Farthest points

There are at least two US Navy submariners who became astronauts and who thus hold the record for the maximum vertical separation between places where they have lived.
https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2015/june/submariners-space

Edit: Upon further reflection, the record is actually held by the astronauts who traveled to the moon.

People like Michael Collins also probably qualify for most remote as well when he was on the far side of the moon in the orbiter and Neil and Buzz were on the surface.

I'd probably give E. Shackleton the prize for "surface of the Earth" remoteness though.

North, Grimsey Island, Iceland

South, Panama Canal

West, Osan, South Korea

East, Cyprus

Highest, Sandra Crest, NM 10,678

Lowest, Calipatria, CA -180 (lived there a year)

As in most things travel related, my wife beats me handily on most of these:

Furthest North.
DW: Prudhoe Bay, in the family car.
Me: Fairbanks, AK - where I flew to rescue her after the family car's ill-fated drive to Prudhoe Bay.

Furthest South.
Me: [-]Kangaroo Island, South Australia[/-]
DW: Antarctica (on the cruise ship that a few years later became famous for getting stuck in the ice for a month).

Highest.
DW: Everest Base Camp, 18.5K ft
Me: White Mt. CA, 14.2K (but maybe a few bonus points for flying a glider over the same point at 20K+)

Lowest.
Nothing too exotic, but DW and I have camped/hiked around Death Valley any number of times (~ -280 ft).

Most remote.
DW and I: Pretty much everywhere in the Kimberley region of NW Australia. A whole lotta empty up there.

Not sure how to figure furthest east/west when you cross the internatiional date line...

Edit: After checking a map I realized I screwed up. ALL of the South Island of New Zealand is south of Kangaroo Island, so my visit to Christchurch, NZ at 43S replaces KI as my furthest south (but still a good 20 degrees shy of DW's Antarctica trip). NZ is also about as far east as you can get on dry land with the North Island maxing out at 178.5E. DW and I didn't get that far, but did some climbing in Tongariro National Park at 176E - which is reasonably close.

Last edited:
North - Akureyri, Iceland
South - Invercargill, New Zealand
East - Yokohama, Japan
West - Homer, Alaska
Highest - Cusco, Peru
Most Remote - Cocha Cashu Biological Research station, Peru.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Not sure how to figure furthest east/west when you cross the internatiional date line...
I use the Prime Meridian at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich as the reference point.

North: Matanuska-Susitna AK 62 N
South: Singapore 1 N (haven't made it out of the northern hemisphere!)
West: Hankapiai Beach, Kauai 159 W
East: Guam 144 E
Most remote: Somewhere in the Pacific crossing the International Date Line

Furthest north: Fairbanks, Alaska
Furthest south: Punta Arenas, Chile (on the Straight of Magellan)
Furthest east from Prime Meridian : East Cape, New Zealand
Furthest west from Prime Meridian: Waimea, Kauai
Furthest east traveling from Washington, DC: SE Sri Lanka
Furthest west traveling from DC: Penang, Malaysia
Most distant point traveling from DC: Perth, Western Australia
Lowest point: Dead Sea
Highest point: at the end of a road on the side of Cotopaxi volcano, Ecuador. The road ends at 14,763 ft (4,500m). The peak is 19,347 ft (5,897m) high.
Most remote: probably southern Tunisia at the edge of the Sahara. Looking south, I could see nothing but seemingly endless sand.

Last edited:
North: Drove Demster Hwy to Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk Northwest Territories,
South: Machu Picchu
Highest: Mt Whitney (14,454)
Lowest: Death Valley; Dead Sea
East/west? Just keep going; Turkey, Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan, Cambodia, Viet Nam, Bali, Fiji Tahiti, Marquesa: love, love, love Rarotonga/Cook Islands

Furthest north: Fairbanks, Alaska
Furthest south: Punta Arenas, Chile (on the Straight of Magellan)
Furthest east from Prime Meridian : East Cape, New Zealand
Furthest west from Prime Meridian: Waimea, Kauai
Furthest east traveling from Washington, DC: SE Sri Lanka
Furthest west traveling from DC: Penang, Malaysia
Most distant point traveling from DC: Perth, Western Australia
Lowest point: Dead Sea
Highest point: at the end of a road on the side of Cotopaxi volcano, Ecuador. The road ends at 14,763 ft (4,500m). The peak is 19,347 ft (5,897m) high.
Most remote: probably southern Tunisia at the edge of the Sahara. Looking south, I could see nothing but seemingly endless sand.

That's some prodigious travelling. What took you to southern Tunisia? I read Paul Bowles' "The Sheltering Sky" many years ago and have a picture of the Sahara in my mind. I'd like to see it someday.

I quite remember Punta Arenas. The current was very, very strong there - over 6 knots. The wind was also strong. It made for some tricky shiphandling.

I think about those early explorers getting around that. It was no mean feat and they had to wait for good-ish weather.

That's some prodigious travelling. What took you to southern Tunisia? I read Paul Bowles' "The Sheltering Sky" many years ago and have a picture of the Sahara in my mind. I'd like to see it someday.

I quite remember Punta Arenas. The current was very, very strong there - over 6 knots. The wind was also strong. It made for some tricky shiphandling.
Believe it or not, a friend & I were bicycling in Tunisia. This was over 20 years ago. Another memorable place in Tunisia was crossing the Chott el Djerid, a large, usually dry salt lake bed. Though we were there in mid-autumn and had perfect temperatures, I saw a mirage while crossing that dry lake bed. I could have sworn there was water at the base of the distant mountains along the Algerian border, though I knew there was none.

For most of the places I mentioned except for Fairbanks & Cotopaxi, I was on my bicycle. I had a bike at Cotopaxi but got a ride up to where the road ended.
I also had my bike with me in Perth, but I had flown there from Melbourne to visit a friend. However, I had been biking in SE Australia & Tasmania.

Punta Arenas and southern Patagonia is the windiest damn place I've ever been. The wind in Punta Arenas is audible, even when you're indoors. I think it's like that for 6 months of the year. I'd go insane if I lived there. On that trip, I was biking mainly in the lake & volcano region in south-central Chile and adjacent Argentina. But it wasn't going to cost me anything additional to fly to Punta Arenas. So I flew to Punta Arenas for 3 days, mainly because I wanted to see a penguin colony. It was worth it just for that. Then I flew up to Puerto Montt and started my bike trip. But I recall biking to and from the Punta Arenas airport into town (about 12 miles away), and the crosswind along the straight of Magellan was treacherous, esp. on the return trip to the airport when trucks would go past me and momentarily block the strong westerly wind.

Last edited:
North 63.9 N Healy Ak
South 13.1 N Bridgetown Barbados
West 157.9 W Honolulu airport
East 0.0 E Greenwich

Highest 14115’ Pikes Peak
Lowest about -100’ in a sub in Maui
Most remote - somewhere in the Caribbean

I never thought about it until now, but I haven’t been south of the equator.

Last edited:
North - Had to check Helsinki v Yellowknife NWT - it's the latter 62.53 v 60.31 N

South - Cape Aguhlas, South Africa 34.83 S

East - Stanley, Hong Kong 114.22 E

West - Anchorage 149.91 W (and checking on it I found that it is 50 miles N of Helsinki)

Highest - Sunshine Ski Resort, Alberta 8960 ft (It was cool to do this as so many places in Africa came close despite actually being cities)

Lowest - Dead Sea, Israel -1340 feet

Most remote - hard to say but have been a few places that seemed far out there

Southern boring country boy here but here are my meager contributions.
N-Utica NY
S-Jamaica
E-Utica NY
W-Granbury Tx. by car, Honolulu Hi by plane
Hi-Clingmans Dome Tn/NC
Lo-Ga,Fl,Al.- sea level
Remote- Backwoods of Ga, Tn, NC, Ky, and Ar. Banjo Country!

Last edited:
I'll play:

North: Fairbanks, AK
South: Melbourne, Australia
East: also Melbourne, Australia
West: Honolulu, HI
Highest: Mt. Evans, CO (14,267 feet)
Lowest: ~ 6 ft below sea level, snorkeling or during some big minus tides in southeast Alaska.

Most remote - this one depends on definition of remote, probably the Mahakam River Delta, Kalimantan, Indonesia (on the island of Borneo) although there were other people around. Most isolated would probably be Uganik Lake, Kodiak Island, AK no other humans within many miles, access only by floatplane.

I've never been further north than Dallas, or east of Nacogdoches or west of Austin or south of Houston,,,,,,, for more than a week at a time.

We live close to the Greenwich Meridian so furthest east and west from home is from that perspective.

North: Nordkapp, Norway. About 71 degrees north, well past the Arctic Circle. Extremely windy and cold, struggled to stay on our feet at times.

South: Tasman sea south of New Zealand on board a cruise ship, approx latitude -47 degrees. Saw albatrosses flying low and skimming the wave tops.

