Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Checking in on our expats all over the world. How's it going? What's the situation like regarding the virus and the regulations? What about the vaccine?

Hope everyone is doing alright!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Checking in on our expats all over the world. How's it going? What's the situation like regarding the virus and the regulations? What about the vaccine?

Hope everyone is doing alright!

Hola from Costa Rica. Vaccines have started for the older folks, Tico's and those with residency. There have been off and on restrictions for driving days based on license plate #'s. Rumor has it the last of these will end at the end of the month.

When it hit, the government allowed all those already in country to just stay, kept extending the tourist visa's. Last time they were extended to March 2nd. Government has said no more extensions now that airports are open and flights going in and out.

We have applied for temporary residency but it takes quite a while. So DW and I made a quick run up to Miami end of January to re-set our visa stamps not on the same 90 day schedule as everyone else. If they extend last minute, it was a bad call. If they don't, we wont be in the hordes trying to get out and back March 1 or 2.

Will honestly say this; feel very thankful and blessed to have been here during all of it than back up in the USA. Beautiful weather, fresh air, lovely nature when you need out. I think that for a small country they have handled it as well as possible.

And after the quick weekend trip to Miami, even more so!
Old 02-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thailand - still requires 14 day quarantine to enter.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:39 AM   #104
Administrator

Doing all reet in Yorkshire. Under lockdown until March, vaccine rollout going well, Spring weather bringing out the snowdrops and crocuses. My knee surgery a few days ago went great, going out for my first walk in the woods today to give it a workout. Our cohort (65-69) started vaccinations last week, but because of surgery we had to wait and have appointments for 2 days time.

And my first UK SS payment (aka OAP) went into the bank 2 days ago.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:57 AM   #105

Switzerland here. Vaccine supplies delivered/to be delivered are lower than government contracted for, alas. So, going slower than expected. Expect most to be vaccinated by May/June. Since the beginning of the year we have been in a new stricter phase with stores (other than food and pharmacies) closed; but this is expected to ease up in two weeks. Borders still closed, of course.

The sinking of the dollar is a concern, not a worry yet. But over the last 12 months the exchange rate has changed from .98 Swiss franc per $1.00 USD to .88. About 90% of our income comes from investments, SS, etc. in the US and is transferred quarterly to our Swiss bank account (not THAT kind of Swiss bank account, unfortunately). We have adjusted with some easy budget cuts and have identified more cuts we could make if need be.

We love where we live and would not abandon our life here without a strong fight.

-BB
Old 02-21-2021, 06:09 AM   #106
Administrator

SouthEast Florida here. Vaccinations average to the rest of the US. Heavily focused on senior homes and age 65+, with a fair amount (>10%) undisclosed. Weather is nice, so lots of sun, walking and other outdoor. We’ve made it to the beach multiple times, although it is a bit windy. This is high tourist season. Traffic isn’t as congested as in previous years, so overall tourism appears down, but restaurants are bursting.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although I've been an expat, (KSA), I guess I'm actually a pluralistic immigrant, (Australia and Canada...quickly approaching 56 years in the latter)....whatever, I'll never go back whence I came, since I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there in the first place.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...alled-an-expat

Regardless....we have a little snow, the sun is shining brightly, no vaccines yet and no word as to when....although the community pool is scheduled to reopen (limited access) tomorrow, and DW is signed up to resume her thrice weekly swims.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 02-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #108
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here in Malta, everything is open except bars and clubs. You must wear a mask everywhere except inside your home and car. Most cultural events are cancelled There are no tourists and very few flights in and out of the country. The options across europe are very limited with curfews, travel restrictions and closed borders so even if you could get out it would be hard to actually go anywhere. Vaccine rollout here is leading the rest of the EU but its still looking like the fall or Christmas before its offered to most people. The summer is looking like a bust in Europe with Ireland saying bars and hotels to stay closed at least through the middle of the summer. UK looking a lot better because they have their own supply. I think that next year when the USA has finished vaccinating, supplies in europe should be more plentiful and that things may be open by summer 2022.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt-texas View Post
Will honestly say this; feel very thankful and blessed to have been here during all of it than back up in the USA. Beautiful weather, fresh air, lovely nature when you need out. I think that for a small country they have handled it as well as possible.

And after the quick weekend trip to Miami, even more so!
Interesting, glad you went ahead with the border run so you don't have to worry about it. One of the travel podcasters I listen to went down to CR in Jan originally intending to spend a month but have decided to stay for the full 90. They shared insight into how things are, at least in the town that they're in. Glad to hear that CR and you all are managing quite well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My knee surgery a few days ago went great, going out for my first walk in the woods today to give it a workout. Our cohort (65-69) started vaccinations last week, but because of surgery we had to wait and have appointments for 2 days time.
Yikes sorry you needed surgery during this time, but glad it was a success! Good luck with the vaccine and hope you are able to get back to normal-ish life soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
We love where we live and would not abandon our life here without a strong fight.
-BB
Thanks for sharing. Switzerland hasn't gotten much press here in the states, but I would have imagined they'd manage the outbreak pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Although I've been an expat, (KSA), I guess I'm actually a pluralistic immigrant, (Australia and Canada...quickly approaching 56 years in the latter)....whatever, I'll never go back whence I came, since I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there in the first place.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...alled-an-expat
Expat vs Immigrant is a fair question. Thanks for sharing about life in Ontario!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
SouthEast Florida here. Vaccinations average to the rest of the US. Heavily focused on senior homes and age 65+, with a fair amount (>10%) undisclosed. Weather is nice, so lots of sun, walking and other outdoor. We’ve made it to the beach multiple times, although it is a bit windy. This is high tourist season. Traffic isn’t as congested as in previous years, so overall tourism appears down, but restaurants are bursting.
Would SE FL be South FL? Or is it more specific? I'm also in South FL and feel extremely fortunate compared to the rest of the country this past week. Seems FL has been vaccinating at a decent pace...I hope it keeps improving. This region seems to include a large share of people who are not, umm, so concerned about the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puravida1 View Post
Here in Malta, everything is open except bars and clubs. You must wear a mask everywhere except inside your home and car. Most cultural events are cancelled There are no tourists and very few flights in and out of the country. The options across europe are very limited with curfews, travel restrictions and closed borders so even if you could get out it would be hard to actually go anywhere. Vaccine rollout here is leading the rest of the EU but its still looking like the fall or Christmas before its offered to most people. The summer is looking like a bust in Europe with Ireland saying bars and hotels to stay closed at least through the middle of the summer. UK looking a lot better because they have their own supply. I think that next year when the USA has finished vaccinating, supplies in europe should be more plentiful and that things may be open by summer 2022.
Wow. Cannot believe we are talking about summer of 2022, but that's where we are now. Last March I thought I'd be traveling again by the fall.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:56 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Will be picking your brain about life in Yorkshire!
Old 02-22-2021, 01:33 AM   #111
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafoodie View Post
Will be picking your brain about life in Yorkshire!
Tha’ knows where to find me
Old 02-25-2021, 11:11 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Just jumping in this thread... have not FIREd yet but have already bought in the south of France a few years back. Friends there are having a tougher time with the confinement, one even moved back! Another couple just arrived back for the duration.

I lived in Switzerland for a little over two years and loved it. But wow, has it gotten expensive. And the taxes! So much better for US retirees in France with all the latest changes than Switzerland (or Spain).
Old 02-25-2021, 11:36 PM   #113

Bangkok, Thailand here. Interesting to read that expats in Europe are expecting to get vaccinated May/June or later. Reading the news from here one would think that it would be earlier. In Thailand I am expecting vaccinations to open up mid-year. We are coming out of a second small outbreak. Most everything is open and they started allowing alcohol to be sold in restaurants and bars a couple of days ago. Now I am just waiting for salsa dancing to return again.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:22 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Bump! Happy 2022! And happy Year of the Tiger!

My situation is that I've been stuck in LA for the whole pandemic... hoping to go back overseas sometime later this year, and maybe retire overseas permanently. Thailand and Portugal are on my radar.

I applied for the Taiwan Gold Card and got declined (details here). In short, it's suitable only for someone with a recent or current job (or offer) at a certain salary level (160000 TWD/month or equivalent). For us "Life after FIRE" people (ones who haven't worked for a few years, and don't want to re-enter the workforce at the required salary level), this is not an option.

So, on to greener pastures! Not that I want to be "put out to pasture"... not quite that old (I identify as Generation X, although at the older end of the scale)... so I'm more inclined to want a more cosmopolitan place with a good variety of cultural/social options (i.e., if it's just the bar and the beach, that'll get old real quick).

