DRINKERs (Dual Retirement Income No-Kids Early Retirement)

Kroeran

Full time employment: Posting here.
Looking for a discussion with DRINKERS (we are pre-DRINKER, but only slightly).

Looking for words of encouragement or foreboding from 60-80+ year old DRINKERs.

Advice?

What a let down. Oh well.........
img_874202_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

:clap:Or SINKERS Single Income No Kids (at home) Early Retirement? There are some of us although smaller in number we have been very resourceful.

Hmmm, I guess DH and I are PINKERS....pension income no kids early retired. :blush:

Advice?
Not sure about the dual income. Does that mean two income streams are coming in somehow? Dual pensions?

We are a couple no kids, but we are living off one retirement portfolio - investments only, no pension.

Whatever - what kind of advice is needed? Oh nevermind - we're too young - we're only in our 50s (just barely). Guess we're not seasoned enough to give advice on this. ;)

Audrey

I suppose that makes me and DW SINKERS, although that may change if she gets a job. We can do fine on just the pension income and our budget is set up that way, and we did all right on that for five years. The bulk of the income from the job I have now is going into savings/investments although we do splurge a little more often than we would if I wasn't working.

She just applied for a budget technician position with the park service. If she gets it she would be eligible for a small pension after three years from prior government service.

I'm gonna be a STINKER. Suburban two income no kids early retiree. Two incomes is better than one, then I'd be an OINKER.

This is a NO KIDs thread, so I don't belong...........:)

I'm laughing because kids should not have any effect on whether you retire early or not. They should not have any effect on whether you save up enough money for retirement or not. If they do happen to have an effect, perhaps too much money is being spent on them and cutting back is in order.

We can't qualify as DRINKERS but we are SMOKER's. (Spending Money On Kids Early Retired)

I'm laughing because kids should not have any effect on whether you retire early or not. They should not have any effect on whether you save up enough money for retirement or not. If they do happen to have an effect, perhaps too much money is being spent on them and cutting back is in order.

Are you kidding ?

Okay, we qualify: unmarried couple (17 years), no kids, almost-60 and 61, trying/planning to retire soon. No pensions, just savings and we split the household expenses :) Can't think up a better acronym than the ones suggested above! Sounds like an interesting discussion thread.

Now CARS, on the other hand, can really delay your retirement! And to read the threads on classic cars that we have occasionally here on the forum, one might conclude that cutting back on an expensive classic car habit is simply impossible. :D

Only other DRINKER here, it seems.

Advice?

Advice? On what?

Children could be one leg of a retirement plan but I don't know the actuarial value or return on investment. That's the only thing I can think of that is different from everyone else here. I doubt if they have ever done that calculation either as they seem to not factor the kids in as a retirement investment. Oh, you probably don't have to put spoiling grandchildren in the retirement budget and plans.

Kidding aside, we are almost DRINKERs. I am 60 and still working. My husband is 63 and retired last July. We will have two pensions, SS and our savings to live on. I may retire at the end of 2010 when I turn 62.

But still, what is on your mind about this aspect of retirement?

Well, we bought a rental property from a couple who had been, in essence, abandoned by their 3 kids who lived about 1,500 miles away. The man was 91, his wife was 85 and in poor health, and they were moving to an assisted-living facility. We heard later that the 91-year-old man attempted to moved their belongings himself, because they had no friends to help them, the 3 kids didn't help, and the couple did not want/did not have the $$ to pay movers. The neighbors from whom we heard this sad story, felt "guilted" into helping the couple move.

So, if kids are one leg of your retirement plan, be sure it's a sturdy one. Or have neighbors who are susceptible to guilt.

Amethyst

Well, we bought a rental property from a couple who had been, in essence, abandoned by their 3 kids who lived about 1,500 miles away. The man was 91, his wife was 85 and in poor health, and they were moving to an assisted-living facility. We heard later that the 91-year-old man attempted to moved their belongings himself, because they had no friends to help them, the 3 kids didn't help, and the couple did not want/did not have the $$ to pay movers. The neighbors from whom we heard this sad story, felt "guilted" into helping the couple move.

So, if kids are one leg of your retirement plan, be sure it's a sturdy one. Or have neighbors who are susceptible to guilt.

Amethyst

Or make sure you have the resources to fund a really, really nice assisted living facility(some are like B & B's, my uncle was in one). One where you can bring a pet or two, have a menu for meal choices, private rooms available, cocktail hour, etc. This is what I plan to do. No way would I depend on my son(whom I love dearly, don't want to burden him). I just have to hope I have my wits about me when the time comes. I do have some excellent friends, too, who are more precious to me than pearls.

Advice? On what?

Children could be one leg of a retirement plan but I don't know the actuarial value or return on investment. That's the only thing I can think of that is different from everyone else here. I doubt if they have ever done that calculation either as they seem to not factor the kids in as a retirement investment. Oh, you probably don't have to put spoiling grandchildren in the retirement budget and plans.

Kidding aside, we are almost DRINKERs. I am 60 and still working. My husband is 63 and retired last July. We will have two pensions, SS and our savings to live on. I may retire at the end of 2010 when I turn 62.

But still, what is on your mind about this aspect of retirement?

the view I adopted very young was that the woman should decide on children and how many. My wife never wanted children, and I was ok with that.

we have been very close to our neices, who are in and out a couple of times a week, using our house which is close to their colleges, but they are now settling into serious boyfriends, and are drifting away, as predicted.

what does it feel like to be 60 or 70, with time on your hands, without the occupation/distraction/satisfaction of children or grandchildren to talk about, talk to, complain about?

regrets?

I did read about a study many years ago that found money was more important than offspring, for happiness in old age...wonder if that is true?

looking for insights from the childfree who are a bit further along the path than me...so I can properly prepare.

Another 3 martini lunch, hey?? :LOL::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom