Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #81
Confused about dryer sheets

I understand the Phillipines are pretty inexpensive to live in, and might be a good pick if you want to marry a filipino. I've no traveled in the Phillipines yet, but have been in Malaysia and Indonesia, plus many friends from the Phillipines.

Just can't figure out why the desire to move to South America with an Asian wife when the Phillipines are really such a bargan for a North American.
legacypac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacypac View Post
I understand the Phillipines are pretty inexpensive to live in, and might be a good pick if you want to marry a filipino. I've no traveled in the Phillipines yet, but have been in Malaysia and Indonesia, plus many friends from the Phillipines.

Just can't figure out why the desire to move to South America with an Asian wife when the Phillipines are really such a bargan for a North American.
Quite a few reasons actually. Better climate, less crowded, comparable cost of living, closer to the States, less red tape, can buy a house there if not married to a citizen, significant discounts for 65+ seniors, no large Muslim minority, no communist insurgency, no city comparable to Quito or Cuenca, no typhoons and probably a few others I can't think of right off. The Philippines has wonderful diving, and only Thailand is comparable when it comes to partying if that's your thing. I can also get Directv in Ecuador with most of the English language channels. Right now the Philippines Peso is falling against the Dollar and it may again be such a good value that I'd overlook the negatives. If so I would move to Dumaguete, which has a pretty good quality of life. Alot of Filipinas are of mixed ancestry, Malay, Chinese, American, Spanish, other European. I find them very attractive, and being English speaking, Christian, and willing to marry an older man makes them unique. Millions of them are working around the world so it's not a stretch to ask one to come to Ecuador with me.
Regards.
AlmostThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacypac View Post
I understand the Phillipines are pretty inexpensive to live in, and might be a good pick if you want to marry a filipino.
Or even a Filipina, if you lean that way.

Ha
Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
No, I'm not running from anybody - but this is a great place to hide if you don't want to be found.

You are right, some expats from foreign countries can be irritating, just like some of the locals. In a way, living in a country which allows in so many people from so many other countries makes life much more interesting. It makes me feel like I am part of the whole world.

Its all a matter of preference. You can live to play golf, I live to be surrounded by beautiful girls. Your hobby probably costs the same as mine. As you said, its all what standards you perceive as important enough for a suitable quality of life. I wouldn't live in shack in any country. But, for me, I'll gladly trade the golf course, the taxes, the cost of owning and operating a car, and a lot of government intrusion that I are common in the US for the freedom and cheap cost of living I can find in Indonesia.

Now please excuse me while I drink my fruit smoothie that my maid just served me at my computer.
You don't by any chance owe money on some student loans do you?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #85
Confused about dryer sheets

I had one good and one not so good filipino g/f before marrying a Malaysian. Many filipino friends - nothing wrong with them at all I kind of like exotic and sexy, and I suspect you could do a lot worse relocating one of them to Ecuador

And for wildcat - Indonesia rocks! I paid just $25 a night including breakfast for 2 to stay in a 4 star resort on Lumbuk. It is such an interesting culture and incrediable people. You make me want to go back right now.
legacypac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's the blog of the couple that were attacked in Ecuador recently.

sudamerica adventure

Here's a CNN article where I first heard about it.

Americans brutally attacked in Ecuador, officials say - CNN.com

Anyway, if you're traveling there, be sure to steer clear of the Northern border near Colombia. Same goes for the border area between Panama and Colombia.

Just thought this may be of interest, not intended to scare anyone as these things can happen anywhere.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Here's the blog of the couple that were attacked in Ecuador recently.

sudamerica adventure
The guy across the hall from me is upper middle-class Euro-Ecuadorean. He is trying to get his mother and father up here. He has married an American woman and plans to stay.

In my years on this board I have learned that people do not like to have their assumptions or dreams questioned. Some have a map of reality that severely crops what is out there. For an example, go back and read what various posters thought were the limits to what might possibly happen to the stocks that we depend on, before it started happening. I did the same thing; I thought GE was safe 10 points ago.

Same with travel, especially when living in a dirt cheap and perhaps exotic place has become a kind of grail for them.

I agree that one can get beat up anywhere. But I'd rather take my chances in Minneapolis than in Quito.

Ha
Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What a hideous attack. The CNN article doesn't say what exactly happened or where. I'd be curious.

Anyway, I was in Educador with a tour group and I still felt very uncomfortable. I thought it was grim, unhappy, hostile place. I know that lots of people love the country though.

In contrast, I LOVED Peru which has a really beautiful atmosphere with happy, friendly people. Ditto Costa Rica.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I did note that their insurance is giving them a hard time about paying out...this was my big fear about buying insurance for our last trip.
Thanks for the link to the blog. What a horrible experience for these folks!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I did note that their insurance is giving them a hard time about paying out...this was my big fear about buying insurance for our last trip.
Thanks for the link to the blog. What a horrible experience for these folks!
I don't understand why they would cancel their US health insurance because they would be gone for only 10 months. If you were never coming back, that's one thing, but for what seems to have been just an extended holiday, you'd think you'd keep it. Hard to get it again once you cancel it I would think. At least they did have some type of travel insurance, but I'd be more worried about the ongoing bills in the US than I would about paying up overseas.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Trek, short term policies are hard to come by. Most in US are covered by workplace policies, not private ones.
When we were leaving for 4 months, we got a short term policy by Fortis that I am sure would have been extremely lousy on the claims front. I imagine they figured on resuming health insurance when they got jobs after returning to the US.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #92

Yeah, makes sense. I guess I was reading the line she wrote "we had discontinued our US health insurance", so I assumed they voluntarily canceled it and didn't lose it when they quit their jobs.

And really, what are the odds you're going to get stabbed 24 times on vacation. I went years without health insurance when I was young too.