Ecuador or Bust

Hobo sounds as if you are very happy and that is what counts.
I can assure most living like the locals or on a rigid budget can be very
trying if not down right painful. The locals do not really want you to be
a local and more appreciate your wealth as a foreigner, I am sure many
may disagree. I have heard many comments from locals that cannot wait to
voice their opinion about the foreign guy that lives like a local.
Best thing to do would be to remember your foreign status no matter who
or how much you have helped them out and keep the ability to be mobile.
There is really no great paradise from what I've encounterd through the years
and home will always be the country where I grew up. Keep it all in perspective
and maybe understand why we cannot purchase land in our own names in most
of these places even if it is just a house to live. The cards are stacked against
you on most instances and you may not be afforded the same laws the locals
enjoy without giving up some cash.

wcv56 - It sounds like you have had some recent problems living overseas. You are right, there is no such thing as a true paradise - including living in the US. Perhaps your experiences and mine are fundamentally different. Many very specific places in the world are just overflowing with expats. I think the population of Bali, Indonesia is 25% foreigners. That, in itself, tells me it is ripe for problems. When you get a heavy mixture of rich foreigners and poor locals, conditions are ripe for all sorts of scams and rip-offs. I hear the same thing has happened in parts of Costa Rica and in Baja California, Mexico.

I chose to live in a place which is popular only because of the good surfing. I'm not sure what you mean by "living like a local", but no foreigner here wants to in a grass and bamboo shack. Yet, no one lives in opulent luxury either. My house is roughly equivalent to the houses of some of the successful businessmen in town. Nothing ostentatious, but I do have satellite TV, room air conditioning and hot water.

I always remember that I am a guest in a foreign country and try avoid any situations which would cause trouble. I am not setting up any businesses that are in competition with the locals, nor do I speak badly of anyone. I have paid for some very sick children to go the hospital and also for some smart kids to go to high school or college. But on the whole, I keep my distance from most locals. I keep all of my financial and charitable affairs as closely guarded secrets.

Finally, if I do run into any conflicts (of which there have been several), I alway settle up quickly with a little extra cash - and never allow matters to escalate to the point were the local police, courts or immigration get involved. In my mind, I am glad to give up some extra cash to prevent a situation from turning ugly.

Sometimes I wish the same system were in place in the US. I have been to court civil court four times in the US and the cost is outrageous - and nobody is ever happy.

I've been pretty busy lately and was surprised at all the interesting posts. Concerning Filipinas using whitening cream...besides the European influence, Chinese Filipinos, who also are of lighter complexion than the majority who are of Malay stock, have dominated the economy for generations. The Chinese minorities in every Southeast Asian country tend to do well financially and in the Philippines contribute to the belief that lighter complexions are associated with wealth.

I once read of an expat in the Philippines who said when he visited family in Houston he was treated like a nobody. But in his neighborhood in the Philippines he's treated with great respect. He's "Tio Henry", or Uncle Henry there. Everyone says hi, asks how he's doing, asks for his opinion on many subjects. It's easy to be cynical about motives, but you may find that people who aren't wealthy in material things often are very happy anyways. In many countries, certainly in the Phils, family is everything. And once you're in the family, you have alot of people looking out for you. I guess it's why tens of thousands of white men are very happily living in the Philippines.

Concerning Social Security and dependants...when you start taking Social Security and have underage dependants, they are each entitled to a payment equal to half your full Social Security payment, even if you took the early retirement option at 62. They will receive this payment until they are 18, 19 if they are still in high school. The college extension has been discontinued. And one family can receive a maximum total amount equal to 180% of the retiree's maximum benefit. For example, you retire at 62, receive $1000 a month. For example's sake say your full payment at 66 would have been $1400 and you have 2 young kids. They get $700 each until 18, payable to you until they're 16, then directly to them until 18. So your $1000 plus their payments equals $2400 a month. 180% of $1400 equals $2520 so your family's total payment is under the threshold. If you have 3 kids the max in this example would be $2520 with each child getting a smaller payment. According to the Social Security website half a million minor dependants of retired and deceased parents, as well as guardians like grandparents, receive payments. And the child born overseas with at least one American citizen parent is an American citizen too and entitled to assistance. But, and I'm not 100% clear on this but pretty certain, if you marry a non-American she must live in the U.S. a certain amount of time as at least a legal resident, I believe it's 5 years, before she'd be eligible for benefits off of your Social Security.

In light of current economic realities dependant benefits may be reduced in the future, but it's good to know that assistance is available and in countries like Ecuador that much extra can make a big difference in a family's quality of life.

Regards,
Wade

I think you will find it quite universal, at least in Asia, that white skin is associated with beauty. I live in Indonesia, and the slightest difference in skin color can in men and women can influence their ability to find a boyfriend/ girlfriend. Even young women that look very attractive to me with their "Polynesian sweet chocolate" skin color have openly admitted that their skin color significantly decreases their attractiveness in the eyes of local men. They are amazed to hear that American women lie out in the sun to get a sun tan. I recently read in the book " Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade" that whiter skin seems to be naturally more attractive to most humans. Over the years, genetics and natural selection seem to have favored light colored skin.

Most women have very little body hair (except pubic hair). Consequently, they never need to shave. If a woman does have some hair on her legs, local men find it very sexy!

Living in a foreign culture can really open a whole new world for any retiree who has grown tired of television, cocktail parties, and answering machines. Globalization is quickly causing the demise of local cultural traditions - which is sad. However, you can still travel to places where life is very different than it is in Western countries. Every day can be a new discovery. Personally, I find it delays the on-set of old age.

Just today, I had lunch with an attractive 18 year old young woman - a nursing student. She told me how here mother had been born into a high class family (ie, noble blood). But the mother chose to marry a man from the lower class. That was cause for her mother to be expelled from her native village. Consequently, the young woman had completely lost contact with the mother's side of her family. Loosing family links means loosing a lot of much needed support in times of trouble. All very strange, but interesting to me. I hear these kind of stories almost every day.

Thanks for your rundown on the Social Security laws - very helpful to me. I may just have another baby to collect an extra $800 per month!

Just today, I had lunch with an attractive 18 year old young woman - a nursing student.!

That alone should tell us that life for single older men in Southeast Asia, and many other places, is very different from the U.S.!

I noticed today that the Dollar has gained considerably this week against many currencies. Mexican and Chilean Pesos especially. There may be a silver lining for those with American Dollars in this global downturn. I've seen reports lately of American couples living well in Ecuador on $600 a month and at the rate the Mexican Peso has dropped this week that may well be true there soon.

Regards,
Wade

I understand the Phillipines are pretty inexpensive to live in, and might be a good pick if you want to marry a filipino. I've no traveled in the Phillipines yet, but have been in Malaysia and Indonesia, plus many friends from the Phillipines.

Just can't figure out why the desire to move to South America with an Asian wife when the Phillipines are really such a bargan for a North American.

I understand the Phillipines are pretty inexpensive to live in, and might be a good pick if you want to marry a filipino. I've no traveled in the Phillipines yet, but have been in Malaysia and Indonesia, plus many friends from the Phillipines.

Just can't figure out why the desire to move to South America with an Asian wife when the Phillipines are really such a bargan for a North American.

Quite a few reasons actually. Better climate, less crowded, comparable cost of living, closer to the States, less red tape, can buy a house there if not married to a citizen, significant discounts for 65+ seniors, no large Muslim minority, no communist insurgency, no city comparable to Quito or Cuenca, no typhoons and probably a few others I can't think of right off. The Philippines has wonderful diving, and only Thailand is comparable when it comes to partying if that's your thing. I can also get Directv in Ecuador with most of the English language channels. Right now the Philippines Peso is falling against the Dollar and it may again be such a good value that I'd overlook the negatives. If so I would move to Dumaguete, which has a pretty good quality of life. Alot of Filipinas are of mixed ancestry, Malay, Chinese, American, Spanish, other European. I find them very attractive, and being English speaking, Christian, and willing to marry an older man makes them unique. Millions of them are working around the world so it's not a stretch to ask one to come to Ecuador with me.
Regards.

No, I'm not running from anybody - but this is a great place to hide if you don't want to be found.

You are right, some expats from foreign countries can be irritating, just like some of the locals. In a way, living in a country which allows in so many people from so many other countries makes life much more interesting. It makes me feel like I am part of the whole world.

Its all a matter of preference. You can live to play golf, I live to be surrounded by beautiful girls. Your hobby probably costs the same as mine. As you said, its all what standards you perceive as important enough for a suitable quality of life. I wouldn't live in shack in any country. But, for me, I'll gladly trade the golf course, the taxes, the cost of owning and operating a car, and a lot of government intrusion that I are common in the US for the freedom and cheap cost of living I can find in Indonesia.

Now please excuse me while I drink my fruit smoothie that my maid just served me at my computer.

You don't by any chance owe money on some student loans do you?

I had one good and one not so good filipino g/f before marrying a Malaysian. Many filipino friends - nothing wrong with them at all :) I kind of like exotic and sexy, and I suspect you could do a lot worse relocating one of them to Ecuador :)

And for wildcat - Indonesia rocks! I paid just $25 a night including breakfast for 2 to stay in a 4 star resort on Lumbuk. It is such an interesting culture and incrediable people. You make me want to go back right now.

Here's the blog of the couple that were attacked in Ecuador recently.

sudamerica adventure

Here's a CNN article where I first heard about it.

Americans brutally attacked in Ecuador, officials say - CNN.com

Anyway, if you're traveling there, be sure to steer clear of the Northern border near Colombia. Same goes for the border area between Panama and Colombia.

Just thought this may be of interest, not intended to scare anyone as these things can happen anywhere.

Here's the blog of the couple that were attacked in Ecuador recently.

sudamerica adventure

The guy across the hall from me is upper middle-class Euro-Ecuadorean. He is trying to get his mother and father up here. He has married an American woman and plans to stay.

In my years on this board I have learned that people do not like to have their assumptions or dreams questioned. Some have a map of reality that severely crops what is out there. For an example, go back and read what various posters thought were the limits to what might possibly happen to the stocks that we depend on, before it started happening. I did the same thing; I thought GE was safe 10 points ago. :p

Same with travel, especially when living in a dirt cheap and perhaps exotic place has become a kind of grail for them.

I agree that one can get beat up anywhere. But I'd rather take my chances in Minneapolis than in Quito. :)

Ha

What a hideous attack. The CNN article doesn't say what exactly happened or where. I'd be curious.

Anyway, I was in Educador with a tour group and I still felt very uncomfortable. I thought it was grim, unhappy, hostile place. I know that lots of people love the country though.

In contrast, I LOVED Peru which has a really beautiful atmosphere with happy, friendly people. Ditto Costa Rica.

I did note that their insurance is giving them a hard time about paying out...this was my big fear about buying insurance for our last trip.
Thanks for the link to the blog. What a horrible experience for these folks!

I did note that their insurance is giving them a hard time about paying out...this was my big fear about buying insurance for our last trip.
Thanks for the link to the blog. What a horrible experience for these folks!

I don't understand why they would cancel their US health insurance because they would be gone for only 10 months. If you were never coming back, that's one thing, but for what seems to have been just an extended holiday, you'd think you'd keep it. Hard to get it again once you cancel it I would think. At least they did have some type of travel insurance, but I'd be more worried about the ongoing bills in the US than I would about paying up overseas.

Trek, short term policies are hard to come by. Most in US are covered by workplace policies, not private ones.
When we were leaving for 4 months, we got a short term policy by Fortis that I am sure would have been extremely lousy on the claims front. I imagine they figured on resuming health insurance when they got jobs after returning to the US.

Yeah, makes sense. I guess I was reading the line she wrote "we had discontinued our US health insurance", so I assumed they voluntarily canceled it and didn't lose it when they quit their jobs.

And really, what are the odds you're going to get stabbed 24 times on vacation. I went years without health insurance when I was young too.

Back
Top Bottom