Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Ever regretted moving south?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednvon
And Hello to you bow-tie....Hawkeyes appear to be few and far between on these boards!

Ted
Here's another born and bred Iowegian for the first 18 years. Haven't been back in there in almost ten years. When I was, it was ok for the first twenty minutes but quickly knew it was a "been there, done that, not gonna do it again" type thing. But unlike most Hawkeyes, I'm not retiring to AZ but heading in opposite way to GA.
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454

I spoke to friends in NY and it was 18 degrees this AM. I don't miss that!
Same here this morning. It will warm up some today but whats going on? This is frigging MS!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Hey Nords, didn't you used to live in the DC area at one time? I thought I remembered you mentioning it before.
Yep, I was incarcerated at USNA for four years and finally escaped in 1982. I also lived in Carydale East Apartments in Alexandria for six months while working at the Naval Research Lab. I sometimes wonder if Generous George still has his Positive Pizza Palace near there, but the 60s were very good to him and I don't think he had much of a life expectancy left.

My FIL worked at CBS's Washington bureau for 30+ years. Spouse was raised in Bowie and my BIL the CPA lives with his spouse in Crofton.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yep, I was incarcerated at USNA for four years and finally escaped in 1982. I also lived in Carydale East Apartments in Alexandria for six months while working at the Naval Research Lab. I sometimes wonder if Generous George still has his Positive Pizza Palace near there, but the 60s were very good to him and I don't think he had much of a life expectancy left.
Still there.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I love the South. It has great weather (I like heat, even in summer--and where I live in south Texas it gets so hot it makes you forget your fear of hell!!!!!) I think at age 18 I stopped loving snow and knew there had to be a more tropical climate-but it took me 30 more years of Mid-western and East coast living before I acted on my desire.

The winter of 95 in MA produced over a 100 inches of snow and I knew it was time to make a move. I have never regretted it--and TX has been good to me. 11 years and I'm still happy with the move.

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Moved from Michigan to central Florida (horse country) 27 months ago. Stayed for the last summer just to see what it was like. (Original plan was to use travel trailer every summer and go back for the hottest months) We learned to work around the heat. Up early, stay inside during the middle and go out at night. Its wounderful to be able to get out on any given day. I am in a wheel chair, so working for 30 years in Michigan was a hassel. Might not be for everyone but the wife and I love it.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski
Its wounderful to be able to get out on any given day.
Yes, I think that's a key thing for me. With few exceptions you can enjoy the outdoors, do outdoor tasks, or just cheer yourself up with 15 minutes of warm, bright sunshine virtually 365 days a year. It's essentially a lifestyle thing.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
I love the South. It has great weather (I like heat, even in summer--and where I live in south Texas it gets so hot it makes you forget your fear of hell!!!!!)
I don't have any fear of hell so I think I will skip the hell-on-earth of the Texas summer.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I was born and raised in New Orleans. I thrive on heat and humidity. To reverse the theme of this thread, I went from warm to cold and have lived in cold weather in Japan, Europe and New England. So, I've tried it, and just can't hack it. It looks great in the movies when the snow starts falling and it is. . . the first day or so. Just cannot stand 3-6 months of it. And shoveling or blowing that lovely white fluffy stuff into great piles so you can get out of the driveway? Ugh.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Still there.
Excellent!

When spouse-to-be and I dropped by he'd always ask "Will you two be French kissing later tonight?"

We went there a lot. He's no fool...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lived in the southwest most of my adult life. I like to travel, so the AZ Desert heat is really just a reminder to hit the road for three months. I can travel two hours and be thirty degrees cooler in the north or keep on I 40 and had west to 101, ten head north and stop anywhere for a while and enjoy the place. There are always cheap filghts to new places. Find the map and throw a dart. Just keep moving and its all good. 8)
Old 12-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you all for responding. We live up North and for years I enjoyed the winter and its activities. Now not so much (getting Old? -- according to the kids I'm already there )

As I suspected, those who are South enjoy the freedom from the hassle and work of snow/sleet/ice etc. I'm sure in the next few years we'll be looking to set up, at least for the winter, in a less hostile enviroment.

Tio z
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Would never go back to Buffalo ... except for a short summer visit ... and it would probably be cloudy and rain ...

When / if you move south, also consider some less obvious choices ... the Carolinas, KY, TN, AL, NM come to mind. Home pricing and cost of living can be much more attractive.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Stay where you are! It is getting too crowded here in Georgia. Have you thought about western Canada? Way too many yankees here! Stay away
Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Stay where you are! It is getting too crowded here in Georgia. Have you thought about western Canada? Way too many yankees here! Stay away
Dex,
How many months/weeks a year do you plan to be on the road in your RV?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Dex,
How many months/weeks a year do you plan to be on the road in your RV?
Dog,
If I were to total it up; I would estimate about 2 - 3 months a year. If I wasn't setting up my house I would be making my way down to Key West, Fla right now and then maybe up to South Carolina before going back to Atlanta.

From my recent trip out west I think I would limit my travels to the southeast and areas west and north of Texas. Of the RV parks I saw east of Texas they were a bit of a downer. They tended to be packed in, high priced and filled with workers who can't afford traditional appartments.

Also, on my list is Mexico but I would do that with a group of people for security and help with a breakdown along the way.

The RV life is a good one anyway you go. Some go with the Class A and with everything you have in an upscale house. I like the smaller ones for the ease of pulling and it is as close to camping as you can get without sleeping on the ground.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I like the smaller ones for the ease of pulling and it is as close to camping as you can get without sleeping on the ground.
So...something like this?

Old 12-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Wow, he's one heckuva salesman!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Mr. Wahoo! You reminded me of our trip this winter. We'd both like to travel thru Texas in cognito. Right now DW is thinking Tex-Mex Queen Mum. I'm leaning towards Jethro-sexual. Any fashion ideas?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
We'd both like to travel thru Texas in cognito.
I thought you had a Lazy Daze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Right now DW is thinking Tex-Mex Queen Mum. I'm leaning towards Jethro-sexual. Any fashion ideas?
Hey, the election judge at my local polling place last week wore bib overalls and a gimmiecap. I'm thinking what you wear isn't too important, but you might want to limit your conversations to "yep" and "nope" to prevent giving yourselves away.

And if your congnito has MN plates, you might want to slap some mud on them. Caint be to careful while travlin' thru these here parts, you know.