Join Early Retirement Today

FI - RE = ??
Old 05-04-2005, 07:28 AM   #1

FI - RE = ??

In a few months, I will be (very modestly) financially independent.* However, aside from taking some major time off and settling into a more relaxed routine, I am probably not ready to actually "retire."*

So I am scrathing around for a second career that is completely different from my first.* That is, I want to edge away from the techical fields.* My only requirement is that the position allow more time off than the conventional job, or some form of flexible scheduling.* Barring that, a job that is just so in demand that I could quit for a few months, then hire on somewhere else.* Ideally, the job would actually make a difference to someone, incrementally helping the community rather than just producing something or making $$.* Although I can fantacize about a mindless low stress job as much as anyone, the reality is that I will eventually want to challenge myself.* So this will be a career change, other than just finding a "job."

Ideally, I wouldn't have to go to school or training for more than a couple of years.* Here are a few thoughts, maybe someone could help me out with more?

Teacher (pros:* satisfaction, adequate time off;* negs: would require certifying if other than a private school)

Nursing (pros:* in demand, excellent pay among some sub-specialties;* negs:* would require a couple of years for schooling for a second bachelors, vague stigma about male nurses <but I cold probabably get over that>, many nurses I talk to seem really, really burned out)

Caseworker/Counselor (pros:* did it before, satisfaction;* cons: probably would invest in a couple of years to get an MSW or MEd or equivalent, low pay, time off may be more limited, I more than occasionally would feel compelled to slap the client around, and tell them to stop whining 'cause "you think YOU have problems?!* well let me show you what REAL problems are...")

Any others aside from owning your own business?

Thx,

tozz
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FI - RE = ??
Old 05-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Become a teacher, my parents were. Great time off, match your kids schedule (if you want kids), if the money situation is secure, you can get good health coverage and other bennies that nicely round out a nest egg. Just don't teach Jr. High!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

In re: nursing

Burnout is often a function of area of assignment rather than dissatisfaction with the general field. For instance, ER nurses are more jaded than maternity nurses.

A pitfall is the paperwork. You spend more time on paperwork than patient.

Are you prepared for shiftwork?

Good luck...

Ed

gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi tozz,

You might want to look into being a substitute teacher. The
demand is pretty high (in Texas at least) especially for persons
with technical experience in science, math or computing. The
entry requirements are not too severe, I think, the pay is OK,
and best of all ...... you can pick and choose when to work.

I also considered the RE field and income tax prep .... even took
training in both ...... before I settled on buying a sideline
laundromat business.

Don't discount operating a small business before checking it out.
The tax benefits for charging off car expense and health insurance
are pretty good.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Substitute teacher sounds ok, however want to be careful, as the full-time teachers pay into their own retirement which under the windfall provisions of the irs, means you could lose your social security.
i would be way careful until i got a ruling.
Helios
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sub teaching: pay varies wildly. Where I currently live (in the South), the local district pays $65/ day-- Ugg. A friend who teaches up in Washington state says her district pays $110. The neat thing is many districts have on-line sign-ins so you can check on-line in the morning for any openings and sign yourself up if you feel like working.

School districts often having paid part-time coaching jobs open.

I admire you for wanting to stay plugged in and make a contribution!

My local school district hires teachers without certificates in certain fields as long as they agree to sign up for an emergency certification program (online classes). Usually they hire folks who have subbed for awhile in the district and have proven that they can handle the job, rather than people who just send in an application. The catch is that my local district is quite a challenging place to teach. The good districts around here never have to hire noncertified teachers and can pick the cream of the crop.

I would suggest subbing for awhile to see if you like it. If so, look into alternative certif. programs in your state (most states have several ways to do this). Get your certif. while you sub, and wait for an opening in a school you really like- once they get to know you and what a great teacher you are, they'll want to hire you!

Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tozz, do you mind telling how old you are?

If you are used to having a lot of autonomy, some of these jobs you mention may not be much fun IMO.

Mikey
Old 05-04-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

tozz--
RN for 20 years here...I love our male nurses--please don't be worried about that at all. I notice they tend to gravitate toward the military (30% of nurse population) and also high-stress areas such as ER, ICU and anesthesia.
I'm in the same boat as you however in wanting a different area--you see truly the best and worst of your fellow humans as a nurse--it is gut wrenching at times. I personally want a job where I don't have to see any more dead people. Hopefully, that's a wide open field.
[sorry--bad night at work last night]
Old 05-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My dad was a branch manager for a financial company, and he retired, pretty burned out at age 50. He took about 6 months off, and then wanted to do something else.

They lived next door to a school, so pretty soon he got a job there as a recreation supervisor. He loved it, and the kids loved him. Anywhere he went around town, kids knew him, He worked about 5 hours per day, got paid health benefits, and even built up a second pension in the PERS system.

He retired again, and then he had 2 pensions, plus social security, plus a bunch of stock.

Pretty cool.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Having just watched "meet the fockers" I've had enough of the male nurse jokes for a while...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #11

47, Mikey.* As a (soon to be ex) mid-level functionary in a major north american government, I am well acquainted with a "lack of autonomy."* As an aside, my past financial excesses drove me to moonlighting ten years ago.* Drove a cab in Boston.* Big 'ol bad-ass Caprice ex-police cruiser.* Gang graffiti on the passenger/driver compartment bullet shield.* Terrified the poor Brits when I would pull into the international terminal at Logan and, pointing to the graffittied passenger compartment, ask "where to?"* Boylston Street parted like the red sea when they saw my battered junker heaving their way.* Did the 4pm to 4am shift.* Fraternized with druggies homosexuals and thieves.* Met interesting characters and always said I'd write a book (right!).* Never did.

Weirdly, loved the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
Tozz, do you mind telling how old you are?* If you are used to having a lot of autonomy, some of these jobs you mention may not be much fun IMO.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:38 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the FI but I am still concerned about leaving with a good paying job. It would be easier if they would just fire me........
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #13

Run for some local political office. No experience required. Line your pockets with tax dollars today, and pave the road for a lucrative government contracting job tomorrow while drawing a government pension. Hard to beat that.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #14

Hey atl.............I feel your pain man. Reminds me of my
first marriage, i.e. it would be a lot easier if she just left

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #15

Hello tozz! Enjoyed the cab driving adventures. Made me think of what
I did from 1977 to 1980. I ran a manufacturing company in
the Detroit inner city. Dirty, high crime, tough union, and a financial
basket case to boot. Most fun I ever had working. Go figure.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #16

Hi Tozz,

My DW took up substitute teaching after we retired. She was an electrical engineer prior to that. We have been traveling almost 1/3 of the time since we retired, so substitute teaching doesn't get in the way. If we want to go somewhere, we do. If we are home, she considers taking a class. She only likes to teach K through grade 3, but she can get a sub job almost any school day she wants. We live in Arizona. It only pays $85/day here, but we don't need the money and she enjoys it.

The other day a met a really interesting woman. She's 83 years old and just took a job as coroner in her county. She lives in NM. It requires a certain amount of sensitivity and some weird hours. It does not require any medical experience or knowledge. But apparently, there are other people who can fill in if she isn't available.

My DW and I also work for our county election board. We only work during elections, but the election board needs some people full time. They also have temporary jobs that run several weeks a year. They have approached me on several occasions and asked me if I was interested in working more often.

Good luck.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Nursing (pros:* in demand, excellent pay among some sub-specialties;* negs:* would require a couple of years for schooling for a second bachelors
A bachelors is not required ... many community colleges have 2 & 3 yr nursing programs and those graduates are just as much in demand with the new nursing-patient staffing ratios or limited supply of graduates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
My DW and I also work for our county election board.* We only work during elections, but the election board needs some people full time.* They also have temporary jobs that run several weeks a year.* They have approached me on several occasions and asked me if I was interested in working more often.
I work for the elections dept as well, now they have me listed as a trainer for the new computerized voting machines ... I'll max out at 173 hrs per year [no set weekly schedule], plus the elections. Banking the extra money if I can stand the hours* :P Also do very part-time tax prep ... a day a week a few months out of the year.* Save that too .... eventually I might want it. I actually have more now than when I retired

I seem to have fallen back into a strange schedule but I don't want to work one day a week like several FIRE friends who are returning to work
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #18

Thanks, all. Great insights. I've been slogging through the archives, and know from reading the other threads that this isn't a second career board. It's an early retirement board. However it seems as if a lot of you have gone through some sort of "transition" and have some unique perspectives. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Nursing (pros:* in demand, excellent pay among some sub-specialties;* negs:* would require a couple of years for schooling for a second bachelors, vague stigma about male nurses <but I cold probabably get over that>, many nurses I talk to seem really, really burned out)
I wouldn't suggest it, unless it's been something you've always wanted to do.* Why would anyone who was even minimally FI want to do shift work, weekends and holidays and be at the bottom of the chain of command? (You know the saying, ?*#% slides down)* Come to your senses man! Nursing has lots of problems right now and it will be interesting* to see what will happen to the profession. In another thread there was a discussion of women not asking for more money on hire or raises; that's the main problem with nursing. Most take whatever crumbs handed to them and are grateful that they have a job. :P* And jobs are being filled by nurses brought in from other countries to help 'ease the shortage". ..*
Sorry, I know this is not a nursing forum but it just chaps my hide!

Judy
Old 05-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #20

(relegating Judy to the really really burned out category...)**