'm just hanging around with nothing to do. The look of surprise on their faces is priceless.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #36

I left work, went back and left again. I definitely had some serious nightmares when I went back. No doubt in my mind it was my subconscious telling me something pretty clearly.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Work dreams have become less frequent as the months and years have passed. But after 7+ years, I still have them occasionally - probably 2-3/year these days...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #38

5 years from w%*K.. several times I’ve dreamt that I was in my suit and tie at a business meeting...barefoot.. very awkward.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #39

I retired 7.5 years ago. I still have work related dreams. Usually the focus is on a former colleague or boss. Sometimes 2 are featured. Pretty random.

I also have the didn’t study not ready for the exam dreams, usually about my college days.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
Been FIRE'd for just over two years now. Over that time I have occasionally had dreams about working at my old job. Over the past few weeks however these dreams have become more frequent and seem to consistently focus on frustrating situations at work. Seems curious to me since I don't miss work AT ALL.

Any other FIRE's here have frequent dreams about their old job?

Yup. I’m only about 3 1/2 months in though. Had one last night...