East: Napier, New Zealand longitude 177 deg E. Amazing town, the center of which had been rebuilt in the 1930’s in the art decor style following a big earthquake in 1931.

West: Honolulu 158 deg W. Stopped for a few days with young kids on our way to Australia in 1989

Highest: Pike’s Peak, Colorado, 14,115’ via cog railway. Fabulous clear day but very windy and cold.

Lowest: Badwater Basin, Death Valley, California. 282 feet below sea level.

Most remote: somewhere in the Atlantic or Pacific oceans on board cruise ships.

Last edited:
No extensive travel:
N: Skagway Alaska
S: Hawaiian National Volcano Park
E: Boston Massachusetts
W: Wiamea, Kauai

It is a good thought experiment. Pretty simple for me. Let's see:

1. North: Theodore Roosevelt National Park, ND
2. South: Key West, FL, at the marker, of course
3. East: Jordan River, just east of Jerico
4. West: Muir Woods National Monument, CA
5. Lowest: Dead Sea
6. Highest: Mt. Washburn, Yellowstone NP, 10,000 ft
7. Most remote: somewhere on a trail in Great Smokies National park. "remote" has many meanings. We were pretty remote somewhere in Utah, but still on a road where a car would at least come by every 15 minutes or so. Deep in the Smokies isn't remote on some levels, but by foot, it was remote.

Made me look:

1. Furthest North - Lofoten Islands, Norway 68.50N

2. Furthest South and Farthest East - Stewart Island NZ, 47S, 168E

3. Farthest West - Hawaii

5. Highest point - several mountains, about 12,000 ft.

6. Lowest point - Dead Sea, -1,400

7. Most remote - Not sure what is "remote." Galapagos Islands, maybe. (1200km from Guayaquil, Ecuador), Southern Ethiopia tribal areas maybe (2 day walk to nearest market town)

Directions are based on the direction our plane took to get there. Starting point, Pennsylvania USA.

North: The Atlantic Road, north of Vevang, Norway.
South: Sydney, Australia
East: Sea of Galilee, Israel
West: Sydney, Australia
Highest: Mt. Davis, outside Denver, CO
Lowest: Uncertain. snorkeling a little below Sea Level, I think.

Most remote: On a cruise ship somewhere, I'm sure.

All: I've been to all 50 states.

All with my feet on the ground

North: Fairbanks AK, during the summer solstice
South: Johannesburg South Africa
East: Zambia
West: Moloka'i HI
Highest: Cusco Peru
Lowest: New Orleans -8'

A week at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, with a friend and 2 young women from New Jersey. Only living sole besides rafters was a guy with no shoes, but great pharmaceuticals.

A week at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, with a friend and 2 young women from New Jersey. Only living sole besides rafters was a guy with no shoes, but great pharmaceuticals.

My time there was at Phantom Ranch. Very cool, but hardly remote.

There are some very remote areas down there, and it sounds like you got the chance to experience them to their fully enhanced maximum.:cool:

1. Furthest north: Reykjavik, Iceland, 64+° N. Right after college (1979), going to Europe for 6 weeks with my brother.

2. Furthest south: Te Anau, New Zealand, -45.4° S. Honeymoon. 1991.

3. Farthest East - Stockholm, Sweden -- work trip. 18° E, 1985-1989. Just beats Vienna, 16.4° E.

4. Farthest West - Chiang Mai, Thailand -- vacation with our 6 & 8 yr old boys. 99° E, 2003.

5. Highest point - Warmi Wañusqa (Dead Woman's Pass) on the Inca Trail, hiking to Machu Picchu. 13828', 1993? I'm embarrassed to admit I've lived in Colorado over 40 years and I never made it up a 14er. No wait!! I drove up to the top of Pikes Peak! 14115' But that's cheating.

6. 100' below sea level, diving just outside Cozumel. 2016 or so.

7. Most remote - uh. Hiking through the jungle in Thailand? 3 day hike on the Inca Trail? Canoeing in northern Minnesota, 30 miles from the nearest road or building? Out on the ocean in the Caribbean?

Had to do some googling to confirm latitudes and longitudes:

North: Chena Hot Springs, Alaska 65° N
South: Dunedin, New Zealand 46° S

East/West: We took a World Cruise that left Los Angeles and headed west until we came back to Los Angeles 137 days later. We crossed the Equator 4 times, as well as the International Date Line and the Prime Meridian.

Highest: Mauna Loa Volcano in Hawaii 13,679 ft
Lowest: Scuba diving in Aruba -33 ft

Most Remote: Komodo Island...just a few people and a bunch of dragons

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom