Finally did it. today was my last day

midwestguy

Recycles dryer sheets
Finally retired. Actually just before i was going to tell mega corp i was going to retire, they told me they they didn’t need me after 38+ years. Just turned 60. Worked out they gave me an additional 6 months pay and health insurance until year end.

I think i can survive financially,just hope i wont miss working

Well, after 38 years you should be ready for a new journey. You may miss work but you should have a plan and retire too something. Eventually you will find your way and might even think you should of done it sooner.

I wish you well and have fun and find your interests going forward.

Congratulations! I'm envious of your bonus prizes of severance pay and health insurance. Personally, after one year and a couple of months I still wake up every day with the same thought: I don't have to go to work today! I'm sure you will, too.

woo-hoo! A package when you are already ready is the golden sweet spot! +cobra means you don't have to worry about healthcare for 2 years.

Let yourself feel uncomfortable for the first few weeks (it's normal).

Good for you and welcome to the club!

Welcome to the rest of your life. Don't sweat it. You will find lots of stuff to do and experience the magical feeling of a retired Monday morning.

I hope i will not be bored. Everyone keeps asking what am i going to do all day. It seems i am busy every weekend and most evenings. It seems like i have a a couple of years of unfinished projects. Have some rental property that should keep me busy.

Many companies have figured out they can trade experience.for lower salaried, less mature employees. But they pay out the nose to send employees to the house.

My company retired all over 55 years of age in 2008. Best thing to happen to.all of us. I felt terrible every Monday signing into the state unemployment computer telling it I was out job seeking--for 50 weeks.

Congratulations to you. Take a few weeks to do absolutely nothing.

Congrats! Lucky you to start retirement at the very beginning of a Chicago summer, too—you’re going to have a great one!

Congratulations! I just realized I have been retired 5 years today. I have not been bored for a minute, I hope you find things the same.

It's nice not to have to race through my life outside of work to get everything done. It's really nice to be able to stroll through the grocery store or walk to the gym instead of drive.

I hope you keep us posted!

Good for you! I put in 50 years in Aerospace (I started young), and the day I left I gave it zero thought!
Enjoy the rest of your lives.:)

Congratulations.
Tomorrow you can post it’s your first day.
Hope you enjoy retirement as much as i am doing, there is plenty to do if you are prepared to get out and try new stuff.

Congrats and welcome to the Free Zone! It's way better over here.

Yup, you'll have to figure out what you want to do here. We're too busy doing our stuff, so we don't have time to assign any stuff to you. :LOL:

Seriously, if you were busy while w*rking, you'll probably be fine in retirement. That is my case as is with many folks here.

Congratulations! I hope you can view this as a serendipitous event and be happy it led you to your next chapter a little sooner than planned. This happened to a good friend of mine last summer, and she has been thrilled with her newfound free time.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy ER doing what you want to do! [emoji322]

Congrats...welcome to the better side of your life! :dance:

omni

Congratulations!
My first Sunday night/Monday morning combo was the most delightful--no prep the night before and no alarm setting. Enjoy
If you haven't already read Ernie Zelinsky "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free", I recommend it.

Congratulations! And Congrats on getting a cool severance package like that, out of them. I was hoping something like that would come up when I retired, but despite rumors to the contrary the RIF didn't happen (oh well).

Now, the best part of life begins! :D I just love being retired and being free to do what I want all day.

Finally retired. Actually just before i was going to tell mega corp i was going to retire, they told me they they didn’t need me after 38+ years. Just turned 60. Worked out they gave me an additional 6 months pay and health insurance until year end.
I think you can call this serendipity! Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom