Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Fat FIRE splurge - Aside from Dream beach homes, World Travel, New Boat/Yacht, did a
Old 09-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fat FIRE splurge - Aside from Dream beach homes, World Travel, New Boat/Yacht, did a

Just curious - I’ve read some people achieving Fat FIRE and splurging on that awesome beach front dream home, or mountain home, lake home, vacation home, luxurious world travel in Europe, new boat/yacht, etc. but have not read any Car enthusiast retirees splurging on a SuperCar.

I suppose this question is really for the Car enthusiast, not for those who view vehicles just as a mode of transport.

I know some Car enthusiast can afford supercars while working, but may not do so because of co-worker envy, co-worker trying to borrow the car, etc. I bought an Audi sports coupe once and my co-workers were pestering me on it, and it wasn’t even a supercar. But once you retire, you dont have that pressure from coworkers wanting to borrow your Lambo. Lol.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Just curious - I’ve read some people achieving Fat FIRE and splurging on that awesome beach front dream home, or mountain home, lake home, vacation home, luxurious world travel in Europe, new boat/yacht, etc. but have not read any Car enthusiast retirees splurging on a SuperCar.

I suppose this question is really for the Car enthusiast, not for those who view vehicles just as a mode of transport.

I know some Car enthusiast can afford supercars while working, but may not do so because of co-worker envy, co-worker trying to borrow the car, etc. I bought an Audi sports coupe once and my co-workers were pestering me on it, and it wasn’t even a supercar. But once you retire, you dont have that pressure from coworkers wanting to borrow your Lambo. Lol.
There was a poster here a few months ago who spoke about desires for a supercar - don't remember his name.
As for me, yes the Lambo was always a dream of mine, but alas it just doesn't fit into the retirement budget. DGF says never give up the dream, but driving a Lambo at 70 for example just doesn't work.
I am settling for my currently owned BMW Z4 with the M engine. Still have a lot of fun with it.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We went back and forth about a Porsche for years; it was a dream of Mr. A's. Ultimately, we decided it would be cruel to such a car, to drive it under local travel conditions. There is literally no place around here where you can let it fly. Unless it's one of those after-midnight drag race things, that we used to hear around 2 a.m....haven't heard those in a while, come to think of it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
There is literally no place around here where you can let it fly. Unless it's one of those after-midnight drag race things, that we used to hear around 2 a.m....haven't heard those in a while, come to think of it.
Darlin', you just ain't livin in the right part of the country.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I debated working OMY and buying a new Corvette, since the money differential would've covered the car.

NAW, rather not be working. And I thought I would definitely be treated differently at work if I showed up in a new Vette.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #6

Before super cars were called super cars, I had a Aston-Martin DB6 for a few years that would be worth $700,000 today. I do not own a car today but there is a new Aston Martin dealer about 5 blocks from my apartment that I pass by several times a week with three models outside. As of yet I have not had the urge to cross the street and inquire.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We went back and forth about a Porsche for years; it was a dream of Mr. A's. Ultimately, we decided it would be cruel to such a car, to drive it under local travel conditions. There is literally no place around here where you can let it fly. Unless it's one of those after-midnight drag race things, that we used to hear around 2 a.m....haven't heard those in a while, come to think of it.
A Porsche is not drag race material. It's too good for that.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
There was a poster here a few months ago who spoke about desires for a supercar - don't remember his name.
As for me, yes the Lambo was always a dream of mine, but alas it just doesn't fit into the retirement budget. DGF says never give up the dream, but driving a Lambo at 70 for example just doesn't work.
I am settling for my currently owned BMW Z4 with the M engine. Still have a lot of fun with it.
The other day I passed a gorgeous 370Z on the road when we both pulled up at the light I looked over .The driver had to be about an 80 year old woman .It is never too late for your dream car .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #9

Those great, high priced cars seem to me to be very similar to great, high priced wristwatches. People don't buy them because they want the fun of driving them or in order to get more accurate timekeeping.

Spent an afternoon last month walking through the Knightsbridge area of London, and saw at least a couple dozen Bentleys and Rolls-Royces. Their owners aren't ever going to be putting the pedal to the metal (if they even drive them themselves).
Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #10

I really wanted to buy an airplane. After looking at the numbers, I decided to rent instead.
It is so nice to have someone to park it for you, gas it up, and clean the windshield
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not a huge purchase. I always wanted a Solara convertable. So I bought one. Took a while to get one that only had 60K and was not driven in the winter. But I found one.

That is as much of a car enthusiast as I get.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Spent an afternoon last month walking through the Knightsbridge area of London, and saw at least a couple dozen Bentleys and Rolls-Royces. Their owners aren't ever going to be putting the pedal to the metal (if they even drive them themselves).
In the area I worked it wasn't uncommon to see a Bentley or Rolls-Royce drive by. They were always being driven at a stately 5 mph under the speed limit. I guess at that price point "hurry" is not in one's vocabulary.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a new 2014 Corvette a few years after I retired.
I had wanted one since I was 17 but didn't get it until I was 57.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Not really a fat FIRE splurge, but maybe a midlife crisis. I bought a new corvette in 2001 when I was still working. Made for a fun work commute. And I still have fun driving it.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My only splurge was the 2nd home, and it was before I retired. Seeing my father in misery at the end of life convinced me I should not wait.

If I did not buy and put that money in the market instead, would have a nice chunk of money now. But the 15 years I enjoyed it would be hard to price.

I stopped caring about cars in my early 30s, ever since I bought that minivan when its genre just appeared on the market. It was to haul my first born. It marked the beginning of a new phase of my life as a family man.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Getting the fat part down...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I inherited 1/2 of the family lake house. Then we had to replace our 28 year old boat. Then came the Waverunner for the kid. And I had to buyout my sister's half of the lake house. And next came a fifth wheel RV to replace our 22 year old travel trailer kept in the mountains.

Only then did I get my Jaguar XK8 convertible. But I bought it cheap.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Getting the fat part down...

[emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Cyber, not sure I understand how a super car is different than any other 'splurge'. DW has another year to go. I've been out of the 9 to 5 for 4 yrs. We've done minor splurges for 20 years in the career. When they feel right and do fit the budget, they are fantastic. In no way is a 2017 fiat spider a super car, but we got one this spring. The fiat doesn't make happiness for us, but it does amplify happiness.

My brother is a big fan of the TV auto auctions. I never payed any attention. After watching a few, there are some really cool cars that can be had (for 10-20k) and played with before turning it back over. Once the kids are off of the car insurance, I will look into another toy Du Jour. Probably, I'll share it with my brother and the nephews and nieces for a little while.

Cheers,

Chris
newellcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Those great, high priced cars seem to me to be very similar to great, high priced wristwatches. People don't buy them because they want the fun of driving them or in order to get more accurate timekeeping.

Funny how owners of such vehicles in Knightsbridge and Kensington neighborhoods park up on the sidewalks and not one gets a ticket.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote