Dreams about work

I never dream about past work experiences, or school ones for that matter. When I can remember my dreams, they seem to be about my times with old girlfriends. I don't know if there is a message there or not. :confused:

No dreams about work. Only about college. For many years. Most of them I was either late or naked. Not sure of the significance of the latter

At last we're gettin' somewhere! Keep 'em coming!

I never dream about past work experiences, or school ones for that matter. When I can remember my dreams, they seem to be about my times with old girlfriends.

No dreams about work. Only about college. For many years. Most of them I was either late or naked. Not sure of the significance of the latter

:popcorn:

The college dreams are the ones that got me. It wasn’t that I didn’t know I was enrolled in a course but that I never attended and finals rolled around.

yep I seem to have that one a few times a year. The work dream happens about 2 or 3 times in the past year. Not a bad dream just weird. I think we are normal.

I'm sitting here laughing because I didn't realize how common the missed classes, unprepared final exam college/university dream was. I have that dream a few times a year and I'm stressing out in my dream that I don't have my degree because I'm short credits. :LOL:

I also have dreams about work but I'm still working. I don't dream about work that often, though I had one this morning about getting ready for a presentation and not having the info I needed.
Common theme I guess: Freaking out about being prepared.

Oh boy. Dreams about former jobs.

I left megacorp 29 years ago to start my own business. I have dreams about working at megacorp about once every two weeks. The dreams have a common theme--I'm not doing anything at my job. Just walking around talking to people, looking at stuff, sitting in at meetings, asking for projects, sometimes begging my supervisor for work.

I've even had performance reviews where I get average or bad reviews. At that point I tell my supervisor that I haven't been on the payroll for decades and challenge him to look it up! So how can you give me a bad review?! Now give me something to do, I'm sick of walking around trying to look busy!

Drives me crazy having these dreams. You'd think they'd stop. At least they don't happen every couple of nights or even once a week like they used to happen.

Meanwhile, I rarely have dreams about my own business.

I probably shared this before, but at least once a year, this recurring dream about when I worked in Chicago and took the train from Lisle. 7:30 AM and jeanie drives me to the train. I have to make a 9:00 A.M presentation to about 30 top management people including Rawleigh Warner, President/CEO of Mobil that owned Montgomery Ward at the time. 1981, I think.
Am halfway into the city, when i look down and see that I have on one brown shoe, and one black shoe.
Jumped off the train, called jeanie to meet me at that station.... a blood curling 20 minutes... put on the matching shoe, and rode the next train into the city. made it to the 21st floor where the meeting was being held... with 7 minutes to spare.

Did you ever have your whole life pass before your eyes in about an hour?

Last edited:
At that point I tell my supervisor that I haven't been on the payroll for decades and challenge him to look it up!

This is in my restaurant work dreams, where I realize that not only am I working on weekends unnecessarily, but Dad has never paid me! Are we feeling unappreciated or what?

This is in my restaurant work dreams, where I realize that not only am I working on weekends unnecessarily, but Dad has never paid me! Are we feeling unappreciated or what?

It could be we are underappreciated or it could be something else. I have no clue as to interpreting this dream.

I just think it is hilarious that my subconscious mind has enough sense to tell upper management that I don't actually work there, I'm just hanging around with nothing to do. The look of surprise on their faces is priceless.

I left work, went back and left again. I definitely had some serious nightmares when I went back. No doubt in my mind it was my subconscious telling me something pretty clearly.

Work dreams have become less frequent as the months and years have passed. But after 7+ years, I still have them occasionally - probably 2-3/year these days...

5 years from w%*K.. several times I’ve dreamt that I was in my suit and tie at a business meeting...barefoot.. very awkward.

I retired 7.5 years ago. I still have work related dreams. Usually the focus is on a former colleague or boss. Sometimes 2 are featured. Pretty random.

I also have the didn’t study not ready for the exam dreams, usually about my college days.

Been FIRE'd for just over two years now. Over that time I have occasionally had dreams about working at my old job. Over the past few weeks however these dreams have become more frequent and seem to consistently focus on frustrating situations at work. Seems curious to me since I don't miss work AT ALL.

Any other FIRE's here have frequent dreams about their old job?

Yup. I’m only about 3 1/2 months in though. Had one last night...

After thinking about it, yes I did have a few dreams about work the first year after I retired. I can't even remember exactly what the dreams were about. I know it was about work,and the job I used to have ,so I quickly lost all the details.

That's been almost 3 years ago, and I don't experience those dreams anymore.

I have to make a 9:00 A.M presentation to about 30 top management people including Rawleigh Warner, President/CEO of Mobil that owned Montgomery Ward at the time. 1981, I think.
Am halfway into the city, when i look down and see that I have on one brown shoe, and one black shoe.

About 1987, a mentor came in dressed in the same shoes for a meeting with a SR. VP. He had just arrived home from a training facility where they emphasized thinking out of the box. He passed!

Yes still have dreams of work. Still occasionally have dreams of the paper route i had when I was 10 years old.

I'm two years FIRE'd and have occasionally had those work dreams, but the frequency has dropped off considerably in the last six months or so. Like others, I had that dream about the college exam coming up but I never went to class and can't find the room for the test, but not recently. However, my work dreams in retirement were similar, except I was on a business trip and couldn't find my clothes to pack for the return trip and couldn't find the airport.

^ yep! Lol

I'm sitting here laughing because I didn't realize how common the missed classes, unprepared final exam college/university dream was. I have that dream a few times a year and I'm stressing out in my dream that I don't have my degree because I'm short credits. :LOL:

I just retired 5 weeks ago, and recently had a variant of this dream. I was sweating it out that I had not gone to class all term (didnt even know which rooms the lectures were in) and that exams were coming up. I then realized that I had retired from a long engineering career, so I must have already graduated, so why was I worrying about these exams. Then I woke up.

I guess that combines the missed class, going back to work and retirement all in one dream!:LOL::LOL:

FYI, technically dreams about w*rk are called nightmares.

(63 Days left to FIRE)

ABSOLUTELY , in my case

the REALLY ANNOYING part was those work nightmares were NEVER as bad as the next day's events .

i still have occasionally those nightmares .. but since i have been retired the next day is usually MUCH smoother

Jeez, I just dreamed last night that I was on a business trip surveying some building or other, and I was in the mechanical room barefoot without a hard hat. Another variation on a theme, tailored to a specific job as an engineer I guess.

I woke up and had another wonderful day, thanking my stars I don't have to go to work.

Back
Top Bottom