Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My personal experience of air pollution, not of Ecuador, is that living in a huge city in a bowl in a sunny place usually means bad air.
Mexico City cough cough.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Mexico City cough cough.
Yes, my friend worked there for time and he says it is the only place he felt worse than in Quito. I first went ot Mexico City in 1964, and it was wonderful. Over time it changed as did many other Latin Cities. During this same time much of the US got better air.

Ha
Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yes, my friend worked there for time and he says it is the only place he felt worse than in Quito. I first went ot Mexico City in 1964, and it was wonderful. Over time it changed as did many other Latin Cities. During this same time much of the US got better air.

Ha
I spent a week and a half there back around 2000. I had a sore throat the first 3-4 days until I got used to the thick smog. Mucus turned black from inhaling all that particulate matter. Otherwise a nice city (in a New York City kind of way).
Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I spent a week and a half there back around 2000. I had a sore throat the first 3-4 days until I got used to the thick smog. Mucus turned black from inhaling all that particulate matter. Otherwise a nice city (in a New York City kind of way).
DW had to go to PV when she lived in DF because FIL could not handle the air in Mexico City. It was carry an oxygen bottle or get away from the air.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #65

When we were in Bangkok in 2000, the air was so bad that the tuk-tuk drivers wore masks:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pollution control in bangkok.jpg (63.3 KB, 2 views)

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I still consider the Quito air about the worst I have ever encountered, although it was my first trip to a developing country so maybe I would think differently now. Actually, the worst air up to now is in Chiang Mai during the fire season but before the rainy season, generally all of March. It is almost 100 degrees daily, horrible air quality and visibility. The degree varies by year. The rest of the year the air in Chiang Mai is great. I researched wearing masks and almost bought one, but they really don't do that much good, as near as I can tell.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, you really haven't sucked down diesel fumes until you've walked through Quito.
Add the 10,000 ft+ to the air pollution and us sea-level folks gasp like fish out of water.

I also liked how the buses and big trucks have their exhaust pipes right about 3 feet off the ground and pointed at the sidewalks, so when they stop or start a giant black plume gushes out to smother the pedestrians on the street. It was a nice touch.

And let's not even get started on the way buildings are built -- I shudder to think of what will become of our family there when another earthquake hits.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
What about the volcano fumes and ash?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes I think it is was you get used to. I lived in Mexico City for 2 years in the 1990s and whilst I noticed it was polluted, I never felt that it meant I couldn't walk the streets.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Sometimes I think it is was you get used to. I lived in Mexico City for 2 years in the 1990s and whilst I noticed it was polluted, I never felt that it meant I couldn't walk the streets.
After a few days my sinuses got used to the air. And we were outside a lot walking around as tourists, so it was probably worse for us being so close to the streets and the key source of the pollution. Indoor air quality is probably a lot better in el DF.