Electric cordless SP lawnmower

Mad about my EGO

Does that make me an Egomaniac?
I have a fairly big lot with a meadow that requires use of a DR brush mower, but the EGO cuts the shorter lawn grass around my house. Honestly it is the best, lightest and easiest mower I've ever owned. Perfect for my needs and a breeze to handle. Whole heartedly recommend it ������

I went to Home Depot and bought a Ryobi 40 V battery operated mower and I’m going on my third season. I have about a third of an acre not counting my house and swimming pool so I probably cut slightly less than a quarter of an acre. I did buy the 40 V Ryobi blower to give me an extra battery. I have no problems cutting the whole lawn and blowing it all off now. I was able to buy the lawnmower for $259.

Last edited:
I have a condo with a small backyard that I just bought. I’m planning to buy a manual push mower until the robot mowers come down in price.

Our gas powered lawnmower is dying a slow, painful death and is barely useable. Granted, we did not get it sharpened this year, as we were thinking of replacing it. And we went from brown lawn to insanely thick green lawn in the past 2 weeks.

We're looking at purchasing either an EGO mower with a 56 volt battery or a Greenworks with a 60 volt battery. We have a 1/3 acre lot, but half of that is the house, landscaping, pool, and patio footprint. It's a bit hilly in a few areas. I saw some old threads regarding this.

I'm hoping for comments on reliability and customer service, as well as general experience. Thanks!

My neighbor bought a cordless lawnmower about 5 years ago. I do not know the brand, only that it was green in color. We live in town with small lots but we each own 1-1/2 lots due to the house between us burning down many years before I bought the place. Anyway, the first year he was able to mow his entire lawn on a single charge. The second year he could only cut about 3/4 of it before he had to break out the old gas mower to finish the job. The third year he was only able to cut half his lawn with the electric and had to use the old gas mower for the other half. Now he just uses the same old gas mower he used to have and doesn't bother with the electric mower anymore. :confused:

My neighbor bought a cordless lawnmower about 5 years ago. I do not know the brand, only that it was green in color. We live in town with small lots but we each own 1-1/2 lots due to the house between us burning down many years before I bought the place. Anyway, the first year he was able to mow his entire lawn on a single charge. The second year he could only cut about 3/4 of it before he had to break out the old gas mower to finish the job. The third year he was only able to cut half his lawn with the electric and had to use the old gas mower for the other half. Now he just uses the same old gas mower he used to have and doesn't bother with the electric mower anymore. :confused:

It sounds like it's time for your neighbor to buy a new battery. When you buy battery powered tools it's important to buy the right size tool and battery for the job. Some mowers are packaged with under powered 2.0Ah batteries. Stay away from those and buy the ones that come with 5.0Ah batteries, or better yet, a package deal with two batteries. If the battery can barely handle the job when it's new, over time it's going to deteriorate and fail before you finish.

I went to Home Depot and bought a Ryobi 40 V battery operated mower and I’m going on my third season. I have about a third of an acre not counting my house and swimming pool so I probably cut slightly less than a quarter of an acre. I did buy the 40 V Ryobi blower to give me an extra battery. I have no problems cutting the whole lawn and blowing it all off now. I was able to buy the lawnmower for $259.

That's pretty interesting. How do you like the blower?

Make sure you get the right mower for the type of grass you gave. I bought a Greenworks SP mower which really chopped up my grass and couldn’t handle some of the dips in my very small yard. I pulled back out my old reel mower and now have a great looking lawn again.

That 40 V blower is extremely strong.
The lawnmower came with a five amp battery and the blower comes with the four amp battery. Between the two of them I have plenty of power to mow the whole yard and blow everything off.

I LOVED my electric lawnmower! Quiet and it was fantastic at pulverizing leaves on the 1/2 acre lot with LOTS of trees. No maintenance problems either. It was not cordless and given the choice, I think I'd still go with this. No battery to recharge and lightweight. However, I found it handy to have two extension cords and one had a breaker on it. So if the mower hit something and got clogged, it would trip that breaker instead of the one in the house.

Kobalt 80V Self-propelled Mower

Bought on sale at Lowe’s last year. $299 ($599 retail).

We can mow our 0.45 acre lawn twice with 1 charge. Excellent sharp cutting. Very quiet mower. Easy to adjust the height. Can be stored vertically to save space.

Have not had it long enough to vouch for reliability or battery life but at that price I will be happy to get two (long) mowing seasons out of it.

Also own an EGO blower that could move stray cats if I used the “turbo” setting. It is heavy but it really works well on heavy leaves.

This is where I'll stick up for my Snapper with the Briggs and Stratton system. After 4 years, I cannot see any trail off.

I have one interesting note on my battery. I have mentioned before that I sometimes get products to test and review from a big box store. All I have to do is write a review. This Snapper was one of those products.

I rarely get communication from the product maker. They are supposed to leave us alone so we write honest reviews. This was an exception. They sent me an email telling me that the product was delayed a month because they wanted reviewers to get the latest high capacity battery -- which was not out at the time.

I suspect they were having issues with the original battery. Whatever one I have (not sure the Amp hr rating), is good.

Greenworks is offering 20% off on everything today. They have promotions pretty regularly but 20% is generally the biggest discount they offer, and it includes items already on sale. I don't have a lawn mower but I do have their leaf blower and it's been great so far.

I bought the Makita XML08PT1 from Home Depot yesterday. This is the 21" self-propelled version with 4 batteries and charger. Batteries retail for $160 a pair at HD. I checked.
$700 but they offer a 10% discount to vets. The local Air Quality Resources Board in my town rebates $200 if you drop off a gas mower. Signed up for HD credit card for $50 off. My final cost was $422.53. So basically the cost of 4 batteries and charger with the mower free.

Tried it out last night and it works great! Heavy, weighs as much as my gas 7.5hp Troy-Bilt mower weighs.

Greenworks is offering 20% off on everything today. They have promotions pretty regularly but 20% is generally the biggest discount they offer, and it includes items already on sale. I don't have a lawn mower but I do have their leaf blower and it's been great so far.

I timed that one perfectly -- bought an 80V chain saw just before the big sale. Looks like I could have saved $10.

Love our Greenworks 40V

We have a half acre (including our small house) in northern NY and went for the Greenworks 40V two years ago. About $300 at Tractor Supply. It's actually been better than we expected. It uses about 50% of its charge to finish the entire lawn, even when my husband (former golf course maintainer) does the job meticulously. It's very quiet and lightweight, and those two qualities provide an added benefit of safety around children.

The only habit we had to change was keeping the battery inside the house.

I recommend these machines to everyone - the world would be a more peaceful place every sunny Saturday morning!

Battery powered lawnmower since the 90s

I also have had a battery powered lawnmower since the early '90s. Started with a Black & Decker CMD 1000 which lasted over 20+ years. Used the same battery for a B&D string edger/trimmer. I finally had to get a new mower since it was difficult finding a replacement battery at a decent price. Along comes EGO, which at the time, had a futuristic look and a 5 year warranty on the battery. Thus far it's been 6 years and counting. Still using the original battery and charger, however, this battery is in the charging cycle with 2 other batteries. Besides the original lawnmower, the 3 batteries and 2 chargers are used to power a string trimmer and a snowblower. All 3 pieces of equipment are serving me well in maintaining a 1/3 acre property with a sloping front lawn located in a cul-de-sac. Besides not having to buy and store gas, there is basically no maintenance costs with the equipment. Just switch the location of the equipment at change of season. I'm always ready to go no matter what the weather brings. Also saving my arm by not having to draw the pull string a number of times to get the engine started. On a fully charged battery, I am able to mow the entire lawn, which takes about 45 minutes. If the grass is high from missing a scheduled cutting due to rain, I may have to switch to a new charged battery. The good news is it only takes about 30 minutes to fully recharge the battery.

We have a half acre (including our small house) in northern NY and went for the Greenworks 40V two years ago. About $300 at Tractor Supply. It's actually been better than we expected. It uses about 50% of its charge to finish the entire lawn, even when my husband (former golf course maintainer) does the job meticulously. It's very quiet and lightweight, and those two qualities provide an added benefit of safety around children.

The only habit we had to change was keeping the battery inside the house.

I recommend these machines to everyone - the world would be a more peaceful place every sunny Saturday morning!

I’ve been looking into that brand, too, which is the highest rated cordless mower on one website I saw. Amazon sells them but I wonder about where to get it serviced if something breaks? One YouTube reviewer said his blade stopped rotating once in three years and he solved it by pounding the machine housing with his hand. He said it never happened again but it made me wonder where to take it should it actually croak? Northern Tool sells them, which is similar to Tractor Supply. Would they service these mowers?

Our gas powered lawnmower is dying a slow, painful death and is barely useable. Granted, we did not get it sharpened this year, as we were thinking of replacing it. And we went from brown lawn to insanely thick green lawn in the past 2 weeks.

We're looking at purchasing either an EGO mower with a 56 volt battery or a Greenworks with a 60 volt battery. We have a 1/3 acre lot, but half of that is the house, landscaping, pool, and patio footprint. It's a bit hilly in a few areas. I saw some old threads regarding this.

I'm hoping for comments on reliability and customer service, as well as general experience. Thanks!

We got the Ego self propelled to replace our Ego push mower and have been happy. The SP has 2 blades and seems to mulch well even with grass that is quite long. I don't mind recharging between front and back yards. It remains to be seem if we can do the whole yard on one charge. The times we have mowed it has been overgrown due to rain delays.

I recommend Ego not because their mower is better but because they have better cooling design of their battery pack. Most other brands has square brick design for their battery pack. Ego has difference shape and includes mesh surface for the heat (generated during discharging and recharging process) to dissipate. Mine original 5Ah battery pack from 2017 shows no sign of degradation to date because I treat it generally like a piece rare antique furniture.

It also helps to not charge the battery immediately after using it. Give it a rest for 10minutea or so in shaded area or indoors before quitting it to the charge cycle for cooling reason.

Battery is not an ideal energy storage method. It is the climate change that motivated all these electric movement. Knowing how to maintain them saves both the environment (we are running out of sand and a few metals for making the batteries) and money. A 5ah ego battery pack is $200. The mower that came with it is $99 when I bought mine. Now a combo of a 7.5ah battery pack with the same mower is on sale for $279.

Last edited:
I bought the Ryobi push mower for $259 which is a 40 V system. It is less than half the price of the Ego model. It seems to me that I can afford to buy a battery or two. I just replaced my first battery after three years actually two years and 10 months with a free replacement from Ryobi.

I’ve been looking into that brand, too, which is the highest rated cordless mower on one website I saw. Amazon sells them but I wonder about where to get it serviced if something breaks? One YouTube reviewer said his blade stopped rotating once in three years and he solved it by pounding the machine housing with his hand. He said it never happened again but it made me wonder where to take it should it actually croak? Northern Tool sells them, which is similar to Tractor Supply. Would they service these mowers?

I bought my Greenworks 80V mower at Costco, figuring I could return it if it ever acted up.

... Battery is not an ideal energy storage method. It is the climate change that motivated all these electric movement. ...

In the case of lawnmowers, I think convenience is a big, if not the biggest factor in the purchase decision. Not needing to deal with keeping a can of gas around, refilling it, changing oil, spark plugs, and starting it are all inconveniences.

But since lawnmowers are less regulated that cars for emissions, I'd say there is probably much more "bang for the buck" in replacing a gas mower with electric, than there is for replacing a gas/hybrid car with electric. I recall hearing that the once a week mowing creates more pollution than driving the car all week, which is likely true considering cars have computer controls, fuel injection, catalytic converters, etc.

It also helps to not charge the battery immediately after using it. Give it a rest for 10minutea or so in shaded area or indoors before quitting it to the charge cycle for cooling reason. ....

Very good advice. Charging while hot from use is not a good thing for life span.

-ERD50

Thank you for the tip about not recharging the batter right away.

We went with a Toro mower. The self-propel mechanism is identical to the gas model, and works well for us with the few mild hills on our property. Battery mowers are new to the brand. We're very happy with the mower, but not the battery life. Battery life has definitely improved with less lawn growth and less rain, so we should be good for most of the summer.

I like the design of their battery system much better than Greenworks. We have a second battery on order but they are back ordered, due to arrive in about 2 weeks. I probably should have researched different mowers more, but I think in the long run we'll be fine with the Toro. There were things I didn't like about the design of the Greenworks mowers. Snappers were not available except by mail order and it would have taken a couple of weeks, which was a problem since we were mowerless in May.

The Toro battery is interchangeable with other Toro power tools. DH is eyeing a battery operated chain saw by Toro. We rarely use our chainsaw and did not take good care of it between uses. (Hey, we're former city folk).

I would not order a mower through Amazon, but through a company that can service or replace if needed. Most mower places do not service or sell electric mowers at all. Home Depot does some servicing of all the products they sell. We'll see how it goes. Other than blade sharpening, it shouldn't need much servicing.

Back
Top Bottom