Favorite Podcasts

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I haven't seen a thread on this, so wondering what are some favorite podcasts among us. Mine are

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
NPR Fresh Air
Five Thirty Eight
Car Talk

Freakonomics
Criminal (a little uneven, but has some interesting, obscure stories)
Death, Sex & Money
Fresh Air
Strangers
Question of the Day

Plus a bunch of other more sports or hobby-specific ones. The amount of truly excellent free content available is nothing short of amazing.

I read a daily paper but other than that I get most of my news from outside the US. That includes BBC Documentaries, BBC Business Daily, Tagesschau.de (daily video news in German) and france3.fr news in French, also video.

Also love In Our Time in BBC, in which Melvin Bragg and 3 academic experts discuss a subject in depth- anything from Plate Tectonics, Aggrippina the Younger, Fermat's Last Theorem to St. Thomas Aquinas.

I like UBS's morning podcast (plus their weekly one in French) for investment topics, as well as Cramer's Mad Money.

Tedtalks
Rick Steve's travel
TrainerRoad (biking fitness nerd podcast)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In addition to those already mentioned:
- 60-Second Science
- Ask Me Another
- Planet Money
- Lexicon Valley
- Special Sauce

Oh, yeah- add Planet Money and Freakonomics. I listen to podcasts while working out, weeding, mowing the lawn, doing household chores and when I'm driving alone- so I go through a lot of them.

Science Friday and Freakonomics, but already mentioned.

- ERD50

My favorites are:

The Thomas Jefferson Hour: Portrayal of TJ by a Jefferson scholar concerning historical issues and current issues of the day viewed through the eyes of TJ.

The Bowery Boys: Discussion of various New York City historical topics.

History Extra Podcast - From the English BBC regarding various historical issues usually European in nature but not always.

I like Adam Corolla. But I listen rarely, a little goes a long way.

I haven't seen a thread on this, so wondering what are some favorite podcasts among us. Mine are

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
NPR Fresh Air
Five Thirty Eight
Car Talk

How many decades - Fresh Air and Car Talk?

Although I understand only half of the discussion TWIV - This Week in Virology, scientists who know their stuff and have a sense of humor. Download #373 for an interesting discussion of the polio vaccine backstory.

Many of the aforementioned are also on my list.

My favorites:

Waking Up
Serial
Stuff You Should Know
Skepticality
Radiolab
Unsolved

How many decades - Fresh Air and Car Talk?
I'm a latecomer to NPR, began listening just a couple of years ago it when my brother and SiL invited me to go see a taping of "Wait Wait". I have to admit I'm hooked, NPR now accounts for more than 3/4 of my radio time and all my podcast subscriptions but one.

I'm a latecomer to NPR, began listening just a couple of years ago it when my brother and SiL invited me to go see a taping of "Wait Wait". I have to admit I'm hooked, NPR now accounts for more than 3/4 of my radio time and all my podcast subscriptions but one.

Well - you've got decades of shows to catch up on then!!!

Masterpiece Theater
You Must Remember This

And others already mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've been using the new(ish) NPR One app to catch some stuff that I usually had to dial up on podcasts, including Freakonomics. It is quite convenient.
But I do like listening to Behavior Gap on podcast, and also the occasional Longest Shortest podcast.
I read Five Thirty Eight on Flipboard--thanks for the tip that they have a podcast as well.

EconTalk, Hard Core History, and lots of tech podcasts (ATP, Security Now, MacBreak Weekly, TWIT, Ctrl-Walt-Delete).

On Point with Tom Ashbrook
Science Friday with Ira Flatow

60 minutes - actually not bad with just audio

Ross Tucker Football (NFL)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm a huge podcast fan - and I've got a bunch more to try out based on the responses here.

My current favorites:
Left, Right, and Center
FiveThirtyEight Elections
NPR Politics Podcast
Intelligence Squared US Debates
The Torch; The Great Courses Podcast
and I've just started to listen to Stacking Benjamins

A couple that I used to listen to frequently but don't anymore (but would still recommend)
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
Planet Money

Back
Top Bottom