Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Finally Free
Old 06-21-2006, 04:19 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

My last day of teaching was Thursday.* I gave my 34* students a*classroom party to celebrate the last day of school, which included a showing of, "Summer of the Monkeys" and a hot dog barbeque.* My wife who always wanted to see me teach was able to do so* last week, as she retired at the end of May. She helped me in the classroom a few days the last week, including the last day of school.*

We had our customary memory book signing on the last day also.* It was fun watching the kids writing things in each others'* books. What was really amusing is that they actully lined up to get my wife's autograph as well. I guess the 5th graders thought it was exciting to get the signature of the teacher's wife.

The teachers' union gave me a nice* party the previous week, while my school gave me a retirement party a few days later. I enjoyed seeing people I had worked with before, but may have not seen them for several years (we have a large school district).* Most people congratulated me, while a couple of retirees said, "You're too young to retire."* Many people, however, admitted that they were envious.

It feels good not to have to go to work anymore. I am used to having the summers off anyway, so the euphoria may not fully blossom until the middle of August when I usually begin preparing my classroom for a new school year.

We've had our San Diego home listed now since April 8th.* We've had* 2 offers, but our agent advised us to decline both, because they were contigent upon the sale of their own homes, which were extremely overpriced.*

Now that school is out, I think more people will be looking at homes. I view the present time as a slowly closing window of opportunity to sell our home before there is a critical slowdown in real estate in this area. Once our home is sold and closes escrow, we'll be living in a less expensive area.

I want to thank* Early Retirement Forum for all of your insight into helping* me make the decision to retire early. I feel that I am now in a totally new and exciting phase of* life with have far less stress and hopefully more happiness.

Retire Soon

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

What a wonderful post!* Very many congratulations on your Early Retirement.* So inspirational.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon
We had our customary memory book signing on the last day also.* It was fun watching the kids writing things in each others'* books. What was really amusing is that they actully lined up to get my wife's autograph as well. I guess the 5th graders thought it was exciting to get the signature of the teacher's wife.
How sweet!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:57 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, RetireSoon!! *I have admired so many of your postings over these last few months, and greatly admire your teaching career, your philosophy on life and the time we are given, health, activities, etc. *

Hope you (and we ALL) will enjoy many, many years of joy and fulfillment.

Was recently sent a bumper sticker from a catering business in Asheville, NC that so aptly states: * DON'T POSTPONE JOY!

It's there for us everyday.....and now is the time to go for it. *

Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #25

Thank you, I appreciate the words of encouragement.

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry Night
Was recently sent a bumper sticker from a catering business in Asheville, NC that so aptly states: * DON'T POSTPONE JOY!
Love that bumper sticker. Can I steal it?

Congrats to Retire Soon. No more postponing, eh?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Retire Soon
I wonder if the office will have a memory book signing party for me? I will be lucky if someone* brings doughnuts for our morning coffee.*
Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I wonder if the office will have a memory book signing party for me? I will be lucky if someone* brings doughnuts for our morning coffee.*
My first ER, I left early and managed to duck most of the glad-handing and "party." My fellow worker bees inmates[/s did manange to produce a small cake which was quickly cut right before I cut out for the last time. My DW on the other hand, went the whole 9 yards with full blown company purchased party, 2 hour receiving line and many gifts from co-workers (all are now boxed up awaiting final disposition---the gifts not the co-workers).

When I leave this place I plan no party beyond a brief cake and soft drink social in the lunch room. I know I won't be allowed to escape that and in a way I think it will be nice to get the "closure" on my whole career with it. Closure is a good thing and some need it more than others. I don't have any real "issues" with my current job like I did my last one so a closure party or two will be nice. DW will be doing the same at her place of work.

The countdown continues....12 months 25 days and 5 hours...not that I am counting....
Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I know I won't be allowed to escape that and in a way I think it will be nice to get the "closure" on my whole career with it.* Closure is a good thing and some need it more than others.* I don't have any real "issues" with my current job like I did my last one so a closure party or two will be nice.* DW will be doing the same at her place of work.*
The countdown continues....12 months 25 days and 5 hours...not that I am counting....
Sure you can. Tell everyone your last day is on Friday.

Then leave 9:30 AM Thursday morning.

Even the most paranoid cynics won't start trying to track you until after Thu lunch.

Closure can be over-rated. It can also be done at home or at a local restaurant with real friends, not just the people you had to work next to.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Sure you can.* Tell everyone your last day is on Friday.

Then leave 9:30 AM Thursday morning.*

Even the most paranoid cynics won't start trying to track you until after Thu lunch.

Closure can be over-rated.* It can also be done at home or at a local restaurant with real friends, not just the people you had to work next to.
I think it comes down to individual wants and desires rather than a "need" at least in my case. DW wants the party with her fellow worker bees. It is her desire to do so and I encourage it. For me, I don't care either way. I have a few folks here I care about but most everyone else is just a co-worker and some have been more a pain than others. Since there is no official "retirement" from here as such, I can fade out as I please. I have a year to think it over so I may change my mind a few times by then.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:29 PM   #31

Retire Soon,
Congrats and welcome to the rest of your life. These first few days are ones to savor. Looking back, I remember the first few weeks of ER as akin to the feeling of falling in love the first time. Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:53 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats and wishing you good health and happiness !!!

Yup, I second ESRBob's point. My first week back in April was bliss ....... and that "first week" feeling has lingered these last three mths.

Freedom is priceless.

Now, ...... back to doing what I do best nowadays ......*goofing off in my backyard after a good workout (yeah, try weeding and mulching in the tropics) with my fine smorgasbord of fruit juices and finger foods and trusty laptop and kids in the pool and ..... time for a nap.* 8)

Here's to the real life .......

True wealth is not measured by what you have, but is measured by what you don&#039;t need.<br />~ Mahatma Gandhi ~
Under FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 AM   #33

I've throughly enjoyed the first few weeks of my retirement. A wonderful thing happened on Thursday. We finally sold our house after having it listed for 3 months.* I was beginning to get discouraged, as none of the homes in our neighborhood are selling in this San Diego suburb.* We ended up with a very short escrow which will close on July 28th.*Our realtor says that a shorter escrow is a good thing because there is less time for something to go wrong. A moving van will pick up our household goods the day before escrow closes.*We should be in our new home by August 2nd. We're anxious and looking forward to a little less congestion in Oregon and to no longer having to worry about house payments.

I first read ESRBob's book, "Work Less, Live More: The New Way to Retire Early" in November."* I just finished reading it again. I especially found comfort in Chapter 4, "Take 4% Forever."* I want to personally thank Bob Clyatt for all of his wisdom and experience.

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 AM   #34

Happy moving, Retire soon.

I'm glad you sold your house and hope the move to Oregon is a good move for you. Sounds like your retirement is off to a good start.

Bob's book is a good one, isn't it.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We're anxious and looking forward to a little less congestion in Oregon and to no longer having to worry about house payments.
First task: trade in those plates!* *

Did I miss your mention of your new community?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #36

Brat,

Funny you mentioned license plates. Our moving company lady told us that there was a time not long ago when Californians who went to Oregon and Washington to look for real estate, would have to rent a car once arriving there in order to maintain some level of secrecy. DW also says we should get new plates* ASAP.* By the way, we're moving to Bend in Central Oregon.

Retire Soon

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

The care licence plate thing is not such a big deal now that you are in significant company.* It will make it much easier to avoid questions like, "What did you get for your house?".*

It used to be that former Californians paid more than what the locals would pay for homes and there was fear that Californians would pave over the state.* Now that there are significant land use restrictions sprawl isn't such a big fear and everyone is paying too much for housing.

Welcome to the State of Cascadia (a state of mind that includes N. CA, OR, WA and BC).* Things are really different here!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

May I add my congratulations also, selling a house is such a nerve wracking business, not all real estate agents are competent. I have had both good and bad.

Keep us informed of how the move goes and what you learn about your new hometown

Lot's of luck
Kitty
Old 07-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've throughly enjoyed the first few weeks of my retirement. A wonderful thing happened on Thursday. We finally sold our house after having it listed for 3 months. I was beginning to get discouraged, as none of the homes in our neigborhood are selling in this San Diego suburb. We ended up with a very short escrow which will close on July 28th. Our realtor says that a shorter escrow is a good thing because there is less time for something to go wrong. A moving van will pick up our household goods the day before escrow closes. We should be in our new home by August 2nd. We're anxious and looking forward to a little less congestion in Oregon and to no longer having to worry about house payments.

I first read ESRBob's book, "Work Less, Live More: The New Way to Retire Early" in November." I just finished reading it again. I expecially found comfort in Chapter 4, "Take 4% Forever." I want to personally thank Bob Clyatt for all of his wisdom and experience.

Congratulations on selling the house, Retire Soon!

I spoke with friends just yesterday who are already in their new house in Virginia and have had their SD house on the market for three months. I found out during our conversation they finally got an offer (the first!) and it looks very solid with a short escrow.

Article in paper on Friday said San Diego home prices decreased in June 06 vs June 05.... first year-over-year decrease in ten years. You got out just in time!
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #40

Yes, Californiadreamer, I think we did get* out just in time.* My real estate agent says that the media is finally starting to realize that the market has slowed down. In our zip code, prices have dropped 2.9% from June 2005 to June 2006. Our escrow will close in 12 days, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

--Henry David Thoreau