Finally entering retirement

Willers

Full time employment: Posting here.
Today is finally my last day.

Thank you everyone on this board for your wisdom during the time I lurked and then joined. I'm not sure I ever would have had the confidence to pull the trigger and stop OMY'ing without reading about all of your experiences and taking your advice.

It's great to have a place to share these experiences with those that understand and are really positive about it.

I gave about three weeks notice and looking back probably could have given a week less. It was interesting telling my boss and seeing the change in him, from shock in the first few minutes, to acceptance in the next few, to "I've moved on and what is my plan?" in the last few. It was also interesting to have my opinion go from critical to worthless in just a few days. I knew it was coming, but it is a good reminder that the world definitely goes on without us. My advice is to give the least amount of notice possible. People move on pretty quickly in most cases.

I've read a lot on the site about the reactions of others so I was curious how it would be here. Overall, people have been very positive. I haven't gotten any negativity and I appreciate that. A few said the were jealous, a few asked for my financial advisor's name :) and the rest just said that they were happy for me.

I didn't want an event, but am having drinks with some people tonight. When I said I didn't want anything I had someone come into my office and use an interesting comparison. He asked "is a funeral really for the dead person"? I got it and I guess I should be happy that people are interested in getting together.

I now feel like a complete beginner again, this time in the art of spending down our nest egg. I had the saving part down; staring to spend feels really alien to me. Is this normal?

I can't wait for Sunday night when I realize it is really Saturday night every day. Thanks again everyone for helping me get here.

Congratulations, Willers.

Like you, I didn't want a formal lunch, whatever... but did meet friends at a brewery tasting room that was across the street from my work, after I'd loaded my car at the end of the day.

Decumulation is defintely a change of mindset. You'll adapt...

Congratulations on starting this new phase of your life.

Congratulations! :dance:

Yes, it's a little weird to be spending from one's nestegg instead of adding to it. But I think you'll get used to it soon.

Every day's a Saturday when you're retired. Glad you are enjoying it. :D

Today is finally my last day.

It was also interesting to have my opinion go from critical to worthless in just a few days. .

+1... I gave 4 months notice and immediately became invisible to corporate and eventually to the people that worked for me. It was fascinating to see all the politics and jockeying for position with the incoming manager. Reinforced the fact that everyone had an agenda. Mostly harmless and just wanting to stay relevant and safe.

Congrats! Enjoy your last day and the beginning of the rest of your life!

Congratulations on finally getting here!

Since you've given three weeks notice, why not go out on as high a note as you can? I retired last year, my boss actually gave a party for me, and I was surprised at how many people showed up from all over the organization. I was even more surprised at how moved I was that people thought that much of me. In the end, it's the relationships we have that matter.

As to decumulation, I did two things last year (one inadvertent, the other not) that really helped me transition into spending without income. One, I had overestimated a remodeling project and therefore didn't have to withdraw from my PF all year. This really helped psychologically with being retired and yet not taking PF withdrawals.

Second, I had specifically changed my AA to 40/60 to lessen the impact of a negative SOR and to increase the probability of having a SWAN PF (based on my own risk tolerance estimation) in the event the stock market did what it is now doing. Consequently, my PF has been minimally impacted by recent market events and decumulating is much easier.

Congratulations! My husband also just retired yesterday. He didn't want an event either.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I now feel like a complete beginner again, this time in the art of spending down our nest egg. I had the saving part down; staring to spend feels really alien to me. Is this normal?

I am not comfortable with the idea of spending down either, but I stumbled into a CD ladder that should meet my needs for awhile.

Congrats! I retired a year ago today.

It's been great and I haven't looked back. The first few months were new and a bit odd not having to go to the office, but in the last few months a new normal is beginning to form. I'm finally rested and pursuing interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It is definitely a change but you'll get used to it. And the "every day is Saturday" is something you're going to like. A lot.

And if you get a lot of snow, not having to go out in it if you don't want to is a huge plus.

I can't wait for Sunday night when I realize it is really Saturday night every day. Thanks again everyone for helping me get here.

It took my about a year to get the impending doom that the clicking tock used to signal every Sunday evening on "60 Minutes".

Congrats! You are going to love Monday mornings. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations on finally getting here!

Since you've given three weeks notice, why not go out on as high a note as you can? I retired last year, my boss actually gave a party for me, and I was surprised at how many people showed up from all over the organization. I was even more surprised at how moved I was that people thought that much of me. In the end, it's the relationships we have that matter.

That's what happened last night. I just woke up after sleeping off the after-work meet up. I showed up and there were quite a few people there to say goodbye. The spotlight is never something I want, but I will also admit that it was pretty cool to have that many people tell you that they'll miss you. It was a great way to go out. Yeah, the relationships are what matters.

And if you get a lot of snow, not having to go out in it if you don't want to is a huge plus.

DW brings this up all the time. She says she loves watching the snow knowing that she has nowhere she has to be.

Thanks everyone! I'm thrilled to have finally joined the "unemployed" on this board.

After my experience I do encourage anyone that is leaving to accept a party/lunch/whatever if people want to do it for you. The thought may be uncomfortable, but you will not regret it.

Back
Top Bottom