Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After thinking about it, yes I did have a few dreams about work the first year after I retired. I can't even remember exactly what the dreams were about. I know it was about work,and the job I used to have ,so I quickly lost all the details.

That's been almost 3 years ago, and I don't experience those dreams anymore.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I have to make a 9:00 A.M presentation to about 30 top management people including Rawleigh Warner, President/CEO of Mobil that owned Montgomery Ward at the time. 1981, I think.
Am halfway into the city, when i look down and see that I have on one brown shoe, and one black shoe.
About 1987, a mentor came in dressed in the same shoes for a meeting with a SR. VP. He had just arrived home from a training facility where they emphasized thinking out of the box. He passed!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #43

Yes still have dreams of work. Still occasionally have dreams of the paper route i had when I was 10 years old.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #44

I'm two years FIRE'd and have occasionally had those work dreams, but the frequency has dropped off considerably in the last six months or so. Like others, I had that dream about the college exam coming up but I never went to class and can't find the room for the test, but not recently. However, my work dreams in retirement were similar, except I was on a business trip and couldn't find my clothes to pack for the return trip and couldn't find the airport.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #45

Dreams no, nightmares maybe.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI, technically dreams about w*rk are called nightmares.

(63 Days left to FIRE)
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
(FIRED June 2019)
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

^ yep! Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
I'm sitting here laughing because I didn't realize how common the missed classes, unprepared final exam college/university dream was. I have that dream a few times a year and I'm stressing out in my dream that I don't have my degree because I'm short credits.
I just retired 5 weeks ago, and recently had a variant of this dream. I was sweating it out that I had not gone to class all term (didnt even know which rooms the lectures were in) and that exams were coming up. I then realized that I had retired from a long engineering career, so I must have already graduated, so why was I worrying about these exams. Then I woke up.

I guess that combines the missed class, going back to work and retirement all in one dream!
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
FYI, technically dreams about w*rk are called nightmares.

(63 Days left to FIRE)

ABSOLUTELY , in my case

the REALLY ANNOYING part was those work nightmares were NEVER as bad as the next day's events .

i still have occasionally those nightmares .. but since i have been retired the next day is usually MUCH smoother

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #50

Jeez, I just dreamed last night that I was on a business trip surveying some building or other, and I was in the mechanical room barefoot without a hard hat. Another variation on a theme, tailored to a specific job as an engineer I guess.

I woke up and had another wonderful day, thanking my stars I don't have to go to work.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been retired since 2001 and still (occasionally) have dreams (actually nightmares) about work. The best part of these dreams is waking up and realizing it was just a dream. Guess it was such an important part of your life it never goes away from some corner of your brain.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #52
gone traveling

Whether you realized it at the time or not, some of those stressful work situations shook you to the core, but you were probably too busy at the time to dwell on, or heal from one before another came along.

Your brain is just finally processing through these days, and hopefully deleting them from memory.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Timely, Had one last night. So happy to wake up still retired.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #54

I now and then dream I'm back in the cockpit of the A-6 Intruder I flew off of carriers. I was the navigator and had to bring up all the comm and nav systems. So here I am in the dream and my pilot is asking me why the systems aren't up and that we are going to launch in 5 minutes. I know I haven't done it in 30 years and have no idea where any of the stuff is anymore and I get into an argument and he keeps insisting I get all of the systems going.

Man am I relieved when I wake up!! Too old to be doing that stuff anymore LOL
Old 04-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh my God I thought I was the only "crazy" one. For years as I worked I had the college nightmares...never attended class, couldn't find my schedule, finals approaching. Then 3 1/2 years ago I retired. NOT ONE COLLEGE DREAM.

Replaced by work dreams but from only a certain period from 1980-1993 when I was in the R&D center of a major corporation. Dreams are always similar, they put me in a remote location with an IBM 286 computer (remember those with expanded memory and floppy disks). I complain how can I get my work done with this equipment but nobody listens.

Well at least I seem to be getting straight A's on my college finals now.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

I am relieved to see how many people also have the dreams of being at college and being unprepared in some way. I have them occasionally and they include the same themes of not having enrolled in the right class or not having read the material or not having enough credits to graduate. I also occasionally show up to class completely naked and interestingly enough, I am usually not embarrassed but just annoyed that I forgot my clothes. 🤗 IRL I was actually a very good student who always wore clothes so where does this come from??

My most common dream though is being back to work as an RN and being VERY incompetent! I either don't know what procedure I am supposed to assist with or I haven't a clue how to care for a patient. Again, IRL I was pretty darned skilled and never recall feeling as overwhelmed at work as I do in my dreams. I always wake up with such a sense of relief that I am retired!
GlitterGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Whether you realized it at the time or not, some of those stressful work situations shook you to the core, but you were probably too busy at the time to dwell on, or heal from one before another came along.

Your brain is just finally processing through these days, and hopefully deleting them from memory.
+1
After 2 years of retirement, both school and office dreams have been some of my worst dreams. Weirdly, there are always people from different times of my life commingled. Kids from Chicago and Sunnyvale are in my dreams about TX adults or some version of that.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

I rarely dream about either work or school.

SCHOOL DREAMS:

The few dreams I have about school are never bad ones, though. I guess it's because I am one of those who (due to no particular expertise, brilliance, or valor) happen to "test well". That shows up mainly on standardized tests, but also seems to make a difference on my final exams. Added to having a slight edge due to testing well, is the fact that I am a bit of a perfectionist and study like a maniac, whether it is necessary or not.

Anyway, I don't worry about being underprepared for tests. I go in there with confidence in my level of preparation, and severe determination to power through the test, always. On the rare occasion when I dream about going to a final exam, it's with a feeling of VICTORY. I know I am prepared and at last I can nail it and put it behind me forever.

OK, there was ONCE (in real life, not a dream) when I was 17 minutes late for my Thermodynamics final exam because I had to pick my kid up after school and get her to an unfamiliar by-the-hour daycare place, which I never had done and hated having to do. At the time I had no choice for a variety of complicated reasons. Anyway, by the time I got to the exam building all the parking was gone. I had to park blocks away and run. So I was late, but you know what? The proctor gave me 17 minutes extra at the end of the final to make up for it, after he had collected everyone else's test. I never in the world expected that and it sure renewed my faith in humanity. I nailed that test too, so if I ever dream that I am late, I am still confident.

As for arriving naked..... nope, never dreamed of that! I can't even imagine.

WORK DREAMS:

Hardly ever dream about work, but if I do mostly it is just boring, hum-drum stuff. Sort of like work in real life. If anything catastrophic happens in the dream, I just say, "Sorry, you will have to handle this alone! Got to go!" and wake up. Good time to pull lucid dreaming skills into the mix.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired from the local Fire Department the same day I ER'd from work.

While working I had dreams about work, lots of them, I worked all night long.

Lately I've been having dreams about firefighting. I wake up in a cold sweat and think to myself "that really happened". Dreams about something that actually happened are much scarier than dreams about things that your mind makes up. They don't go away when you wake up.

I never had firefighting dreams during the 23 years I was on active duty, they didn't start til a couple years later.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I'm 13 months into retirement, not too bad with the work dreams. But I had a terrible two part, all night dream last night!

Dreamed I took an interview on a whim at some mystery company. They hired me on the spot and I started working immediately, for 2 hours.

Woke up the next morning (can you sleep in a dream?), had a commute (which sucked) and everything! Arrived at the campus and it was really some creepy guy's house where everyone worked in bedrooms and hallways. Bunch of nerds doing Linux kind of work in a sweatshop atmosphere. He then came over and started lecturing me about working hard and not using gmail for security reasons and things like that.

I woke up in a cold sweat.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote