Join Early Retirement Today

Estate Planning
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Estate Planning

So goal one of being FIREd is achieved and I'm all set while I'm alive. But now I'm thinking of inheritances and how to organize my estate which is a few million (still less than $5M) with the biggest single asset being a $1M mortgage free home. I live in MA, I'm divorced in my mid 50s and have no children so haven't really worried much about this stuff.

I have named my nieces, and a couple of charities as beneficiaries on all my retirement accounts and have a DIY will that distributes the rest of the estate and a list of all my assets that my executors know about. But I think it's probably best to put the house in trust to avoid probate.

So does anyone have any advice about this. Can I DIY the trust and transfer deed in MA? Right now I'm below the federal inheritance tax limits but above the MA inheritance tax threshold. Do you have recommendations for estate planning professionals in MA?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #2

Don't know anything about MA. While there is a lot you can DIY, you can also leave your heirs a mess as there are pitfalls that you won't spot in advance, that a knowledgeable estate attorney would.

You can get recommendations, and then make some calls to get an idea of the services provided.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I were in your shoes I would check to see if MA has some sort of TOD on real estate.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I found these books (and an article) to be the most helpful ones for retirement and estate planning.

Plan Your Estate
by Denis Clifford for Nolo Press
Great overview of all aspects of retirement and estate planning except how to anticipate and pay for medical expenses. Includes Wills, Powers of Attorney, Trusts, ways to avoid probate, and more. Terrific book to read before speaking to an estate planning attorney and insurance brokers.

8 Ways to Avoid Probate
by Mary Randolph for Nolo Press
Tools like Transfer on Death for real estate and vehicles, Payment on Death for bank accounts, and Trusts can be used to move parts of your estate into the possession of your heirs without the delay of probating your will. Avoiding probate is not a scheme to avoid taxes. This book expands on the information in the Plan Your Estate book.

Living Trusts for Everyone:
Why a Will is Not the Way to Avoid Probate, Protect Heirs, and Settle Estates
by Ron Sharp

Long-term Care: How to Plan and Pay for it
by JL Matthews for Nolo Press

Article
Planning for Health Care Costs in Retirement
Online article published by Vanguard. Very thorough.
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGPLHC.pdf
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:03 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
But I think it's probably best to put the house in trust to avoid probate.
Put all of your non-IRA assets in a trust. Why tie up any of it?
Old 08-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
But I think it's probably best to put the house in trust to avoid probate.
Why do you feel the need to avoid probate?

Quote:
So does anyone have any advice about this. Can I DIY the trust and transfer deed in MA?
You have millions in assets and you want to DIY your estate planning?

Spend a few bucks and do it right. Find a good estate lawyer.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Why do you feel the need to avoid probate?
Just to avoid fees and have the house pass quickly to my heirs

Quote:
You have millions in assets and you want to DIY your estate planning?

Spend a few bucks and do it right. Find a good estate lawyer.
I will probably use a lawyer for this, but I want to understand as much as I can about the process and the things I need.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 08-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
I found these books (and an article) to be the most helpful ones for retirement and estate planning.

Plan Your Estate
by Denis Clifford for Nolo Press
Great overview of all aspects of retirement and estate planning except how to anticipate and pay for medical expenses. Includes Wills, Powers of Attorney, Trusts, ways to avoid probate, and more. Terrific book to read before speaking to an estate planning attorney and insurance brokers.

8 Ways to Avoid Probate
by Mary Randolph for Nolo Press
Tools like Transfer on Death for real estate and vehicles, Payment on Death for bank accounts, and Trusts can be used to move parts of your estate into the possession of your heirs without the delay of probating your will. Avoiding probate is not a scheme to avoid taxes. This book expands on the information in the Plan Your Estate book.

Living Trusts for Everyone:
Why a Will is Not the Way to Avoid Probate, Protect Heirs, and Settle Estates
by Ron Sharp

Long-term Care: How to Plan and Pay for it
by JL Matthews for Nolo Press

Article
Planning for Health Care Costs in Retirement
Online article published by Vanguard. Very thorough.
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGPLHC.pdf
Thanks I'll check those out. I want to make sure the house and non-retirement money passes easily to my heirs with minimal paperwork for them as the live in the UK.

Long term care is set as I bought a policy about 20 years ago...I'm paying $28/month for a benefit of $300/day with a $350k cap. I'm lucky to have been a state worker and have a good health plan in place through the state.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #9

Remember trusts benefit you directly when you become incapacitated as banks don't honor powers of attorney unless they are specifically on their bank forms. Thus a living trust is imperative to make it easy for a trusted person to take over your financial affairs while you are alive but become incapacitated. Definitely meet with an experienced estate planning attorney.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #10

You could always DIY, then buy and hour or two of time from an attorney that's amenable to such an arrangement. Maybe DIY the trust and get the assets titled over (the expensive, time consuming stuff), then dangle the pour over will (for $200 or so) as a carrot to reviewing the trust docs after you think you've got them all in order.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Remember trusts benefit you directly when you become incapacitated as banks don't honor powers of attorney unless they are specifically on their bank forms. Thus a living trust is imperative to make it easy for a trusted person to take over your financial affairs while you are alive but become incapacitated. Definitely meet with an experienced estate planning attorney.
This. As a widow with no children, I have my house and one of my brokerage accounts owned by my trust, so that if I am incapacitated my trustee has easy access to funds for my care. Other accounts and things are handled with TODs, but not only did I want the house's value to be available for my care, I wanted additional liquid funds so that the house doesn't have to be sold at fire-sale prices just to get the dough.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:45 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
This is one area I will not DIY. What about long term care? How would you feel about half (or all!) that nut being spent to keep you comfortable for 10 years in an incapacitated state? Estate and medicaid planning is a highly complex area that is worth spending $4 -5K on in order to protect those hard earned assets for loved ones and causes you believe in.

Ah, I see you have long term care insurance. Maybe, less need then.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I will probably use a lawyer for this, but I want to understand as much as I can about the process and the things I need.
I completely agree with you. That's why I've been studying books and reading forums, too.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #14

An attorney did my folks but after settling it I learned what "not to do." So I (1) put house into trust (2) POD / TOD on all bank & investment accounts (3) keeping everything else under small estate limit in California. .... that would be traceable under 150k. TOD / POD has 2 primary benificiaries (DS + DD) and 6 others (grandkids with DS as custodian as his are youngest) all with %s listed at Schwab. Trust has only 2 beneficiaries (DS + DD). They can argue - or not - over household furnishings. We didn't when mom passed

A bigger concern was instructions if / when I became unable to make my own decisions
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You could always DIY, then buy and hour or two of time from an attorney that's amenable to such an arrangement. Maybe DIY the trust and get the assets titled over (the expensive, time consuming stuff), then dangle the pour over will (for $200 or so) as a carrot to reviewing the trust docs after you think you've got them all in order.
I would caution against this approach as, in my opinion, any attorney willing to get involved with such a small matter for so little money (but big risk) probably does not have much experience and/or is a general practitioner. In either case they wouldn't really know what to look for.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I would caution against this approach as, in my opinion, any attorney willing to get involved with such a small matter for so little money (but big risk) probably does not have much experience and/or is a general practitioner. In either case they wouldn't really know what to look for.

+1000
Too many “gotchas” in estate planning.
Most people don’t know what they don’t know.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Would you read books and consult SGOTI in preparation for removing your own appendix? Spend a few tenths of a percent of the value of your estate and get it right.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote