Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I took an early retirement that saved someone's job.
I took an early retirement that saved someone's life....MINE!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I consider it in poor taste for a FIRE-qualified individual to retire and look for a job.
But then, maybe that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
REW, you're something else...
Hey, at least Midpack had the courtesy to warn consult with us before he hit the streets. Although come to think of it, this is probably the last place anyone would consider worth the effort of networking a career change, let alone productive results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I agree with this and Nords comments. I retired, and never intended to work again. But I ended up doing a little purchasing for an old boss as a favor. I didn't expect or even want anything to come of it, but it's turning into a fairly lucrative extremely part time business. I don't really consider it work, more an annoyance that shows a profit. I don't know how long it will last, but if it dies off, no problem.
My point is, opportunities come along if you are interested. If you are looking for a significant income type job, I'd try to set something up while I was still employed. But if you are just looking for something to do, relax and let it come to you.
I should clarify that spouse enjoys helping the beneficiaries far more than she cares to continually recalibrate the HQ REMFs and other administrative weenies. I'm not sure if this balance can be maintained. The "problem" is that if she continued to volunteer for free then several other paid employees would probably lose their jobs too, and she doesn't enjoy that sort of pressure either.

She got sucked into this whole gig nearly three years ago as a favor to a shipmate. At some point one should be able to consider a favor repaid and get back to one's own time-spending preferences.

Speaking from nearly 2.5 decades of marriage experience, I predict another year of drama & angst followed by an explosion and a self-imposed "firing". A happier (but less likely) alternative is that technology will leapfrog the need for this service and the non-profit will just shut down. Choose your dates and place your bets...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I just reread this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... my goal is to start an entirely new career in a completely different field...
A new career! Did you misspeak? Are you serious?

I don't know if I have posted this story here before, but my sister-in-law had a dentist who made a similar drastic change. He sent letters to all his patients, telling them that he no longer wished to practice dentistry, and wanted to become a ...

... carpenter!

This was some years ago, and I thought he was in his 40s then. I have been curious to learn if he found happiness in his new line of work.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I took an early retirement that saved someone's life....MINE!
That too.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't know if I have posted this story here before, but my sister-in-law had a dentist who made a similar drastic change. He sent letters to all his patients, telling them that he no longer wished to practice dentistry, and wanted to become a ...
... carpenter!
It's unusual.
Our dentist sold his successful business with all clients to a dental school graduate, moved to his hometown and ERed when he was in mid-40's.
Pasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha View Post
It's unusual.
Our dentist sold his successful business with all clients to a dental school graduate, moved to his hometown and ERed when he was in mid-40's.
I used to make fun of our pediatric dentist's Christmas cards, which usually showed a group portrait of him smiling amid 18 or so gorgeous knockout supermodel-quality hygienists and administrative staff. The photo captions should have been "Why is this man smiling?"

Today the joke's on us. He's turned over the business to his twin daughters, who are both brand-new pediatric dentists and even more gorgeous than his staff. Of course now he has to find something else to do all day, but at least he knows his business is in good hands. Why was he smiling indeed...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha View Post
It's unusual.
Yes, I could not believe it when I heard it. One thing I did not ask, and my sister-in-law might not know either, was whether her dentist wanted to become a construction carpenter, i.e. doing framing carpentry, or a fine cabinet maker. I hoped it was the latter.

I also did not think of asking about his practice. I assumed that he sold it and not just closed it down. Anyway, I would understand if he would simply retire, instead of following the "true calling" that he discovered that late in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I used to make fun of our pediatric dentist's Christmas cards, which usually showed a group portrait of him smiling amid 18 or so gorgeous knockout supermodel-quality hygienists and administrative staff.
Ah, so how did you get this pediatric dentist to make an exception to take you as a patient?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, so how did you get this pediatric dentist to make an exception to take you as a patient?
By "our" pediatric dentist I mean "my daughter's pediatric dentist".

He was mine only to the extent that we paid the bills...

Here, before REWahoo points out that I've rendered this thread worthless, his daughters are to his left & right:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Why is this man smiling 2010 edition.jpg (527.9 KB, 14 views)

Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
By "our" pediatric dentist I mean "my daughter's pediatric dentist".
Just teasing.