Join Early Retirement Today

ER Foibles and Aha! moments?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ER Foibles and Aha! moments?

It's true confessions time... anyone got any weird or funny things you can tell us about doing as you adjusted to ER during those first years? Mine is that whenever the markets would go down a big chunk back in 2001-3 I would go around the house scouring up all the loose change and rolling it into rolls to take to the bank. I don't know why that seemed to work for me -- it was literally 'loose change' compared to the big bucks I was losing int he market, but that was what I did.

Or how about any Aha! moments when you realize your life has changed for the better? Like when I was cruising along a local overpass over the highway at 6pm one recent Friday and looked out into the traffic jam realizing, "oh yeah, all those people have been at work all week, and I used to be one of them...!"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ER Foibles and Aha! moments?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #2

I spent my first year of ER thinking it was a sabatical. I was evaluating businesses to buy, looked at a couple of executive gigs, thought about writing a book.

After one particularly intense negotiation during a potential business purchase, I felt stress hormones being pumped into my bloodstream for the first time in months. That's when I said screw the sabatical, I'm retired. And I went outside to play.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #3

In my first few months of ER I was definitely overly focussed on trying to pinch pennies. I spent a lot of time trying cheaper products, shopping at the Indian grocery store and realizing their produce is crappy, shopping at the discount grocery store that caters to Mexicans and realizing their stuff smells weird to me.

I finally settled on Trader Joes as my main grocery store.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote