FAIRFIELD FLAGSTAFF AZ (GRAND CANYON)

G

GDER

<Tybrisa> NOT the nicest place we've stayed. Very basic 2bdrm condo with great view of the beach and ocean.
Well a good time was had by all. Got a wild hair and put a bid on a 2bdrm Fairfield timeshare in Flagstaff Arizona (S-H only $211/wk).... Sooo, we'll be on the road again BIG time. We've been wanting to see the Grand Canyon and this "Gold Crown" resort is only 80 miles away. Any comments/suggestions by those in the know for our visit??

Cheers all--Thanks for the assist Dory.

Re: Tybrisa Beach Resort, GA.

The Grand Canyon was a disappointment to me.
It was so BIG that my senses couldn't seem to take it all
in. Overwhelming I guess. Did like Arizona though.

John Galt

Gder,
While in Flagstaff, check out Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. Sedona just might be the most beautiful place on earth. Also, take a thrilling ride over Mingus Mountain, stop at the town of Jerome - about 5000 up on the side of the mountain - and then down the other side to the town of Prescott. A nice drive. Might be snowing on top of the mountain, about 8000 ft up.
Ray

Re: Grand Canyon area

If you make it up to the north rim area (and even if you don't), I would recommend some time just a little north at the area on the Utah/Arizona border. Zion national park has a number of things to see/do there and Bryce (north, and a little east of Zion) is a real gem. I remember Bryce having small cabins for rent, right in the park area, and the sunrise/sunset hours are beautiful there.

Further afield from Flagstaff, but worth visiting in my opinion.

Wayne

Moab, UT, Arches National Park is well worth the drive.

Tybee Island isn't my 1st choice of SE beaches...a little run down. Jekyll Island further south of Savannah is nice...and of course Hilton Head SC is only 45 minutes from Tybee.

Tybee Island isn't my 1st choice of SE beaches...a little run down. Jekyll Island further south of Savannah is nice...and of course Hilton Head SC is only 45 minutes from Tybee.
Thanks - Mark

We had a good time anyways and yes we've been to alot nicer beaches. Haven't been to Jekyll yet, but saw one of those travel channel specials on it. Maybe next fall, if I can't find the right place (& price).

We've been to Hilton Head a couple times since retiring. It's very nice. We really liked the Marriott Monarch on the beach in the Sea Pines area (best so far). Also, Kiawah Island SC, Edisto Island SC, Myrtle Beach SC, Atlantic Beach NC, Duck NC were all part of 2003-4 beaches tour.

"Life's a beach -- then you die." unk

Hello GDER! You misspelled "bitch" at the end.
Otherwise, good post :)

John Galt

Fairfield Flagstaff AZ--(Grand Canyon)

Hello GDER! You misspelled "bitch" at the end.
Otherwise, good post :)

John Galt
John--You spell it your way--I'll spell it mine!

Spelling of that word changed significantly after ER for me.

Back at the ranch or make that a fantastic timeshare in Flagstaff AZ. Only 2232 miles of driving our Hertz rent-a-car and we arrived yesterday. Beautiful--stark--scenary along the way--A couple 'flea bag' motels and we're HERE. Beautiful scenary here and what a place. Sat in the 6 person hot tub on our deck and stared at the blue-blue sky and mountainous backdrop while the jets erased the aches and pains of the trip. Sitting on overstuffed leather furniture in front of a huge natural stone fireplace with all the electronic distractions. It really is first class and we'll be enjoying it all week.

bennevis/wzd/skylark
Thanks for all the suggestions on places to visit. We'll try to cram in as much siteseeing as possible, along with enjoying all the amenities here. Hard to believe we are paying less per night for a luxury 2bdrm condo than for those flea bag motel!!

The first time I saw Arizona I thought "Man this is so
beautiful there is no way it could ever be captured by
photo or film." There are some awesome sights in this
country. I plan to see more before I depart.

John Galt

Flagstaff Arizona

The first time I saw Arizona I thought "Man this is so beautiful there is no way it could ever be captured by photo or film." There are some awesome sights in this country. I plan to see more before I depart.

John Galt
John - I couldn't agree more, spent the day with friends and visited Walnut Canyon National Monument. At 50, getting up and down those trails/steps at 7k+ altitude is a little of a challenge. Hate to think about doing it at 60+. Makes me wish I had ER'd at 30!! But, it was an amazing place well worth every huff and puff along the way. Of course, the hot tub did help to quiet some of those screaming over-used muscle groups.

Spent our evening at the Lowell Observatory--another first time experience and very interesting to look at the stars/planets through large telescopes. Not to mention the view of the city lights from the mountainside. A perfect night for it with 'nairy' a cloud in the sky!!

Thanks to our national parks pass and a 2fer on the observatory--total touring cost $5 for the day & night! Add $30 for the condo, a couple bucks for gas, and $23 for an amazing mexican meal (so big and good half of it came home in a 'doggie' container)--total~$60... Not quite the $50 a day mark, but close enough for ER work...

Arizona

A couple of other places we enjoyed in Eastern AZ and Western NM:

Bisbee, AZ, an old mining town built on a stream, the main drag through town climbs a steep hill. Very nice historic downtown.

Tombstone, AZ, very touristy, but still interesting to see the old west preserved and where the famed events took place. The Birdcage Museum at the end of the street was the best thing we saw there. Its amazing how they have created a tourist attraction from a few murders. Detroit should take note.

Silver City, NM, another old mining town, up in the mountains with a temperate climate, mountain pine forests, many streams, unlike the desert flats just a half hour to the south on I-10, near the border with Mexico. It is very interesting to cross the AZ/NM border, it is kind of a watershed between the Californian "Government Uber Alles" and the Texan "Who Needs Government?" mentalities. I considered Silver City as a place to live or at least buy a winter home. I would love a mountain ranch north of Silver City somewhere. Two years ago the major employer, a mining operation, was closing down and real estate must have taken a hit. The Mogollon mountain range north of Silver City along the AZ/NM border must be very beautiful, it is on my list for our next out west vacation.

I'm ready to go back! Moab, UT, Canyon du Chelly, Window Rock, what amazing, beautiful landscapes! Can you tell it is snowing here today? :eek:

I'm sure you have done enough driving for a while, but thats what touring out west is all about. Flagstaff is another nice city so actually you don't really have to go far for things to do. HAVE A GREAT TIME!

I'm curious about the time sharing condo, did you buy it or rent it?

There are a bunch of time-share condos on the resort grounds where we own our condo. Time-shares
never appealed to me for a bunch of reasons.
Although we intend to rent it out part of the time,
we will end up living there at some point, perhaps
permanently. I met one guy who owned eleven of the
48 units in our complex when it was first built. It was
to be his "retirement". He is dissatisfied with his cash flow and has sold 8 units. Our primary goal is not for
investment, so any rental income is just a bonus to
us.

John Galt

Hello GDER! Nice you are enjoying your vacation.
Great area! It is true that there are many costs
involved with owning. The key is to buy right and
to sell right if you sell. Everything I own now has been
bought in the last 3 years. I am confident I could
lease the properties for significant positive cash flow or make a nice
(net) profit by selling, even with the short holding
period. All properties have potential for personal use as well as for income/appreciation.

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom