Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Exclusive Interview with Nords!! Early Retiree from the Military
Old 03-25-2007, 04:39 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good background on how you FIREd.

Former Marine here. 75-79. Avionics work on CH-46 helicopter. What you sailors call an AE. Did 2 cruises on LPH-9 (USS GUAM) in the Med. COMPHIBRON 6 (amphibious assault group) FMFLANT in 76 and 78.

Never made it WestPAC while on active duty. However... DW and I may spend a couple months on one of the Hawaiian Islands to wind-down when we FIRE.... Make the adjustment to slow time. Then on to Austrailia for a few months.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Really impressive interview! Can't wait for your book. I would like to send it to some family friends. Thanks Nords and also Thanks to Akaisha and Billy...
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

So glad people are enjoying this interview with Nords. He has such a wealth of information... Hope his book takes the military by storm!

So many will benefit from it.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Count me in as another person who thoroughly enjoyed his interview. He is such a wealth of information and always so willing to share. I have learned so much from reading his posts.

I PM'd him at the last minute about my trip to Hawaii and hoped that I would hear a few lines from him before I left. In typical Nords fashion, he sent me a long PM telling me all about places of interest, highways to use and tips for saving money. He even offered to give me a surfing lesson! (I feel that I really messed up by not taking him up on his offer. Maybe he will be so kind to offer it again, the next time I make it there.)

Thank you so much for your service to our country, Nords and for being so generous with your time here.

Pam
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I feel that I really messed up by not taking him up on his offer. Maybe he will be so kind to offer it again, the next time I make it there.
It's a standing offer!

When Trombone Al & I went out yesterday I kept hearing a whimpering noise. It's March so the water temperature was only in the low 70s, but my daughter insisted it wasn't her.

After a while I realized that it was Al, who's spent at least 20 hours in the water over the last seven days and is soon going to have to go back to northern CA & full wetsuits...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
After a while I realized that it was Al, who's spent at least 20 hours in the water over the last seven days and is soon going to have to go back to northern CA & full wetsuits...
I don't blame him for the wimpering... I lived 20 years in Santa Cruz where they hold the Cold Water Classic Surfing Competition and BRRR!!! They don't call it the Cold Water Classic for nuthin'!

Unfortunately, I'm not too much of a swimmer, but I'd be brave enough to go knee high into those freezing waters.. and it was enough to keep me from ever going full body. I certainly prefer the warmer waters of the Caribbean, Phuket, Hawaii, Florida, etc. 8) Hang in there T.Al! I'm sure Nords would love to see your mug again on some other visit!

Akaisha,
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement