E-Bike

becca

Recycles dryer sheets
DH and I just purchased e-bikes. So much fun and more enjoyable than riding our regular bikes. We live in a hilly area and riding these new bikes around here are a breeze. They are not cheap but we figured we are not spending $ on vacations, eating out, etc. so why not spend on something we can use and enjoy during our "confinement". I'm starting to see a lot of them around.

What ever keeps you on the bike. I'm in my 70s now and see one in my future. I'm keeping an eye on developments. On my last trip to Italy they were all over the place.

I am 67, DH is 73, I think the e-bikes will keep us riding for a while longer.

DH and I just purchased e-bikes. So much fun and more enjoyable than riding our regular bikes. We live in a hilly area and riding these new bikes around here are a breeze. They are not cheap but we figured we are not spending $ on vacations, eating out, etc. so why not spend on something we can use and enjoy during our "confinement". I'm starting to see a lot of them around.

Great idea as an alternative to travel. I've rented them at times (bikeshare) and they are nice for assist on hills if anything.

I got an ebike a couple of weeks ago. I ride it every 2 or 3 days. I’ve put 130 miles on it already. Great fun!

I just sent my buddy - who owns a bike shop - a note asking for him to hook me up with one. I like biking, but hate the hills. I’m 54 - and in good shape - but the hills suck the fun out of it for me.

The owner of the bike store where we bought our bikes told us he has been in business since 1972 and he has sold more bikes in the last 4 months than any other time he has had the shop.

Last edited:
I'm a bit younger.. still riding an '82 raleigh
10 speed ...better exercise without a motor

...better exercise without a motor

True.

Here's a comparison between my e-bike and my Trek hybrid (no motor)

ebike:
21 mi
18 mph avg
89 heart beats/minute avg

Trek:
28 mi
9 mph avg
111 heart beats/minute avg

So I ride the ebike twice as fast as my conventional bike, but with 22 less heart beats per minute (20% less)

Also my running bpm ranges from 120 to 160
My hiking bpm is around 100 on flat ground

For me, my ebike is less cardio than a conventional bike, far less cardio than running per minute and even a little less than hiking on level ground

DW and I have been ebiking regularly for the past 10 years. She has a pink SUN beach cruiser with a front hub motor and I have an original Currie Tech. rear motor chain drive probably 20 years old. Total investment less than $500 total fun, priceless. Occasional battery replacement comes with the territory. We’re both pushing 70. Crazy prices now, but new designs and improved battery technology are appealing.

And now finally street legal in NY!

The owner of the bike store where we bought our bikes told us he has been in business since 1972 and he has sold more bikes in the last 4 months than any other time he has had the shop.

I believe it. Ever since rona the bona I have put a ton of miles on my bike. Especially WFH I can go on a quick 10mile ride over lunch and nobody cares.

Ebikes are fun, neighbor let me try his. He is about 25 years older than me. I liked the sensation of the assisted pedaling...it was great excitement and sort of breathed a new variable into bike riding. I could imagine riding on snow with one of those fat tires, or unicycling for the first time are kinda similar but different.

There's a local bunch of mountain bikers that show up for a group ride every week (or at least did pre-COVID). Age range is from 40s-70s and some have been going on these group rides for 30+ years. One day a couple of years ago a 70-ish rider I hadn't seen for a year or so shows with an e-MTB. It turns out he'd had a heart attack and been given strict instructions about keeping his heart rate below a certain level. MTB around here is hilly and that seemed to spell the end of his favorite hobby.

That day he was just riding around like everybody else - no faster, no slower, but doing it without straining his heart. Toward the end of the ride I did a hill climb with him and chatted with him at the top. He felt the e-MTB had given him his life back. I was kind of agnostic about e-bikes before that, but became a believer that day. For now I still prefer to suffer on my hills, but when I can't anymore I'm sure there'll be an e-MTB in my future.

Any problems with them being too heavy or going faster than you’d like? We have talked about getting them when we get an RV but I’m not a confident bike rider now (especially downhills and sandy / slippery terrain on my hybrid)

Any problems with them being too heavy or going faster than you’d like? We have talked about getting them when we get an RV but I’m not a confident bike rider now (especially downhills and sandy / slippery terrain on my hybrid)

My ebike weighs 46.5 lbs. Light for an ebike, but heavy compared to conventional bikes. The heaviness only causes problems if I don't use the motor for assist, or if the battery goes dead when I have several more miles to go. Pedaling my bike several miles without motor assist would be difficult.

I average about 18 mph on my ebike and 9 on my conventional bike. IMO, the extra speed is not a problem. I have 9 speeds and 3 levels of motorized pedal assist. I normally ride at gear 7, pedal assist medium. When I want to go slower, I'll gear down to around gear 5 and go to the lowest pedal assist. Quite comfortable riding 7-8 mph with my wife using the lower settings.

Back
Top Bottom