Maybe see you there! Somewhere...
Old 02-04-2022, 07:27 AM   #115

Wow, the date of yours and the previous posts show how dormant this thread has been! Glad to know that you are moving on to greener pastures. Portugal seems to be gaining in popularity these days and seems to have a good program for retiring expats. My wife and I looked into it when we weren't sure we would get permanent residence here in Switzerland after I retired.

Good luck with the search. BTW, the coastal area just below Lisbon is considered a prime place to live -- close to the big city, yet on the beaches. Have you given it a look?

-BB
Old 02-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
Good luck with the search. BTW, the coastal area just below Lisbon is considered a prime place to live -- close to the big city, yet on the beaches. Have you given it a look?
In fact, I know almost zero about Portugal. It's on my radar because a friend is trying it out. I think I need to stay in a big city, partly to be near larger medical facilities as I get older, and also for cultural options that might appeal to me, e.g., hackerspaces, community theater/improv, music lessons, philosophical meetup groups, yoga/meditation centers, maybe audit classes in a university, etc. These are things I've never seen much of in any beach community.

And I like having tons of international food options within walking distance.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Bump! Happy 2022! And happy Year of the Tiger!

My situation is that I've been stuck in LA for the whole pandemic... hoping to go back overseas sometime later this year, and maybe retire overseas permanently. Thailand and Portugal are on my radar.

I applied for the Taiwan Gold Card and got declined (details here). In short, it's suitable only for someone with a recent or current job (or offer) at a certain salary level (160000 TWD/month or equivalent). For us "Life after FIRE" people (ones who haven't worked for a few years, and don't want to re-enter the workforce at the required salary level), this is not an option.

So, on to greener pastures! Not that I want to be "put out to pasture"... not quite that old (I identify as Generation X, although at the older end of the scale)... so I'm more inclined to want a more cosmopolitan place with a good variety of cultural/social options (i.e., if it's just the bar and the beach, that'll get old real quick).

Maybe see you there! Somewhere...
Thanks for the update, and I was always interested in that visa for Taiwan in the future, if we chose to head back to Asia.

Portugal is super popular now, and real estate prices have skyrocketed over the last few years. Locals in Portugal are very friendly and willing to converse in English, unlike many EU countries.

One city that you may want to look into is KL in Malaysia. I'm a city guy as well, and KL has an excellent expat community and real estate and cost of living aren't that expensive. KL offers good value.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:21 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
One city that you may want to look into is KL in Malaysia. I'm a city guy as well, and KL has an excellent expat community and real estate and cost of living aren't that expensive. KL offers good value.
That's what I had thought as well, so I spent a few months there, about five years ago. I can say it was "OK", but somehow I wasn't feeling it. Of all the places I've been, it doesn't rank high in terms of my feeling that I want to go back and explore further... just a subjective thing.

On more objective criteria, we did discuss the MM2H visa program earlier in this thread, including various pitfalls/gotchas that anyone interested in the program ought to be aware of. On top of that, during the time since those comments were posted, MM2H has gotten a lot of bad press, with articles like the following:

"After Rejecting Up to 90% of Applications, Malaysia Freezes MM2H, Again"

"After 21 Months, No End in Sight for MM2H Suspension"

"'It's our only home': Malaysia's changes to MM2H visa scheme throw expats' plans into chaos"

The above articles didn't help to improve my perception of the program. So I won't be exploring that further.

I'm not saying that other interested persons shouldn't do MM2H, only that they should go in with eyes open and be aware of the known issues with the program.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

There's an American on Youtube originally from Cleveland, and he has this business called Nomad Capitalist. Basically, his company provides a visa and other services for high net worth people who want to explore the idea of getting a 2nd residence or citizenship. He's young, but his clips are at times interesting. He loves eastern Europe and always mentions countries like Georgia and Montenegro. I know nothing about eastern Europe, but I know it's low cost of living and decent value. Something to think about, although I myself prefer Asia for a number of reasons.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:16 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

I've enjoyed living in Korea for 4 years but it has cemented the idea that I want to retire in a place with a language that is easier to learn. I hear good things about Eastern Europe and it used to be in my thinking but I'm leaning much more strongly to Portugal, Spain, Malta, France, and Italy now.

With aging parents also entering the picture I have been looking at least a little at locations that might provide a relatively cheap second home (apartment) for an interesting snowbird type of situation. I say snowbird type as it is unclear that we would want someplace to go in the winter. Which has opened up the questions about buying/renting a place to have a permanent overseas 2nd place or simply do 90 day Airbnb rentals in different places once travel becomes less of a hassle.